Health Insurance Marketplace
The Health Insurance Marketplace is designed to make buying health coverage easier and more affordable. The Marketplace allows you to:
- Compare health insurance plans
- Get answers to questions about your health care
- Find out if you are eligible for tax credits for private insurance or health programs like the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
- Enroll in a health insurance plan that meets your needs
The Open Enrollment period runs November 15, 2014 – February 15, 2015 for coverage that begins as early as January 1, 2015. Learn more at HealthCare.gov.
Coverage Options outside Open Enrollment
Outside the Open Enrollment period, certain life changing events may qualify you for a Special Enrollment Period in the Marketplace. Learn more about getting coverage outside of Open Enrollment.
- Special Enrollment Periods for complex issues
- Qualifying life events (such as getting married, having a baby, or moving outside of your insurer’s coverage area)
- Medicaid and CHIP enrollment continues year round.
Using Your New Marketplace Coverage
If you’ve joined the millions of Americans who signed up for Marketplace coverage, we can help you learn how to use it. Here are some steps you can take right now to ensure that you have access to health care once your coverage begins.
- Make sure you're covered. If you think you've signed up for health insurance but haven't heard from your insurance company, we can help you find out if you're covered.
- Get prescription medication under your new plan. Health plans will help pay the cost of certain prescription medications. We can help you find out if your prescription is covered.
- Get medical care and find a doctor. Most health plans give you the best deal on services when you see an “in-network” doctor who has a contract with your health plan.
- Learn more about using your new insurance coverage.
For More Information
Content created by Assist. Sec./Public Affairs - Digital Communications Division
Content last reviewed on November 18, 2014