Missing 834s as Percentage of Enrollment Now Near Zero

Saturday, December 14, 2013

As the technical improvements to HealthCare.gov continue making a difference to consumers using the website, our attention remains on addressing issues with the more “back end” parts of the system, including the creation and accuracy of 834 transaction forms.  These transaction forms are processed by health plans when consumers choose a product in the Marketplace, and our priority is working to make sure that every 834 form – past and present – is accurate, and that consumers are able to successfully enroll in the coverage of their choice.

Our dedicated 834 team – led by our General Contractor QSSI and working in partnership with issuers nationwide – is laser focused on ensuring we’ve made improvements to the system for the long term, and as we move forward, addressing any issues that could potentially impact consumer coverage.  This integrated team works on reconciliation issues 24/7, and maintains a telephone hotline for issuers who have questions.

Our analysis indicates that between October 1st and December 5th, the number of consumers for whom 834s were not produced was fewer than 15,000.  But as the graph shows, since the beginning of December, missing 834s as a percentage of total enrollments has been close to zero.  These significant improvements are due to the technical fixes put in place by the end of November.

Graph showing that missing 834s is declining. Missing 834s as a percentage of total enrollment was at 9.77% for the period October 1st to October 12th, 15.02% for the period October 13th to October 26th, 7.74% for the period October 27 to November 9th, 3.77% for the period 11/10 to 11/23, and stands at 0.38% for the period November 24 to December 5th.

For most Marketplace consumers, 834 creation or accuracy has not been an issue.  The majority of issues occurred between October 1st and the first few weeks of November when some of these transactions were either not being generated, or had errors due to larger technical system issues.  More than 70 of our software fixes over the past several weeks have focused on correcting software bugs related to 834 issues.  We’re assisting health plans in dealing with inaccurate 834s as efficiently as possible.

To make sure that no consumer falls through the cracks because of earlier pervasive troubles with the site, we are contacting every consumer who has selected a plan through the Federal Marketplace to remind them to pay their premium and connect with their insurer.

We continue to work with health plans Exit Disclaimer Icon undertaking a very focused process to verify 834 information. We are double and triple checking all enrollment data across systems.  This week, we securely sent data files to 300 issuers participating in the Federal Marketplace—and we’re reconciling 834s with the issuers. Every issuer’s health plan in the Federal Marketplace now has CMS files for the consumers who enrolled, or tried to enroll in their respective plans through early December.  After December 23rd, issuers will receive new files.

This thorough process will continue as we move forward, so that as open enrollment continues we are able to process back end financial information as needed between CMS and issuers, so that consumers who have selected affordable health plans from the Marketplace and paid their premium to that plan, are able to access the coverage they want and need.

