Title X is the only federal program dedicated solely to the provision of family planning and related preventive services. The Office of Population Affairs (OPA) administers the Title X program and serves as the focal point to advise the Secretary and the Assistant Secretary for Health on a wide range of reproductive health topics, including family planning, adolescent pregnancy, sterilization and other population issues.
The Office of Population Affairs operates under the direction of the Deputy Assistant Secretary for Population Affairs.
Family Planning Mission
To assist individuals in determining the number and spacing of their children through the provision of voluntary, confidential and low-cost education, counseling, and related comprehensive medical services to eligible clients:
- To assist in making comprehensive, voluntary family planning services available to all persons desiring such services;
- To coordinate domestic population and family planning research with the present and future needs of family planning programs;
- To enable public and nonprofit private entities to plan and develop comprehensive programs of family planning services;
- To develop and make readily available information, including educational materials, on family planning and population growth to all persons desiring such information;
- To evaluate and improve the effectiveness of family planning service programs and population research; and
- To assist in training staff to effectively carry out family planning services
Embryo Adoption Program
The Office of Population Affairs also has overall responsibility for the Embryo Awareness Adoption Program. The program supports grants, cooperative agreements and/or contracts which aim to increase public awareness of embryo donation and adoption. The program may also support projects that provide services which make this family building option more attainable for infertile individuals.