Prevention and Wellness
Under the Affordable Care Act, many insurers are required to cover certain preventive services at no cost to you.
Preventive Care for Adults
You and your family may be eligible for preventive services such as
- Blood pressure screenings
- Cholesterol screenings
- Osteoporosis screenings
Preventive Care for Women
Under the Affordable Care Act there are 22 preventative services available to women, including services for pregnant women, at no extra cost within cost-sharing plans.
- See the full list of no-cost screenings available for women
- Learn more about how the Affordable Care Act benefits women
Preventive Care for Children
Under the Affordable Care Act there are 26 preventative services available to children, including certain vaccinations.
- See the full list of no-cost screenings available for children
- Learn more about how the Affordable Care Act benefits children
Preventive Care for Seniors
The Affordable Care Act strengthens Medicare, offers eligible seniors a range of preventive services with no cost-sharing, and provides discounts on drugs when in the coverage gap known as the “donut hole.”
For More Information
- Visit healthfinder.gov to learn the most important prevention steps you should take.
- The National Prevention Council (NPC) leads the government’s efforts in prevention, wellness, and health promotion.
- Vaccines.gov is your one-stop shop for information about immunization.
Content last reviewed on December 19, 2014