The National Vaccine Advisory Committee (NVAC)
Final Agenda for Feb. 6, 2009 National Vaccine Advisory Committee meeting with Stakeholders on the draft strategic National Vaccine Plan
8:00 - 8:15
Room 800: Introduction - purpose/objectives of working with stakeholders (Drs. Birkhead and Gellin)
(Conference call-in #: 1-888-390-3413 (passcode: 60302) 8:00 am - 9:15 am
8:15 - 8:45
Introduction to the National Vaccine Plan - purpose, process, scope, approach to completing the plan, structure, comments on stakeholder input to date, describe stakeholder engagement process by NVAC, NVPO/HHS, and IOM, and comments on developing an implementation plan (Dr. Raymond Strikas, NVPO)
8:45 - 9:15
9:15 - 9:30
Break to move to Goals' working groups
9:30 - 11:30
Goals' working groups
Working group's tasks are to review comments received by HHS to date on the relevant Goal of the draft strategic National Plan, and gather input from those attending the meeting, using the questions posed in the Federal Register Notice of January 14, 2009:
1. Comments on priorities for the National Vaccine Plan for a ten-year period: What do you recommend be the top priorities for vaccines and the immunization enterprise in the United States and globally? Why are those priorities most important to you?
2. Comments on the goals, objectives, and strategies for the National Vaccine Plan for a ten-year period: Please comment on the existing goals, objectives, and strategies in the draft Plan, and suggest specific goals, objectives, or strategies to be added to it, if the existing ones do not address your concerns. Are there any goals, objectives or strategies in the draft strategic Plan that should be discarded or revised? Which ones, and why?
3. Comments on the indicators for the National Vaccine Plan for a ten-year period: Please comment on the existing indicators in the draft Plan, and suggest target estimates for them. Please suggest new indicators to be added to it, if the existing ones do not address your concerns. Are there any indicators in the draft strategic Plan that should be discarded or revised? Which ones, and why?
4. Comments on stakeholders' roles in the National Vaccine Plan: Please identify which stakeholders you believe should have responsibility for enacting the objectives and strategies listed in the draft Plan, as well as for any new objectives and strategies you suggest. Specifically identify roles your organization can play in the Plan.
5. Plan for next workgroup meeting by teleconference, to complete review of comments by stakeholders.
6. Summarize major recommendations and considerations received and discussed, for presentation to entire meeting
Goal # 1: Develop new and improved vaccines: Rm 425 A
Goal # 2: Enhance the safety of vaccines and vaccination practices: Rm 305 A
Goal # 3: Support informed vaccine decision-making by the public, providers, and policy-makers: Rm 341 F
Goal # 4: Ensure a stable supply of recommended vaccines and achieve better use of existing vaccines to prevent disease, disability and death in the US: Rm 540 D
Goal # 5: Increase global prevention of death and disease through safe and effective vaccination: Rm 742 G
11:30 - 12:30
12:30 - 1:45
Working groups resume, now stratified by sector (i.e., vaccine industry, public health, health professional organizations, health care payers and plans, and other groups [e.g., advocacy groups, non-governmental organizations, individuals without affiliation]) to allow them to address what their sector can do in one or more of the Goals.
Vaccine Industry and Vaccine Researchers: Rm 425 A
Public Health Organizations: Rm 540 D
Health professional organizations Rm 305 A
Health care payers and plans: Rm 742 G
Other groups: Rm 341 F
1:45 - 2:00
Summarize major recommendations and considerations received and discussed, for presentation to entire meeting audience.
2:00 - 2:15
Transition to room 800 for full Committee meeting
2:15 - 3:15
Goals' working chairs present summary of major recommendations and considerations (first from the Goals' discussions from all chairs, then from the sectors' discussions from all chairs - 5 minutes each from each chair on each session)
(Conference call-in #: 1-888-390-3413 (passcode: 60302) 2:15 pm � 3:30 pm
3:15 - 3:30
Summary comments (Drs. Birkhead and Gellin)