Missing 834s as Percentage of Enrollment Now Near Zero

Saturday, December 14, 2013

As the technical improvements to HealthCare.gov continue making a difference to consumers using the website, our attention remains on addressing issues with the more “back end” parts of the system, including the creation and accuracy of 834 transaction forms.  These transaction forms are processed by health plans when consumers choose a product in the Marketplace, and our priority is working to make sure that every 834 form – past and present – is accurate, and that consumers are able to successfully enroll in the coverage of their choice.

Our dedicated 834 team – led by our General Contractor QSSI and working in partnership with issuers nationwide – is laser focused on ensuring we’ve made improvements to the system for the long term, and as we move forward, addressing any issues that could potentially impact consumer coverage.  This integrated team works on reconciliation issues 24/7, and maintains a telephone hotline for issuers who have questions.

Our analysis indicates that between October 1st and December 5th, the number of consumers for whom 834s were not produced was fewer than 15,000.  But as the graph shows, since the beginning of December, missing 834s as a percentage of total enrollments has been close to zero.  These significant improvements are due to the technical fixes put in place by the end of November.

Graph showing that missing 834s is declining. Missing 834s as a percentage of total enrollment was at 9.77% for the period October 1st to October 12th, 15.02% for the period October 13th to October 26th, 7.74% for the period October 27 to November 9th, 3.77% for the period 11/10 to 11/23, and stands at 0.38% for the period November 24 to December 5th.

For most Marketplace consumers, 834 creation or accuracy has not been an issue.  The majority of issues occurred between October 1st and the first few weeks of November when some of these transactions were either not being generated, or had errors due to larger technical system issues.  More than 70 of our software fixes over the past several weeks have focused on correcting software bugs related to 834 issues.  We’re assisting health plans in dealing with inaccurate 834s as efficiently as possible.

To make sure that no consumer falls through the cracks because of earlier pervasive troubles with the site, we are contacting every consumer who has selected a plan through the Federal Marketplace to remind them to pay their premium and connect with their insurer.

We continue to work with health plans Exit Disclaimer Icon undertaking a very focused process to verify 834 information. We are double and triple checking all enrollment data across systems.  This week, we securely sent data files to 300 issuers participating in the Federal Marketplace—and we’re reconciling 834s with the issuers. Every issuer’s health plan in the Federal Marketplace now has CMS files for the consumers who enrolled, or tried to enroll in their respective plans through early December.  After December 23rd, issuers will receive new files.

This thorough process will continue as we move forward, so that as open enrollment continues we are able to process back end financial information as needed between CMS and issuers, so that consumers who have selected affordable health plans from the Marketplace and paid their premium to that plan, are able to access the coverage they want and need.

