Missing 834s as Percentage of Enrollment Now Near Zero

Saturday, December 14, 2013

As the technical improvements to HealthCare.gov continue making a difference to consumers using the website, our attention remains on addressing issues with the more “back end” parts of the system, including the creation and accuracy of 834 transaction forms.  These transaction forms are processed by health plans when consumers choose a product in the Marketplace, and our priority is working to make sure that every 834 form – past and present – is accurate, and that consumers are able to successfully enroll in the coverage of their choice.

Our dedicated 834 team – led by our General Contractor QSSI and working in partnership with issuers nationwide – is laser focused on ensuring we’ve made improvements to the system for the long term, and as we move forward, addressing any issues that could potentially impact consumer coverage.  This integrated team works on reconciliation issues 24/7, and maintains a telephone hotline for issuers who have questions.

Our analysis indicates that between October 1st and December 5th, the number of consumers for whom 834s were not produced was fewer than 15,000.  But as the graph shows, since the beginning of December, missing 834s as a percentage of total enrollments has been close to zero.  These significant improvements are due to the technical fixes put in place by the end of November.

Graph showing that missing 834s is declining. Missing 834s as a percentage of total enrollment was at 9.77% for the period October 1st to October 12th, 15.02% for the period October 13th to October 26th, 7.74% for the period October 27 to November 9th, 3.77% for the period 11/10 to 11/23, and stands at 0.38% for the period November 24 to December 5th.

For most Marketplace consumers, 834 creation or accuracy has not been an issue.  The majority of issues occurred between October 1st and the first few weeks of November when some of these transactions were either not being generated, or had errors due to larger technical system issues.  More than 70 of our software fixes over the past several weeks have focused on correcting software bugs related to 834 issues.  We’re assisting health plans in dealing with inaccurate 834s as efficiently as possible.

To make sure that no consumer falls through the cracks because of earlier pervasive troubles with the site, we are contacting every consumer who has selected a plan through the Federal Marketplace to remind them to pay their premium and connect with their insurer.

We continue to work with health plans Exit Disclaimer Icon undertaking a very focused process to verify 834 information. We are double and triple checking all enrollment data across systems.  This week, we securely sent data files to 300 issuers participating in the Federal Marketplace—and we’re reconciling 834s with the issuers. Every issuer’s health plan in the Federal Marketplace now has CMS files for the consumers who enrolled, or tried to enroll in their respective plans through early December.  After December 23rd, issuers will receive new files.

This thorough process will continue as we move forward, so that as open enrollment continues we are able to process back end financial information as needed between CMS and issuers, so that consumers who have selected affordable health plans from the Marketplace and paid their premium to that plan, are able to access the coverage they want and need.

