Improved Window Shopping on HealthCare.gov to Help Consumers Enroll

Monday, December 2, 2013

We’ve been making improvements to HealthCare.gov over the past several weeks to help consumers enroll in affordable health coverage, and today, we’ve launched an improved window shopping feature for consumers.

Consumers can now see more detailed information about each Marketplace plan offered in their area before applying. This new tool will display plan prices much more accurately, based on the household information entered. Consumers can compare plans, covered benefits, physician and hospital networks, and more. No login or application is required to access this feature. Just answer a few simple questions to see plans and prices in your area.

Consumers will still need to complete the Marketplace application to find out if they qualify for lower costs, but this new tool is a much enhanced version of an earlier one, and one more way consumers can get information to help them get ready to enroll and find a plan that fits their needs and budget.

Today, we also provided an update on a few metrics and examples of additional fixes we’ve put in place:

• As of noon today (from 12am to 12pm), we had seen 375,000 visitors to HealthCare.gov – consumers who are learning, applying, shopping and enrolling.  Yesterday, we explained that the site can handle more than 800,000 visitors a day, and we are on pace for that to happen today.
  • Due to the demand we’re seeing, we’ve deployed our new customer queuing system, or waiting room, to help manage traffic. At approximately 10 am, our operations team - monitoring traffic patterns in real time - put the queuing system in place when they saw response times and error messages start to appear for consumers in the application process. Over the twelve hours from midnight to noon, the response time was more than 2 seconds and error rate averaged 0.9 percent.
  • Over the last several weeks, we’ve made a number of changes to improve the accuracy of the “834” messages to issuers.  The team, working with issuers, determined that more than 80 percent of 834 production errors were due to a bug that prevented a Social Security number from being included in the application, which in turn caused the system not to generate an 834. That bug has been fixed. Other issues related to the remaining 834 production issues have either been fixed or are in testing so that the fixes can be deployed soon.