Comments

Submitted by Mippie on
Have you gotten ANY response at all??? I'm curious...
Submitted by Sandy on
The reps I spoke with got the same error message when they tried to complete my enrollment. I have no idea what else I can do to get this resolved. Monday is fast approaching, which will leave many of us unable to start our coverage on 1/1/14.
Submitted by Nicole on
yes. I have the same problem as do many people that have been trying for this past week. My sister was able to enroll but she started two months ago. Now there is something that isn't working right. Message is "Sorry, an error has occurred. Please try again. If that doesn't work, log out. Error ID:500.000888" And no one knows what it means.
Submitted by John on
I continue to receive the following: "Sorry, an error has occurred. Please try again. If that doesn't work, log out. Error ID:500.000888". Today is 12/30/13. How can you enroll by a deadline when the system won't let you?
Submitted by Amy on
Same error message for me. Sorry, an error has occurred. Please try again. If that doesn't work, log out. Error ID:500.000888 I have been getting this error for 9 WEEKS!!! I can log in but can not see any of my policy information or account information. I signed up for a policy over the telephone in desperation but still can't access my account online. Very frustrating as I keep getting emails from Healthcare.gov saying I have new information on my account WHICH I CAN NOT ACCESS!!!!!!!
Submitted by Kim on
I have the same error trying to update my profile address
When you call the 800 number do they get the same error message when they try to complete it for you?
Submitted by Alison on
I tried this and the person on the phone got the same error. She told me to call back on 12/23 and it should be fixed. I couldn't even be put on hold on 12/23 because of high call volumes. I even started a new application in a new account but I'm stuck on submitting my application because of another error.
I enrolled on Dec1 and didn't receive a tax credit.The ACA representative tried to delete my application but was unable to so I was assigned another ID and enrolled again, this time with the correct tax credit. But the original application was never deleted and I received a bill from the insurance company for the higher premium without a tax credit. The representatives keep telling me the tech guys are working on this but after 3 weeks the original application hasn't been deleted. When I called the insurance company they see that I have 2 applications but they are powerless to give me the tax credit. The reps. keep telling me to try every day until it's fixed but I'm running out of time to get coverage by Jan. 1. No one has an answer for this.
So the insurer can see the second application with the correct tax credit? Then why can't the insurer cancel the first one and issue a bill for the second one that has the tax credit?
Submitted by Diane on
According to the charts I would qualify for assistance on the premium. But after doing the application it still shows the original; price. Can anyone tell me; Do you have to completely enroll before you know the adjusted price? According to the rule if my employers insurance is more than 9.5 % my income I am eligible to sign up. But when I put my employer offers insurance. It shows not eligible. Do you have to send someone proof before you can enroll?
There is a form to fill out. Go to the website home page and type "employer coverage tool" into the search box at the top of the page. Then click on the first search result with the same name for the pdf file of the form you and your employer need to fill out.
Submitted by sarah on
I dealt with the application problem in october and novemeber. I was made to fill out my form multiple times, and every time that I reviewed it there were errors. When editing the errors you are made to go through whole application again. When I did get to the end it always said that it was unable to process it at that time....for two months. All in all I reworked my application over the phone and online a lot maybe a dozen times and called in several times before I read online that I had to recreate a new application under a whole new account. I did this and in Early december I was able to finally apply. It was smoother this time. Then once my application was accepted the second week of december, it was on to enrollment! I am still trying to verify that my enrollment is complete and its december 19th. I am feeling crazy doing it over and over but my progress is never reflected on the website. am I enrolled? Am I not? It's anybody's guess right now because my insurance company is so flooded that they haven't even generated invoices from last saturday yet..... So now Healthcare dot gov says that my enrollment is incomplete. 2 and a half months of trying to do what should really only take an hour (if that).
Select a plan by clicking on the 'see plans before I apply button' from the home page. Then call in and see if they can complete it for you over the phone. But call in during a time that is not so busy, like early in the morning, midafternoon, or later at night.
People who live in TX, OH, and FL can do direct enrollment with insurers and get their subsidy credit. I've also read that more insurers in more states are doing this as well. You can click the 'see plans before I apply' button on the home page to decide on a plan. That feature now includes the subsidy credit information and other details of the plans. You can then contact the insurer directly to see if they do direct enrollment.
Submitted by Steve on
This is not true in Florida. To sign up for BCBS Florida one must first have a market place application approved to receive a tax credit. I checked the BCBS web site. This means if you are having trouble with the verification part where at the end of the application it asks you to sign and it says that the verification is not working (as it has been for me for the past 11 days, at all hours) you will not be able to get insurance. The phone people are not helpful, they can't solve real problems even when they sound confident. I have been told multiple times that I should receive notification in 3 -5 days. That was 2 months ago and no notification. If the web application says it is incomplete your whole application is incomplete even if you make a separate phone application. The numbers of the applications are the same. In all my years living around the world, I have never encountered such systematic incompetence even in third world countries one can at least fill out an application at an office and have it checked, submitted and approved in a matter of hours or days.
Submitted by Marty on
No one can give me an answer in regards to when error code: 500.300588 will be resolved. I am able to complete my entire application, and I get this error code when I try to submit my application. This has been going on for four straight days. I have talked to several people who are experiencing the same problem. When I speak to customer service, they can't give me any answers on when we will be able to successfully submit applications.
Submitted by Jervis on
Same problem here- app submitted Dec 24th and results show eligibility and govt help in paying. But the confirm button results everytime in that error code. Help chat and customer service telephone no help at all. How come news organizations are not reporting on this. Every month that goes by I am out money for paying for COBRA when I could be getting this at half the cost.....and COBRA runs out next month.
Submitted by David on
I've made at least 70 attempts through the website now. Called and talked to Reps at least 12 times in additional to quite a few completely pointless Live Chats. Created at least 10 new applications. I've gotten through to eligibility results once. And that time it said that two of my young kids weren't eligible and my wife and other child might be pending further verifcation. The vast majority of the time (since November at least), I get to the signing page and get the "verification system is temporarily unavailable". Then when I try to go back through the application, I get stuck on the filing taxes piece because when I try to specify my dependents, the only option is "Someone Else", my kids are no longer there and it won't let me get any further. So, I have to remove my application and start over, a 20 minute process. These updates never address this problem which from talking to Reps and doing a Google search appears to be very common. The ACA will save me over $800 a month if I can ever get signed up...
Submitted by John on
I've been running into the same. Regarding the Someone Else, just select No and continue. When you get to the Summary screen, you'll see they actually kept the dependents on your application -- despite you changing your dependents answer to No. Now, if I could just get past that verification down message. I've tried at least two dozen times and even started over with a phone rep -- only for her to run into the exact same problem at the very end. This is ridiculous!
Submitted by David on
I am able to get through this consistently by not including the apostrophe in my last name. Both times I've done that (as opposed to the many time where I didn't), I was able to get through to eligibility. But now for some unknown reason, my young kids aren't eligible.
this is from someone who was getting the same message: "I put in a fresh app with as little information as possible for the system to check. No SS#s for anyone, no green card info .. Without any bait out there to create a conflict, the system let me through. .. If you have primary ID verification in your profile (green) the secret is .. Go minimalist, but make income as honest as possible. You can input the ID info at the very end AFTER choosing a plan. You will get past that Yellow Screen of DEATH if you just wait untl the very very end with anything that could cause a conflict for the ID program."
Submitted by M on
Application works but I keep getting Error ID:500.300520 when I try to enroll. It won't let me look at any plans. Called the phone number 5 times, but no luck because the representatives just log in through the same website. Restarted the application 3-4 times; no luck. Don't see how it's possible to enroll by Dec 23....
Submitted by Sarah on
I have this same problem over and over again. What do I do??
Submitted by Ash on
I have also been getting this error for months and months. When I call the number all that happens is that I am on the phone for 3 hours and get no where. They say the same thing, try another day.