Our Commitment to Community Integration
June 22nd 2010 is the 11th Anniversary of the Supreme Court’s decision in Olmstead v. L.C. Decision, which held that the unjustified institutional isolation of people with disabilities is a form of unlawful discrimination under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is strongly committed to implementation of the Olmstead decision and the integration mandate of the Americans with Disabilities Act, which affirms the right of persons with disabilities to obtain services in the “most integrated setting appropriate” to their needs.
What We Are Doing
To foster collaborations that further the implementation of the U.S. Supreme Court’s Olmstead decision, President Obama announced the Year of Community Living and HHS launched the Community Living Initiative in June 2009. Among other activities, HHS Secretary Sebelius is working with Secretary Donovan of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to identify ways to improve access to housing, community supports and independent living arrangements.
HHS’ Office for Civil Rights is also partnering with the Department of Justice to promote “vigorous enforcement of the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Olmstead decision and to maximize the effectiveness of federal leadership in promoting civil rights and setting forth the Administration’s position in the federal courts.”
The Community Living Initiative Includes You
The success of the Community Living Initiative depends on hearing real life examples of how the system can better serve real people. We welcome and appreciate comments and recommendations sent to email@example.com.
- HHS, HUD Partner to Allow Rental Assistance to Support Independent Living for Non-Elderly Persons with Disabilities
- HHS Announces Availability of $60 Million in Affordable Care Act Grants to Help People Navigate their Health and Long-term Care Options
- HHS Announces Initiatives in Support of the “Year of Community Living”
- Serving People with Disabilities in the Most Integrated Setting: Community Living and Olmstead
- Centers for Medicaid and Medicare Services’ Community Living Initiative website
- Statement by HHS Secretary Sebelius on 10th Anniversary of U.S. Supreme Court Decision Olmstead v. L.C., June 22, 2009
- Statement by President Obama to Commemorate Anniversary of Olmstead & Announcement of New Initiatives to Assist Americans with Disabilities on June 22, 2009.