Missing 834s as Percentage of Enrollment Now Near Zero

Saturday, December 14, 2013

As the technical improvements to HealthCare.gov continue making a difference to consumers using the website, our attention remains on addressing issues with the more “back end” parts of the system, including the creation and accuracy of 834 transaction forms.  These transaction forms are processed by health plans when consumers choose a product in the Marketplace, and our priority is working to make sure that every 834 form – past and present – is accurate, and that consumers are able to successfully enroll in the coverage of their choice.

Our dedicated 834 team – led by our General Contractor QSSI and working in partnership with issuers nationwide – is laser focused on ensuring we’ve made improvements to the system for the long term, and as we move forward, addressing any issues that could potentially impact consumer coverage.  This integrated team works on reconciliation issues 24/7, and maintains a telephone hotline for issuers who have questions.

Our analysis indicates that between October 1st and December 5th, the number of consumers for whom 834s were not produced was fewer than 15,000.  But as the graph shows, since the beginning of December, missing 834s as a percentage of total enrollments has been close to zero.  These significant improvements are due to the technical fixes put in place by the end of November.

Graph showing that missing 834s is declining. Missing 834s as a percentage of total enrollment was at 9.77% for the period October 1st to October 12th, 15.02% for the period October 13th to October 26th, 7.74% for the period October 27 to November 9th, 3.77% for the period 11/10 to 11/23, and stands at 0.38% for the period November 24 to December 5th.

For most Marketplace consumers, 834 creation or accuracy has not been an issue.  The majority of issues occurred between October 1st and the first few weeks of November when some of these transactions were either not being generated, or had errors due to larger technical system issues.  More than 70 of our software fixes over the past several weeks have focused on correcting software bugs related to 834 issues.  We’re assisting health plans in dealing with inaccurate 834s as efficiently as possible.

To make sure that no consumer falls through the cracks because of earlier pervasive troubles with the site, we are contacting every consumer who has selected a plan through the Federal Marketplace to remind them to pay their premium and connect with their insurer.

We continue to work with health plans Exit Disclaimer Icon undertaking a very focused process to verify 834 information. We are double and triple checking all enrollment data across systems.  This week, we securely sent data files to 300 issuers participating in the Federal Marketplace—and we’re reconciling 834s with the issuers. Every issuer’s health plan in the Federal Marketplace now has CMS files for the consumers who enrolled, or tried to enroll in their respective plans through early December.  After December 23rd, issuers will receive new files.

This thorough process will continue as we move forward, so that as open enrollment continues we are able to process back end financial information as needed between CMS and issuers, so that consumers who have selected affordable health plans from the Marketplace and paid their premium to that plan, are able to access the coverage they want and need.

