The Health Datapalooza 2014 Code-a-Palooza challenge is open for submissions!
The Health Datapalooza code-a-thon, known as Code-a-Palooza, was a great success last year with 10 teams sweating through 45 hours of coding to develop the best tool to improve quality of care, and compete for $25,000 in prizes.
This year we have upped the ante, with $35,000 in total prizes at stake, and by making this year’s Code-a-Palooza a challenge, giving participants the month of May to build out their tools. Finalists will convene at Health Datapalooza June 1-3 in Washington, D.C. to present live demos to our panel of judges and for the awards ceremony. Proposals are due Friday, April 25.
The challenge, a collaboration among the Health Data Consortium, the Office of the National Coordinator for Health IT (ONC) and Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), will allow teams to use CMS Medicare Fee-for-Service Provider Utilization and Payment Data being made publicly available for the first time to create interactive data visualization tools to help consumers improve their health care decision-making. The visualizations should be customizable by the user; for example, patients should be able to enter their own health and/or claims information, such as demographic features or clinical attributes, to support their decision-making.
- Wednesday, April 9 – Code-a-Palooza opens for submissions
- Thursday, April 17, 4:00-5:00 p.m. ET – Code-a-Palooza webinar
- Friday, April 25 – Visualization proposals of no more than 750 words due
- Friday, May 2 – Top five to ten finalists notified
- Throughout May – Finalists build out visualization tools
- June 1-3 at Health Datapalooza – Finalists present a live demo to a panel of judges and winners are announced
Why should you participate?
- Code-a-Palooza applicants will be eligible for a discounted Health Datapalooza registration rate of $195
- Finalists receive two complimentary registrations to Health Datapalooza 2014
- Gain recognition for your team and network with leaders in healthcare
- First place team awarded $20,000, second place $10,000 and third $5,000
- To learn more about this year’s Code-a-Palooza challenge and submit your proposal, please visit the Health Datapalooza website and join us for a webinar on Thursday, April 17 from 4:00-5:00 p.m. ET.
Watch a video of last year’s winners, Hippocratic Code from MedStar Institute for Innovation, to learn more about the Health Datapalooza Code-a-Palooza experience.