Lessons on Sustainability
Market your program effectively
- It is important to ensure program visibility in the community.
- Share positive results of the program with the community and with key partners.
- Engage the local media regarding the issues and the services you offer to address them.
- Document program development and implementation to assist with future replication efforts.
Be engaged in the community
- Engage the community and other partners in your efforts so that they have an interest in your sustainability.
- Make sure that you nourish those partnerships.
- Program staff should be involved in community events and partner activities.
- Provide opportunities for community partners to offer their services to program clients.
- Develop an interagency collaboration to address needs of pregnant and parenting teens.
- Collaborate with local schools for long-term programming.
- Work with established universities and community partners to help with sustainability. Working with student interns reduces the cost of program implementation.
Be reliable, unique, and effective with what you do
- Hire competent staff with different passions and expertise.
- Design the project to be family and system focused.
- Have an agency grant writer who continues to seek support for the program.
- Diversify funding.