Other Federal Resources
- HHS interpretation of “Federal Public Benefit” identifying HHS programs that fit within the 1996 welfare law’s definition (August 4, 1998) [PDF]
- HHS - Office of the Assistant Secretary for Planning and Evaluation: "The Application Process for TANF, Food Stamps, Medicaid, and SCHIP: Issues for Agencies and Applicants, Including Immigrants and Limited English Speakers" (January 2003) -- A study exploring the application and eligibility process of public assistance and how it could effect eligible families' access to benefits, especially immigrants and limited English speakers. Key findings noted.
- Interagency Notice on INS (USCIS) reporting - guidance for benefit granting agencies (DOJ, INS, HHS, DOL, SSA, September 28, 2000) [HTML]
- Public Charge Guidance - clarifies the definition of “public charge” and types of government assistance that do and do not affect a public charge determination by INS (USCIS) (DOJ-INS May 26, 1999) [PDF] [HTML]
- “Final Specification of Community Programs Necessary for the Protection of Life and Safety,” Attorney General’s guidance that identifies community programs, services, or assistance for which all non-citizens remain eligible (DOJ January 16, 2001) [PDF, HTML]
- INS (USCIS) Interim Guidance on Verification of Citizenship and Immigration Status (62 Fed. Reg. 61344, November 17, 1997) [PDF]
- DOJ pamphlet on “Federal Protection Against National Origin Discrimination ” (Available in Arabic, Cambodian, Chinese, English, Farsi, French, Haitian Creole, Hindi, Hmong, Korean, Laotian, Punjabi, Russian, Spanish, Tagalog, Urdu, Vietnamese) [PDF]
- DOJ Initiative to Combat the Post September 11th Discriminatory Backlash
- Information on how to file a civil rights complaint with DOJ Civil Rights Division
- Institute of Medicine Report: “Unequal Treatment: Confronting Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Care” (March 20, 2002)
- USDA Food and Nutrition Services immigrant information:
- HUD Guidance on Post-9/11 Housing Discrimination - - rights and responsibilities of landlords and residents in preventing housing discrimination.
- Last revised: September 13, 2007