FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
December 6, 2010
Contact: HHS Press Office
HHS announces Secretary’s Tribal Advisory Committee (STAC) members
First meeting to take place in December 2010
HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius announced today the individuals who will serve on the Secretary’s Tribal Advisory Committee (STAC), the first tribal advisory committee established to advise the Secretary in the history of HHS.
“I want to thank everyone who expressed an interest in serving on the STAC; an overwhelming number of nominations were received from a broad range of perspectives and experiences,” said HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius. “I am excited to work with those who have been chosen, and look forward to their advice to HHS on our government-to-government relationship and delivery of services to Tribal communities”.
The Committee is comprised of one primary representative from each of the twelve areas of the Indian Health Service (IHS), as well as five at-large national representatives. The first meeting of the STAC will take place December 13-14, 2010.
The Secretary’s Tribal Advisory Committee is one of several Tribal initiatives undertaken this year and will make significant progress towards reshaping the way that the Department works with Tribes. The establishment of the STAC will bring the work of HHS reform and improvement efforts to a new level.
The STAC’s primary purpose is to seek consensus, exchange views, share information, and provide advice and/or recommendations; or facilitate any other interaction related to intergovernmental responsibilities or administration of HHS programs, including those that arise explicitly or implicitly under statute, regulation or executive order.
Learn more about the Secretary’s Tribal Advisory Committee (STAC) read the STAC charter at: http://www.hhs.gov/intergovernmental/tribal/.
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
Secretary’s Tribal Advisory Committee
AT-LARGE REPRESENTATIVES (5 Slots/2 Alternates)
- Jefferson Keel, Lt. Governor, Chickasaw Nation
- Reno Franklin, Vice Chairman, Kashia Band of Pomo Indians of the Stewarts Point Rancheria
- Tex Hall, Chairman, Mandan, Hidatsa & Arikara Nation
- Ken Lucero, Tribal Council Member, Pueblo of Zia
- Robert McGhee, Tribal Council Treasurer, Poarch Band of Creek Indians
- Gil Vigil, Tribal Council Member, Pueblo of Tesuque
- Roberta Bisbee, Tribal Council Member, Nez Perce Tribe
- Robert Cournoyer, Chairman Yankton Sioux Tribe
- Tony Reider, President Flandreau Santee Sioux Tribe
- William Micklin, 1st Vice President, Tlingit and Hiada Indian Tribe of Alaska
- Andy Tueber, Jr. Tribal Council Member, Woody Island Tribal Council
- Norman Cooeyate, Governor, Pueblo of Zuni
- Gary Hayes, Chairman Elect/Vice Chairman, Ute Mountain Ute
- Cathy Abramson, Tribal Council Representative, Sault Ste. Marie Tribe
- Kathy Hughes, Vice Chairwoman, Oneida Tribe of Indians of Wisconsin
- L. Jace Killsback, Tribal Council Representative, Northern Cheyenne Tribe
- Cedric Black Eagle, Chairman, Crow Tribe
- Arch Super, Tribal Chairman, Karuk Tribe
- Stacy Dixon, Tribal Chairman, Susanville Indian Rancheria
- Buford Rolin, Tribal Chairman, Poarch Band of Creek Indians
- Cheryl Frye-Cromwell, Tribal Council Member, Mashpee Wampanoag Tribe
- Joe Shirley, Jr. President, Navajo Nation
- Anslem Roanhorse, Executive Director, Navajo Division of Health
- Steve Ortiz, Tribal Chairman, Prairie Band of Potawatomi Nation
- Melanie Knight, Secretary of State, Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma
- Herman Honanie, Tribal Vice Chairman, Hopi Tribe
- David Kwail, Tribal Chairman, Yavapai-Apache Nation
- Cheryle Kennedy, Tribal Council Chairwoman, Confederated Tribes of the Grande Ronde
- Elizabeth Ann Lindroth, Tribal Council Member, Shoshone-Bannock Tribes
- Chester Antone, Tribal Council Representative, Tohono O’odham Nation
Will be selected from the Pascua Yaqui Tribe
Note: All HHS press releases, fact sheets and other press materials are available at http://www.hhs.gov/news.
Follow HHS on Twitter @HHSgov and sign up for HHS Email Updates.
Follow HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius on Twitter @Sebelius .
Last revised: May 7, 2011