Comments

Submitted by Josh on
I'm getting "Error ID:500.300518" and my plan options are gone...
Submitted by Tina on
I have been trying ever since this Obama Care started. I have tried weekly and here it is 3/30 and I still can't login to sign up for Health Care. I don't have time to sit on hold forever with a person on the phone. This shouldn't be this difficult. This is so FRUSTRATING. :(
Submitted by GMB138 on
I keep getting the "our verification system is temporarily unavailable" error, and each time I try again, I have to re-enter about half my application. Really frustrated. Not to mention the fact I already know I don't qualify for any assistance/discounts, and I won't be able to afford these supposedly 'affordable' plans.
Submitted by neal on
Twelve days ago filled out application, instructions said it would be sent on to my states (Ohio) medicaid for their review, also that if no or slow reply contact them, via e-mail today they told me my application has not been made available to them. We do not have the funds to buy coverage or pay a fine. Seems to me if a program was designed to tell me that application was to be sent, it should also could be designed to send it. 8 years w/ no health, lost all my bad habits, at much lower risk though prevention. Please do your best to hold up your end of the deal. 339357072 thanks
Submitted by ROY on
HOW IS THE GOVERNMENT GOING TO COLLECT PENALTIES. IS IT THROUGHT THERE INCOME TAX RETURN OR WILL THEY JUST SEND A STATMENT ASKING PEOPLE TO PAY THEIR FINE.
Submitted by Rover on
Got the 500.00088 msg and then logged back in 30 minutes later. Then I got the "Our Verification System is not available - try back in 24 hours" msg. This was Sunday at 1am EDT. Bug # 1- I noticed that if I listed my income as a bi-weekly amount, the website wrongly caculated the bi-weekly amount as a monthly amount. So, to overcome that, I listed my income with a monthly amount that was accurate, and the system then correctly listed my "monthly" amount. Bug #2 - When you get to the summary page that lists the "Name on SSN Card", the site does not list the Middle Name or Middle Initial, even if you entered it in the SSN box. So you go through the Edit process, to only see that you did enter the middle initial. If you enter a name change in the "First Name" box, that does show however.
Submitted by Pam on
Problems every step of the way, since last October. And I was a huge supporter originally (that is, since we couldn't get a seamlessly integrated single payer system ala Canada or UK. So...finally at the Confirm Plan Choice stage and get Error ID:500.300588 for 24 hours now. Called Cust Service: 1st time, rep's computer wasn't working either so she asked me to call back. 2nd time (5:50PMCST March 4) rep said he's heard the same error message from many callers, didn't know a fix, said he couldn't override and suggested I wait at least 48-72 hours for their IT team to resolve issue before trying again. Grrrrr this whole process is every bit as bad as everyone says!
Submitted by Kyra on
Solution for Error Message 500,300588: Use the "Report Change in Life" option in your application. You may also need to erase your browser history or just use a different browser (Optional). A lot of us who were experiencing endless 500.300588 error messages found success by using the "Change in Life" option. Good Luck!!!
Submitted by christopher on
I have been trying for over two months to enroll an I get to final step and am given an error that shows: We're having trouble getting plan information. Try again. If you keep getting this message, log out and log back in after 30 minutes. If that doesn't work, call the Marketplace Call Center at 1-800-318-2596 Error ID:500.300588" I need feedback on how to finalize my selections so that I can have healthcare! ChristopherWilson45226@gmail.com
Submitted by Roxane on
I had the same problem along with so many others. Someone found a way around it and it worked for me also after filling out countless applications. We used Firefox. First clear your browser history. Then, instead of filling out a new application go to the link where you change your information if something changes in your life. I don't remember what they call it, sorry. I changed one thing. I added my middle initial. Then, I had success at the end where I got the same error as you about a hundred times. This has worked for three of us that tried it. Good luck!
Submitted by Athena on
I haven't been able to actually choose a plan, I keep getting the same message for months now: Error ID:500.000999
Submitted by mohammad on
Submitted by Frustrated in Atlanta on Thu, 2014-01-23 09:58 Same issue here: "......our verification system is temporarily unavailable..." I have been trying to get past this issue since November 2013. I obtained a new login, started new applications, deleted the old ones, called customer service, they started new apps for me and got the same error. I sent in my documents to verify my identity twice already, and never received a response. Did I mention, I cleared my browser cookies, history etc. - still the same error message! I have already missed the January and February enrollment period. And the deadline for March is fast approaching. Does anyone know which of the verification systems is unavailable? Please, anybody help, how did you get past this issue?! Thank you
Submitted by Sarah on
Remove your current application. Clear your cookies, history (again). Then, between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. (est) begin a new application. Enter the names of each person on the application IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS consistently throughout the entire application. Assuming you are either a permanent resident or a naturalized citizen (there are few other reasons for you to need to be verified by SSA), please make sure that if you enter a card that you make sure the name and the number are exactly as they should be. If there is a shred of doubt, leave the number field(s) blank. If you are a permanent resident with an alien number, be advised that if you decide to leave it blank you will need to erase the A that auto populates in the field. Also be advised that if you take this option, you will need to submit a copy of your documentation in manually but doing so will not affect your ability to enroll into a plan. Good luck.
Submitted by Margot on
I've tried to confirm my application hundreds of times, all hours of the day and night, and always get Error ID:500.300588. I've removed my application and restarted 5 times. Same thing. I try calling and all they can tell me is that they're seeing the same error code on their end so it's definitely a problem with their system. They say they can put the application through for me but that I'll just end up with the same problem. I get cut off before they can try but it seems pointless anyway... Tomorrow is the cut-off for me to get coverage starting on March 1. It looks like I'm about to have no health insurance coverage for the first time in my life.
Submitted by DJ on
Reentered the whole app 7 -9 times. Upper case, wait 24 hours, try again later, try at non busy hours, I continue to get the same error and no resolution. Same story all week and continue to get the error 500.300588. No one can say what the error code means. Of the 8 customer service people I spoke with - Excellent training on We apologize for the inconvenience. 5 days of trying. Hope the story changes next week. Why isn't this more visible in the press?
Submitted by Same Damn Issue on
I get the same damn message no matter how many times I try. Sorry, an error has occurred. Please try again. If that doesn't work, log out. Error ID:500.300588
Submitted by Patrick on
countless hours wasted, attempted enrollment hundreds of times, almost to the end and yes I get the Error ID:500.300588. I guess I'll miss the deadline.
Submitted by kennedy on
i keep getting this stupid message!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Sorry, an error has occurred. Please try again. If that doesn't work, log out. Error ID:500.300518
Submitted by Bob on
Same here. Deadline is today. It took me days to get to this point in the application process. To start over would be unthinkable now.
Submitted by Frustrated in Atlanta on
Same issue here: "......our verification system is temporarily unavailable..." I have been trying to get past this issue since November 2013. I obtained a new login, started new applications, deleted the old ones, called customer service, they started new apps for me and got the same error. I sent in my documents to verify my identity twice already, and never received a response. Did I mention, I cleared my browser cookies, history etc. - still the same error message! I have already missed the January and February enrollment period. And the deadline for March is fast approaching. Does anyone know which of the verification systems is unavailable? In my case, I am guessing it may be my "certificate of naturalization"? Please, anybody help, how did you get past this issue?! Thank you!
Submitted by Jenny on
I had this issue as well, but was actually able to get through it with the help of a customer service guy who seemed to know what he was doing. In my case, the trick was to start a new application (of course), and then NOT fill in the green card number (it's an optional field, so you can move on without it and then send it in via physical mail). Once I no longer entered any immigration documentation numbers, the application didn't get stuck on that error anymore. I'm now having other issues, but not that one...
Submitted by Anna on
I had the same issue. I called customer service and they told me to start a new application and put everything in all upper case letters. It worked like a charm.
Submitted by Richard on
Verification system is never available so far. I tried so many time. Even I talked to Supervisor on the phone, but her solution is try later. Well. Later when? I am doing everyday. Never work. They know what is the problem then it supposed not take to fix this long time. I am sure they just don't want to fix with some reason. I am not sure how they can take care of the issue which still this problem cannot fix by deadline. Then still I have to pay fine?
Keep getting this error of "You have started an application for health coverage, but our verification system is temporarily unavailable...."
Submitted by M on
I've learned that when I get this error, it's best just to dump the application and start over at another time. For me, the application never goes through when I get that error.