Comments

Submitted by Heiner Schwutke on
I have been trying all day, for over 14 hours to get access. Guess what. No website access, no phone call answered and no chat possible. Have a good day. You deserve it. Just let the citizens behind and waste more time and tax dollars. This rollout has not been improved since October. It is ridiculous and frustrating and no end in sight.
Submitted by Heiner Schwutke on
Unfortunately, after nearly 4 weeks after the promised date that everything should be working, I am unable to submit a new application after the previous one had to be removed per healthcare.gov advice because the system is not capable to process "old applications. Today I resubmitted only to learn that not all information was processed and the system requests to call in. No chat, no person on the phone available though. The whole system is a complete waste of time and waste of taxpayer's moneys. Unfortunately the power is with the government and we citizens are just the imbeciles that support with money, which is wasted. I do not see anybody with honor or telling the truth. So far only broken promises. We the people maybe do not deserve better because it was us who elected the incompetent experts and politicians. I see tax dollars wasted, not just a couple thousands, this is millions and no resolution in sight.
Submitted by John on
I am now enrolled in Florida, and have called them, verified my member Id, received a statement and sent in the bill. ONE comment I would make is I had to hunt through the policies to find one with specific amount stated for copay to Doctor and Copay to Specialist. The cheaper plans need to have this amount as part of the plan so you know how much you have to pay to go to the doctors office. These percentage things and all that are confusing and not helpful at all to someone on a budget. I bought the cheapest plan I could find with the cost stated right up front.
advice for people still having problems after starting over with a new application or creating a new account is to call the 800 number and immediately ask to speak to an ARC (Advanced Resolution Center) Supervisor.
Unless your record is flagged in the system, asking to speak to an ARC Supervisor will be useless as none of the representatives will transfer you directly.
Submitted by joe on
We were finally able to get to the point of selecting a plan. We were saving and comparing plans but then we started losing the plans we had not saved or compared. At one point we opened up the "save to plan 0" option and I think that may have been a mistake. Anyway now I am trying to just clear all the saved/compare plans and start from scratch to look at all the plans. But we can only see the saved and compared plans. If I go to see the plans without logging in I see 58 plans for my county. But when I log into my account I only see 8 plans. I just spent at least an hour with the help desk and they were unable to help. Anyone experience this problem and figured out a solution?
Submitted by Barry on
This is not going well at all - I'm very un-impressed.... It's a huge disappointment to see how poorly this roll-out was executed. Hundreds of millions of dollars wasted..... I am extrememly disappointed in all of this...
Submitted by Beth on
Help! I have been stuck at the final screen where you select Confirm to enroll in your chosen plans. I have called and called and talked to multiple people at the 800 number, at the insurance company I've chosen, and no one can do anything until the code is fixed. They just tell me to keep trying. I get the same error each time, and I have tried every day since I completed the application and selected my plan in early November. Would it help me to delete my application and start over? Everyone, including 2 supervisors, at the 800 number said no, because my application is completed and submitted. The error is in completing my enrollment. I see some computer experts on here commenting; please help me if you can.
I would start over anyway. In fact, I would start over with an entirely new account with a new username, new password, and different email address. This has worked for others.
Submitted by Carol Jansen on
We have applied twice and have errors in the application that need to be fixed. Have been told twice that someone would be calling in two to five days. Have not received a call either time and are getting close to not getting insurance by the dec23rd deadline. Please tell me what i need to do. VERY FRUSTRATED Carol Jansen
If you have error's in your application did you try to remove that one and start over? If you keep getting the same error's with a new application then follow tony's advice and create a new account with a new username, new password, and different email address.
Submitted by linda on
please! i have been trying to create an account for over a week.it takes all my info and accepts my passwords,but when i attempt to create,it tells me to try again!
Submitted by tony on
After trying since oct 1 to pick out insurance, finally today dec 6 I was able to complete the whole process...the last two months have been spent tryin to view eligibility results.. Then 3 days ago I couldnt even log on to my acct....so today I just created new user name and password and email address...started new appl and was able to get my eligibility results and able to see my choices of coverage with tax credit subtracted...yippee lol good luck to everyone out there...
Submitted by Yana on
Just wanted to report that I don't see the envelope icon for the messages section that used to be in the top right corner of the screen. I get notifications in my email about messages in the marketplace, but when I log in I can't find a way to read them! So frustrating.
Submitted by John on
I have tried to get insurance for a month and a half, no luck,
Here is the official statement from HHS about what to do if you're stuck: "If you’ve tried Healthcare.gov – especially in October or early November – and your application seems stuck or you can’t move forward, try starting the process again. First, log in to your account, select the application in progress and hit “remove.” Then close and re-open your web browser. Log back into your Healthcare.gov account and start a new application. Having trouble? Call our Customer Call Center at 1-800-318-2596." This is exactly what has been recommended in numerous comments here. There is a screenshot of where to find the 'remove' button here: http://www.hhs.gov/healthcare/facts/blog/2013/12/marketplace-what-you-need-to-know.html along with other suggestions.
Submitted by tony on
this would be nice but last 3 days cant login to my acct...I even created new acct with diff user name and password and login fails on that one too...
Submitted by Robert on
The website works flawlessly. You may need to delete an ID if stuck in a loop, then renter data. Takes about 10 minutes. Verified and enrolled in Health and Dental plan 12/5/13. To make 1st pmt to be effective 1/1/14. Way to Go OBAMACARE excellent recovery from a rough rollout. Also, Google Chrome works much better than other search engines.
Submitted by gt on
I can not get past the View Eligibility Results page in either Safari or Firefox using OSX10.4.11 Every time I press the green button, the screen goes to white and stays there. No downloads, no pdfs, no progress bar, no pinwheel. Just a white page. Yes, I've cleared the cache, re-booted, allowed pop-ups, yada, yada, yada.... Apparently, the application can't go further until I get through the Eligibility Results page, which is not happening. Any suggestions?
Submitted by Jackie on
You may need Adobe Acrobat Reader installed in your computer to view the eligibility results.
As has been stated many times, start over with a new application. Use the new 'remove' button to delete the current application, logout, restart your browser. Make sure the your browser and java plugin are the current versions but don't use Firefox because it does not work well at all.
Submitted by James Wimberley on
If press reports are accurate, healthgov signed up 29,000 people on December 1 and 2. If true, that's a HUGE success. Jeff Zients and team deserve warmest congratulations. I hope they think the late nights and cold pizza were worth it. IMHO they have saved the Affordable Care Act. They can tell it in years to come to their grandchildren. "Old men forget; yet all shall be forgot, But he’ll remember, with advantages, What feats he did that day." From the sublime to the trivial: it would be nice to have a signup counter for healthgov on the home page, updated daily. To be precise, two unaudited counters - one for Medicaid and SCHIP, the other for marketplace policies.
Submitted by Wonk on
Any more updates coming? Love these on going fix reports. More please.
Submitted by Roger on
Day 5 now and can't login. Today I type in username OK, when typing in password the cusor moves as I type but nothing appears (no black dots). Click login and my username disappears.
Did you click on the 'having trouble logging in' link and follow those steps? Did you try to reset your password? If you still have trouble then create an entirely new account with a new username, new password, and different email address.