ER Access & Doctor Choice
The Affordable Care Act helps preserve your choice of doctors and opens access to out-of-network emergency services.
- You select the doctor: You can choose any available participating primary care provider as your doctor and choose any available participating pediatrician as your child’s primary care doctor.
- Visit your OB-GYN: You can seek coverage for obstetrical or gynecological (OB-GYN) care from a participating OB-GYN specialist without a referral.
Emergency Medical Services
Health plans cannot require:
- Higher copayments or co-insurance for out-of-network emergency room services
- Approval before seeking emergency room services from a provider or hospital outside your plan’s network
- Grandfathered individual health insurance policies are not required to follow these rules.
For More Information
- Read the regulation at Regulations.gov.
- Find detailed technical and regulatory information on doctor choice and other rights.
- Patient's Bill of Rights: Learn about other consumer protections in the health care law.
Content last reviewed on December 9, 2014