Archived information: Eligibility, How to Apply, Submission Guidance
This page contains out of date information made available strictly for archiving purposes.
Eligibility: Who can Apply
HHSignite (beta) is open to all HHS employees. HHSignite (beta) teams may include individuals from outside of HHS or government. However, Project Leads must be a full-time employee (FTE) of the Department.
Submitting a Proposal: How to Apply
Please review the contents on this page, particularly the submission guidance and the judging criteria, prior to submitting a proposal.
To Submit a Proposal:
- Download and complete the Proposal for Funding Template (DOC).
Submitted proposals should be single-spaced, 12-point Times New Roman font with 1-inch margins.
- Submit your proposal via email to email@example.com by 11:59pm PT May 15, 2013.
Please use the name of your proposal as the subject of your email.
Have questions about the submission process?
Wondering if you have an HHSignite (beta) worthy idea? You can contact the HHSignite (beta) team at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’re happy to provide guidance as appropriate and/or connect you to someone who can help.
You may also post your ideas for feedback to the HHSignite (beta) Yammer Group (access available only to employees of HHS and its family of Agencies). While you’re there, join the group to stay in touch with activities.
The following provides guidance to completing each section of the HHSignite (beta) Proposal for Funding:
- Project Title (max 140 characters)
- Requested Seed-Fund Investment
- Indicate the requested dollar amount. Proposals may ask for up to 10,000.
- Supervisor’s Information
- Identify the immediate supervisor of the Project Lead that is giving the approval, support, and freedom to carry out the efforts described in the proposal.
- Provide the name, email, and phone number of the approving immediate supervisor.
- The team members
- Teams can have no more than 8 members. The Project Lead must be an HHS employee and report to the above noted Supervisor.
- Teams that cut across offices, Agencies, and disciplines are preferred, although not required.
- Executive Summary
- In 125 words or less, provide a short abstract that captures the essence of the effort.
- Indicate which of the following categories is most relevant to your initiative (you may only pick one; definitions above): Process Efficiencies, Technologies, Relationships/Partnerships, Communication, Workforce Development, or Sustainability. If your submission does not fit in any of these, list “other.”
- Secretarial Priorities
- Indicate which of the Secretarial Priorities your proposed effort aligns with (you may pick more than one).
- Project Description
- This is the bulk of your application and is your opportunity to fully sell not only the idea behind the effort, but also the methods and metrics that define and determine the success of the effort you’d like to implement. The following are questions and prompts to consider addressing in this section, which must be 2 pages or less in length.
- Background: Provide any history necessary that arrives at the status quo process / environment that your project will be implemented in.
- Describe the innovation itself. Are you pursuing a proof-of-concept for a completely new idea? Or are you working off of an existing project / process but taking an unconventional step?
- Briefly describe the project management plan, who will do what by when. Selected proposals will have an early period of idea incubation where their proposed approaches and assumptions can get challenged and defined. As such, proposals should focus on the framework within which they’ll operate without necessarily scripting out the exact and specific solution. For example, major project milestones and their goals should be mentioned.
- Could the idea – particularly if scaled - assist a significant number of HHS beneficiaries/stakeholders, a priority subset of beneficiaries/stakeholders, or improve a process used by a significant portion of HHS?
- Why is HHSignite (beta) funding and support being requested?
- How does your project fit with related efforts in the Agency? Is there already support for the project from other groups (internal or external) working in the same issue area?
- What does the success of your project would look like? Include any qualitative and/or quantitative metrics that can be used to evaluate the progress of your effort. Include any baseline metrics if available.
- What would be the immediate next step following the 6 month effort? Is the project scalable? How could it be expanded and/or further supported if successful?
- Return to Main HHSignite (beta) webpage
- HHSignite (beta) Yammer Group and the Titles & Executive Summaries of all Submitted Proposals (only available to employees of HHS and the family of HHS Agencies)
- HHSignite (beta) Judging and Review Process
- Blog Post: HHSignite (beta): The 13 Selected & The Bank of Ideas
- Blog Post: HHSignite (beta): An Innovation Seed-Funding Opportunity
- Blog Post: HHSignite (beta): The What’s and Why’s of Your Proposal