Comments

Submitted by M on
I've learned that when I get this error, it's best just to dump the application and start over at another time. For me, the application never goes through when I get that error.
Submitted by Le on
Hello I submitted my application to Dept of Health and Human Service in Kentucky with all required papers three weeks ago. Someone will tell me how long I got an answer from them. Thank
Have you tried to contact them directly? You can call them Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., and Saturday 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Eastern Time.
Le did not mean that Kynect (Kentucky's Healthcare Connection). The physical address for the Federal marketplace is located in London, Kentucky and if you are completing a paper application or submitting documentation of any kind, you would need to mail it there. It can get confusing given the state of location.
Submitted by Frustrated Citizen on
"You have started an application for health coverage, but our verification system is temporarily unavailable." Why has it been unavailable for so long? I've gotten this message over and over again starting back in November!
Submitted by Shanna on
Error ID:500.100 when setting tax credit. This seems to be a purposely integrated error. FIX IT!!!
Submitted by Angela on
I keep getting this error, did you ever figure out what was wrong? Was your Tax Credit $0?
Submitted by Arlo on
We are all doomed.......system does not work...system integrity is nill......system does not allow enrollment.
Submitted by Mario on
You're almost finished with your application You have started an application for health coverage, but our verification system is temporarily unavailable. Without completing verification, you cannot submit your application for an eligibility determination. We will save your information and expect to resolve the problem within 24 hours. When you return, please review your entire application from beginning to end in order to receive your online eligibility results, shit shit many time
Submitted by Tammy on
As a supervisor we spoke with last night suggested, we got up at 5:30 am today and tried our app again. It worked. We were able to get past the 500.300588 error and submit our app. Ridiculous. Now we have to pay our premium and wait for the customer service fallout of millions of people with new coverage. Very poor online system. Took us 3 weeks to get to this point; the point where our app is submitted and we're ready to pay a premium.
Submitted by David on
The web site is still not working. I get an error message of 500.300588 when I try and finish the final step of payment. I e read that they do not have the part of the website built that takes the payment. My suggestion is to use pay pal to handle the transferring of money. Have the insurance companies register with them for electronic payment. Then have the user register with them as they need it . This would handle the debaucle of. 50 plus million being wasted on a website that has truly registered anyone to have insurance . If this fixes the problem send me a million for suggesting it
Submitted by Cat 32548 on
I have been trying to enroll in Florida for 2.5 weeks. I'm still getting this error msg: **Sorry, an error has occurred. Please try again. If that doesn't work, log out. Error ID:500.300588 ** I've called repeatedly, waited a total of 2.35 hours for 3 calls to answer. They can't seem to help me 'due to the volume". It's now past the deadline and I'm still stuck on the last page of CONFIRMATION. The agents can't get me signed up either. IS THIS A BCBS ISSUE?
Submitted by Paul on
No, I'm in Florida too and can't get past that point either. I keep getting the same error message you're getting, but I signed up with a different insurance carrier.
Submitted by Remy Fleury on
Good afternoon. Please, how long it can take me to fill out my application? Thank you so much for the answers.
Submitted by Brian on
For those of you getting the Error ID:500.300588, I too was receiving that error when I completed my application 2 days ago. I tried to resolve it through the live chat and also through the 800 number with no luck. I got the same response that you all likely received, which was "try again in 24 to 48 hours" (translation: we don't know what is causing it). I checked the site again this morning, with the same results. I noticed that one of the commenters here had a situation similar to mine, which was that they had declined dental insurance. I was planning to purchase dental insurance, but BCBS of Alabama told me that I needed to buy the plan that I wanted outside of the Marketplace (from them directly). So, I had declined dental coverage on the Marketplace. Seeing that some people had waited two months on this error to clear, I decided to just go ahead and purchase the BCBS dental plan that was offered on the Marketplace, just to see if that would allow me to proceed. Even though Dental Coverage is "optional" in the enrollment process, it was still an item that was showing as "SET" in my enrollment profile because I had declined coverage. My thinking is that after I get it in place, I can upgrade to the other plan with BCBS directly (may not be correct, but it was worth a try). So, I went back in, selected the BCBS dental plan for enrollment and saved it, and that "cleared" the dental step on my enrollment page. I went back to "Review and Confirm", and on the FIRST try, I made it through without receiving that Error ID:500.300588. It didn't really make any difference to me, because I was planning on getting dental coverage anyway. But that is what I had to do to get past that Error message. Really stinks if this is causing others problems that don't want dental coverage. Hope this helps some of you!
Submitted by Mohammed Panwala on
its been 4-5 days i'm trying to get my health coverage but my application status is still in progress. I have called the customer service and they are told me that i have to verify my identity which i did long ago and i can see on my profile page that its been verified. i don't know what to do and how do i get the coverage for my wife who is pregnant and we need to see the doctor ASAP, i will appreciate any help i can get. thanks
Submitted by User on
If you started your application back when there were a bunch of problems you'll continue having them forever. You'll need to remove your application and start over and it'll go through without even asking you to submit proof of your identity. Unfortunately, if you qualify for a premium tax credit you'll apparently be stuck forever with "Sorry, an error has occurred. Please try again. If that doesn't work, log out. Error ID:500.100" when you try to set how much you want to use each month... I haven't been able to get past it.
Submitted by Sonny on
I Dont remember how many times i have tried repeatedly over and over my applications, call help then was told to remove and fill out new application, still at the end the same message. You're almost finished with your application You have started an application for health coverage, but our verification system is temporarily unavailable. Without completing verification, you cannot submit your application for an eligibility determination. We will save your information and expect to resolve the problem within 24 hours. When you return, please review your entire application from beginning to end in order to receive your online eligibility results,
Submitted by Narayan on
Iam trying to fill up application from last ten days. all the time iam getting the error "verification system is temporarily unavailable". I called helpdesk and spent 1 hour to fill the form again but failed at the end. Not sure if anyone working on this issue at all. Looks like it is being done intentionally to limit the applications for some reason. Iam totally lost :(
Submitted by Jaime on
I have the same problem in a different date 01/27/14 You're almost finished with your application You have started an application for health coverage, but our verification system is temporarily unavailable. Without completing verification, you cannot submit your application for an eligibility determination. We will save your information and expect to resolve the problem within 24 hours. When you return, please review your entire application from beginning to end in order to receive your online eligibility results,
Submitted by Son on
Been repeatedly reenter application for over 110 times since November 2013, calls over 30 times, unable to count how many times the agents trying to repeat what i did, sending all my family information to Gov in January, birth certification, SSN card, Driver licenses.... still unable to verify my ID.
Submitted by agent on
I had this problem with multiple customers. It had wasted so much of my time for trying again and again, and the problem never went away. It was a disaster...
Submitted by George on
When is going to be fixed or how can I get by it.
Submitted by shokhrukh on
Does anyone know if there is a solution to this problem? All CS reps I talk to are clueless and only suggest I keep submitting applications
Submitted by shokh on
Same here. Wasted countless hours resubmitting my application. Called the Help Center and they are clueless as to what's causing this.