The White House Office of Management and Budget (OMB) announces initiative to support Acquisition Innovation Labs in government
- On March 9, OMB announced a new initiative to accelerate the establishment of Acquisition Innovation Labs in Federal agencies. Their blog post, Fostering a Culture of Innovation Across Government through Acquisition Innovation Labs, provides a guideline for agencies to successfully adopt emerging acquisition best practices in order to more effectively deliver services to the American people.
The Partnership for Public Services releases new report
- On February 6, The Partnership for Public Service released Innovation is a Contract Sport: Ways that agencies can achieve innovative outcomes through acquisitions. This report outlines some key takeaways for agencies to consider as they work toward improving innovation and collaboration when acquiring new contracts.
Open Detail Opportunities
HHS Buyers Club is seeking multiple people to join the team for a 6 month detail. A full time commitment is preferred, but part time will be considered as well.
We’re looking for people who want to improve innovation and collaboration on government contracts and projects. An understanding of technology, federal acquisition lifecycle, project management, IT services, and agile development are preferred. And of course, a sense of humor always helps.
Potential projects include, but aren’t limited to, the following:
- Developing and implementing effective communication strategies;
- Collaborating with stakeholders on IT service acquisitions (preferably face‐to-face);
- Developing or participating in the development of effective training and education;
- Engaging internal and external stakeholders to determine acquisition gaps and needs, then collaborating to test solutions;
- Leading or participating in workshops for stakeholders.
Please direct any questions or submit your resume and statement of interest to Mark.Naggar@hhs.gov.
Purpose of HHS Buyers Club
Communities of Practice
We are looking for feedback and participation in the HHS Buyers Club. Here are a couple different ways how you can get involved.
HHS Buyers Club Yammer Group
The HHS Buyers Club Yammer Group is for HHS Employees only. Join the HHS Buyers Club Yammer Group.
Federal-wide Buyers Club Listserv
All Federal government employees with an interest in this topic are invited to join a community of practice around innovative acquisition by signing up for the new “Buyers Club” email group (open to all .gov and .mil email addresses). Join the Federal-wide Buyers Club Listserve.
Buyers Club Strategy
- This document is example of an innovative acquisition. It’s a use case using a Two-Stage, Down-Select Process for the HHS Office of the Assistant Secretary for Planning and Evaluation
- This document provides successful best practices (or “plays”) for digital services to be used as effective guidance for agile implementation and goes hand-in-hand with the TechFAR. Given the many challenges of our digital services projects, use of this playbook should contribute to higher project success.
TechFAR Handbook (TechFAR)
- The TechFAR highlights the flexibilities in the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) that can help agencies implement “plays” from the Digital Services Playbook while allowing contractors to utilize an iterative, customer-driven software development process, which is successful in the private sector.
- Modular contracting and agile implementation is supported by the FAR and explained in this valuable resource for procurement and other stakeholders.
- We are using material from this document to develop new acquisition models, test methods, and educate stakeholders.
- We are developing tools for contracting officers and program people can use to make the right decisions when doing acquisitions.
- View the innovation acquisition decision diagram narrative.
Frequently Asked Questions
For more information, check out our FAQs page.