Credentialing departments in hospitals, health plans, Federally Qualified Health Centers, long term care facilities, ambulatory surgical centers and others must obtain information on health care practitioners before granting privileges or membership. State licensing boards also obtain information prior to issuing a license or certification. Health care entities are required to obtain primary source verification, requiring them to reach out to multiple collection system to obtain the necessary credentialing information. Maintaining multiple, disconnected repositories of pertinent data used to credential health care professionals is expensive and ineffectual.
HRSA is engaged in a collaborative initiative to create a central portal (a one stop shop) for stakeholders, e.g. health care licensing boards, hospital credentialing departments and health care professionals to access and obtain necessary credentialing information. The project involves consolidating or synchronizing relevant systems, which include HRSA’s National Practitioner Data Bank (NPDB), the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) National Plan and Provider Enumeration System (NPPES), the CMS Provider Enrollment, Chain, and Ownership System (PECOS), and the Office of the Inspector General’s List of Excluded Individuals/Entities (LEIE). Consolidating the credentialing portion of these systems will provide ready access to pertinent data, achieve time and cost savings; service customers more fully, enhance the integrity and quality of the collective data and achieve economies of scale, and provide a platform to pass greater savings onto users.
HRSA is looking for two entrepreneurs with backgrounds in technology and data analytics, specifically the development and implementation of consumer service platforms. Following are desired skills and qualifications:
- Visionary leader in business intelligence and data analytics who can solve sophisticated business problems with data searching, matching, etc.
- Large-scale data mining and data/system integration experience
- Experience with the planning, design and development of web portal with centralized reporting and analytical capabilities of multiple disparate transactional information systems
- Extensive understanding of enterprise data management and methodologies for addressing challenges with data standardization, data architecture, data matching algorithms, and data modeling skills, both in detailed data modeling as well as object and entity modeling
- Expert in portal technology (encompassing COTS software, the availability of technical experts, and component strength and weaknesses)
- Knowledge of and experience with extraction, transformation and loading technology, system component and data integration
- Knowledge of information technology security related to the protection of Personally Identifiable Information (PII)
- Past project management experience, especially in design, implementing and measuring the success of pilots
- Ability to engage with various stakeholder communities and create meaningful change
HOW WILL YOU BENEFIT FROM THIS POSITION?
As an entrepreneur you have the chance to make a meaningful difference in lives of millions of Americans. This project will revolutionize how healthcare credentialing occurs. You will have the chance to network with individuals across government and health care sectors.
If this opportunity sounds like a perfect fit you, apply now or share the opportunity with someone. Applications will be open from May 5, 2014 – July 16, 2014.
Rebecca Spitzgo, Health Resources and Services Administration
Ernia Hughes, Health Resources and Services Administration
Cynthia Grubbs, Health Resources and Services Administration
Thomas Sowinski, Department of Health and Human Services’ Office of the Inspector General
Tina Fuchs, Department of Health and Human Services’ Office of the Inspector General
Jill Wright, Department of Health and Human Services’ Office of the Inspector General
Richard Gilbert, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
Zabeen Chong, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services