Amazing Interest in Signing Up For January 1

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

It was a record day yesterday for healthcare.gov and the Marketplace. Healthcare.gov alone received a remarkable 2 million site visits and our call center received more than 250,000 calls as consumers were rushing to complete their applications. We see this intense traffic as a sign that people are eager for affordable health insurance. More than 129,000 individuals provided emails yesterday at HC.gov as part of the advanced queuing system. All of them received emails inviting them back the same day to complete their applications.

CMS is spending today completing enrollments for individuals seeking affordable coverage beginning January 1. Volumes remain high, but not equal to yesterday and we have not had to deploy our queuing system on the site. We are taking thousands of calls at our call centers, which remain open until midnight, and we are seeing thousands of visitors complete enrollment online.

What if you missed the deadline?

Our highest priority is making sure that everyone who wants to enroll to have health care coverage by January 1 is able to do so, particularly since consumers had a hard time accessing HealthCare.gov in October and November. As such, we are making sure we can provide information directly to consumers if and when they have questions about their particular situation, and if they are covered as of January 1.

Consumers who tried to enroll prior to today and had problems with the system should contact the Marketplace call center for individual assistance (The call center will be closed on Christmas and will reopen on the 26th). We have developed a robust casework process to address individual inquiries, respond to specific situations, and help consumers transition to new coverage. Consumers will hear directly from their health plan about the date their coverage is effective.

In addition, CMS and health plans are continuing to reach out to consumers who’ve selected a plan to remind them of the final steps they must take to enroll in coverage, such as paying their bill, who to contact if they have questions, and how they can access care.

Consumers who begin the process of selecting a health plan after today will be covered as of February 1.

Comments

They have said that if you started your application before the deadline but couldn't get it completed because of problems with the website that you should call the 800 number and tell them that and they will work with you to still get your enrolled by Jan 1. Those errors are caused when too many people are trying to enroll at the same time for the system to handle. It's designed for 60,000 concurrent users.
Submitted by James on
I wish to enroll today. Please help
Submitted by Gabe on
It still doesn't work guys. We've spend well over 25 hours trying to apply over the last few months...we still get the same errors. The site still crashes, we've never made it past the income section before it crashes (crash = "Sorry, there's a problem with our system"). We had to start a new app because the first one had extra weird blank dependents errors. "we have not had to deploy our queuing system on the site" Maybe you should because it still crashes. One of the most frustrating parts is that when it crashes, we have to start over again from the beginning!
Submitted by John on
I received notice in early July that my existing health insurance plan is being cancelled effective 12/31/13. I've been trying to enroll at the Obamacare exchange since mid October. Here it is, December 29th and I still can't enroll. The latest problem is error code: 500.300586 at the last confirmation button. I've spent nearly 60 hours on the website and placed over 50 calls into the call center. Although the people at the call center are great, they can't enroll me either because they're either locked out of the system or get the same error code. The insurance companies can't process my application until they receive it from the exchange. I called my Congressman's & Senators' offices, they're all on Holiday. What's going on? The only thing I know for sure is that I will be uninsured in two days.
Try what Val above suggested, delete that application and create a new one. In fact, I would call the 800 number and ask them to do that and explain you've been trying to enroll and have spoken with call center previously. Perhaps they can still get you enrolled for Jan 1 coverage if you do that.
Submitted by Denisee on
I hope that I will be able to enroll with an insurance company when I get my eligibility report in the mail because I cannot pull it up online through the Marketplace. I have already been through all that you are saying. I finally had to apply through a representative on the 1-800 line. I had to wait a few hours to speak to a rep. but I did get the application and eligibility completed. I started the application process in October.