Comments

Submitted by Abel on
This is exactly what happened to me. I hope i do not face any penalties due to the faulty system
Submitted by June on
I had the same experience...going to remove app and start over, but that means I have missed the Jan1 sign up deadline....
Submitted by P Smith on
I've been running into the same issue. Have you been able to get it resolved?
Submitted by M on
Do you have other people on your application or is it just you? I think it's an issue with how the application interprets tax groups. I pay taxes separately from my parents but we live in the same household with my sister. Try having different people in your household be the main "applier" and see if that helps. I was able to get through but it keeps giving me different premiums even when I use the exact same information so I'm trying to sort out the *actual* values of the plans.
Submitted by W on
I have been trying to apply for coverage in the state of Georgia. I have received the same error when I try to look at marketplace options.
I read a comment that people are seeing this error during times the site is very busy. Try during a slower time, like very early in the morning, midafternoon, or later at night. I no longer see the notice that they are doing upgrades from 1a to 5a ET every night.
Submitted by Paul on
This does not work. I have tried literally dozens of times since early Dec. including the middle of the night. I am only signing up for myself. The one time I was able to get through by phone, I was told the problem should be resolved soon (it hasn't been) or to try the insurance comany directly (they couldn't sign me up). The problem with this shows why we need single-payer healthcare for all. The connection between the government and the all these private companies is faulty because the government is beholden to all these private insurers which serve no useful purpose other than to enrich themselves.
Submitted by M on
I actually got through by doing an individual application for just me, just me + my parents, or my parents + my sister, but not if I include my sister with me. I pay my taxes separately from my parents so maybe it has to do with that? I will say the prices are wildly different from the prediction tool on the main site.
Submitted by M on
Thanks for trying to help Glynis. I've tried it at different times but it's always the same issue. I wish they had some real tech support for the site. I keep trying and hoping that it actually works one day...
Submitted by mark on
still getting Error ID:500.300588 when trying to confirm plan
Submitted by mlc on
of the 15 people I have talked to they have, no cue of whats going on Same with the insurance people & ihave paid my 1st payment but they say ?????
Submitted by Ramon on
Great job.
Submitted by Bente on
When will the issue with not being able to create two groups be solved? If you are just 2 persons getting insurance it is better to get 2 separate policies (if one of you gets sick your deductible is only $6000 iso $12000). But the system gives an error when you try to create 2 groups. I have reported this two weeks ago but still nothing has been solved. Help center say they have escalated it but I don't see the results.
I believe even with one group and two members you would have only a $6000 deductible per person or "per individual," with total family deductible of $12000, so that once one person's expenses have reached $6000 coverage begins for that person. Where there is more than one covered family member, once all family members combined have reached the family deductible of $12000, then coverage begins for everyone in the family regardless of whether each and every individual has reached the $6000 individual deductible. Such a plan treats a family of two essentially the same as two individual policies. The benefit to this plan is where the family size is larger than two, but the total family deductible remains at twice the level of the individual deductible. I'm not an expert, but this is how most non-employer individual family plans have worked in the past. I would call the insurance company whose plan you are interested to confirm. You may simply be misunderstanding the terms "individual deductible" and "family deductible."
Submitted by ched on
Glynis, after two months of the "yellow screen of death" at the end/signature page, I'm very tempted to go with the minimalist approach you have outlined, but am hesitant because i don't want to mess up the chance to get subsidies/credits which I'll definitely need. Any further info on risks you could provide would be greatly appreciated. FYI, I think that my problem is either related to the fact that my wife is a naturalized citizen, or that, because in PA nearly every kid is eligible for CHIP, my kids get assigned "CHIP Eligible" under "my plans" even though the application has never actually been completed. Thanks in advance.
Submitted by sarah on
Curious.. what is the minimalist approach?
This recommendation from someone who had the same message: "I put in a fresh app with as little information as possible for the system to check. No SS#s for anyone, no green card info .. Without any bait out there to create a conflict, the system let me through. .. If you have primary ID verification in your profile (green) the secret is .. Go minimalist, but make income as honest as possible. You can input the ID info at the very end AFTER choosing a plan. You will get past that Yellow Screen of DEATH if you just wait untl the very very end with anything that could cause a conflict for the ID program."
From what I've read I'd say it's definitely because your wife is a naturalized citizen. Go with the minimalist approach. Those who did that didn't say anything about problems with getting the subsidy credit.
Submitted by ched on
Submitted by Thomas on
They still cant help with Error ID:500.300588, they just put you on hold for an hour then drop the call.
Submitted by Jesse on
3 days and still getting Error ID:500.300588
Submitted by Charlene on
This is good to know because I personally called an insurer and was told that the info on the website is wrong and they have not been getting the info from the site 2-3 weeks later, then it takes them 2 days to process and another 5-10 to get back to consumer which means there is no way to be covered by January 1st for those seeking to do so. I will be glad when all these technical issues are behind us so the focus will be strictly on the need for people to have health coverage.
Submitted by kathleen on
Not doing a good job.... I spent over 31 days and over 40 hours trying to apply and still cannot see a plan. ROTTEN WEBSITE. WORST EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE
Submitted by sarah on
I can relate.... almost 2 months and a half months for me... several hours on every single day I have had off! "Yellow screen of death" for two months and now I had to sign up for the policies over and over because they keep getting mysteriously cancelled. It makes me feel completely insane. I told them today, "I have done everything I possibly can... the ball is in your court to fix it!"
Why not get in person help from a navigator or broker? Find one at localhelp.healthcare.gov. You can also look at plans from the 'see plans before I apply' button on the home page. It now shows the subsidy credit information. You could select a plan and check to see if the insurer will do direct enrollment. More insurers in more states are now doing that and are able to give the subsidy credit through direct enrollment.