Amazing Interest in Signing Up For January 1

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

It was a record day yesterday for healthcare.gov and the Marketplace. Healthcare.gov alone received a remarkable 2 million site visits and our call center received more than 250,000 calls as consumers were rushing to complete their applications. We see this intense traffic as a sign that people are eager for affordable health insurance. More than 129,000 individuals provided emails yesterday at HC.gov as part of the advanced queuing system. All of them received emails inviting them back the same day to complete their applications.

CMS is spending today completing enrollments for individuals seeking affordable coverage beginning January 1. Volumes remain high, but not equal to yesterday and we have not had to deploy our queuing system on the site. We are taking thousands of calls at our call centers, which remain open until midnight, and we are seeing thousands of visitors complete enrollment online.

What if you missed the deadline?

Our highest priority is making sure that everyone who wants to enroll to have health care coverage by January 1 is able to do so, particularly since consumers had a hard time accessing HealthCare.gov in October and November. As such, we are making sure we can provide information directly to consumers if and when they have questions about their particular situation, and if they are covered as of January 1.

Consumers who tried to enroll prior to today and had problems with the system should contact the Marketplace call center for individual assistance (The call center will be closed on Christmas and will reopen on the 26th). We have developed a robust casework process to address individual inquiries, respond to specific situations, and help consumers transition to new coverage. Consumers will hear directly from their health plan about the date their coverage is effective.

In addition, CMS and health plans are continuing to reach out to consumers who’ve selected a plan to remind them of the final steps they must take to enroll in coverage, such as paying their bill, who to contact if they have questions, and how they can access care.

Consumers who begin the process of selecting a health plan after today will be covered as of February 1.

Comments

Submitted by JEAN on
I AM NOT HAPPY with my application since past .DECEMBER WE KEEPING SAME ISSUE ABOUT TO get me a cover I DONT know why HAPPEN THAT not nice I NEED THIS APPLICATION TO BE DONE AT THE SAME.THANK YOU
Submitted by Lisa on
I am so upset with this healthcare crap. its been a full time job for me. I started with my application back in October 2013. First its was a verification problem. which took forever. then it was an error on the tax credit, that was fixed I guess. last week (3/10/14) I was able to chose a health ins company. I was SO TICKLED as I thought I was almost finished. the enrollment went well at the time(atleast I thought it did) however I didn't hear from the ins company. that worried me. so I logged in to check my messages. nothing was there. then I thought I should go check on my application. when I did, it said enrollment wasn't finished. UGH! it seems all I needed to do was chose or not chose dental ins and then there was a statement I needed to sign (which I did the statement before). ok no big deal I can handle that. WRONG ANSWER.. now I'm getting an error message 500.300586. I called the call center and she did the same thing I did all over again and she got the error. she said just call back in an hour and see if it will work. OMG give me a break. I just want to cry. and its funny every time I decide to take the phone survey the representative doesn't hang up. I said good bye to them. good bye means get off the phone i'm done. but they quietly sit on the phone and wait for you to hang up. some say hello.. hello just to see if you answer 10 minutes after sitting on the phone. I told one of the representatives about this and he got a kick out of it. he laughed.
Submitted by Ke on
I've been trying to sign up for a week. After all was done, when it was time to confirm my selection, it gives me an error message of 500.300586. I called the customer service and they can't figure out what the error is. Verified all information was correct and complete. It says it's a technical glitch and can't assure me if they'll be able to fix it. The only option is to try back later or call another day. I've tried. So, at the end no one could help me and I can't sign up for insurance at healthcare.gov !
Submitted by linda on
I simply cannot get my identity verified. I have had background checks for military jobs that taken less time. I registered quite a while ago and sent in my documentation at least a month ago, but still nothing. I am loosing faith and hope.
Submitted by APBTlady on
Have you contacted the marketplace since you submitted your documents? If it has been a reasonable amount of time since you sent your information in you should be able to continue the enrollment process regardless. Don't wait on the over exhausted system to contact you!
Submitted by Anne on
I signed up on 12/10/13 for coverage with Aetna. As I had not receive any communication from Aetna I called Aetna on 12/31/13 and was told my coverage would be active as of 01/01/14. I made the premium payment at that time with a credit card and set up autopay as well. The payment cleared my bank on 01/01/14. Today I am being told that my coverage is "pended" until Aetna receives the payment from my bank. The immediate impact of this problem is that I need to have a medication refilled by 1/5/14. After being on the
Call the corporate office request a interim healthcare. reciept
Submitted by Fressia on
I keep getting the same "verification system unavailable" messages as most people who are having a hard time enrolling. I've tried different times to resend the application. I've spoken to reps on the phone and on live chat who have tried to resubmit the information and have gotten the same error message. I then gave my contact information to the marketplace call center who said someone would contact me in 2-3 business days to review the problems I was having submitting the app. The person never called. I have kept trying to send the application but to no avail. I can't understand what would be the point of calling and waiting on hold to just get the same response the computer is giving me. Is there some other way to submit this application?
Submitted by Mike M on
Keep getting "verification system unavailable" errors. Reps say "keep trying"???
Submitted by diana on
I signed up for coverage and was approved for a subsidy on/and before 12.23.13. I tried calling, live chats, and sat on the phone for hours trying to reach someone in the Marketplace. I was unable to enter the site to keep working on my application yet the site checked which health plan and my eligibility for my coverage. I wonder if there is a way to let the site and my plans to know I was having difficulty, did as requested by the deadlines and now have to wait until 2.1.14 until my coverage begins. I contacted the Marketplace site finally a few days ago, 12.27.13 and was told a case worker would look into my dates to determine if I still was a 1.1.14 receiver of benefits. My other health insurance plan sent me a bill for thirty dollars more and now I am unable to reach them also to let them know my plan is over this month. There is much talk and saying we will support yet there is no committed effort or documentation formally to specify when the contacts will make my plan effective 1.1.14 due to the system and phone backups. Now what? Pay two health plans, write letters??? Any ideas? Thanks!
Submitted by JACQUELINE A TELOMA on
2 MONTHS AGO I LOSTE MY JOBS, I'M 53 , I HAVE NO MAJOR HEALTH ISSUES BUT I STILL FEEL THAT I NEED A COVERAGE .REGARDELESS MY JOB WAS CHARGING TOO MUCH THEREFORE I COULD NOT AFFORD IT FIRST. HOWEVER SINCE THEN I HAVE BEEN SHOPPING FOR A HEALTH COVERAGE BUT IUNTILL NOW I CAN NOT FIND AN AFFORDABLE ONE .INCLUDING THE OBAMA'S CARE IS NOT CONVENIENT TO ME . WOULD YOU SEND ME A NICE QUOTE ,SOMETHING THAT I CAN AFFORD .
Submitted by John on
You should create an account at Healthcare.gov . You can complete an application and it will make a determination for you. Please note that you may only apply for financial assistance (tax credits) if your employer coverage is considered unaffordable or does not meet quality standards. If your offered insurance premium is less than 9.5%, then it is considered affordable. Example: You make $2000 a month. 9.5% is $190. Your employer offers health insurance for a monthly premium of $150. It is considered affordable. You make $2000 a month. 9.5% is $190. Your employer offers health insurance for a monthly premium of $200. It is considered not affordable.
Submitted by Shawn on
I find that any time you have to edit the appliation, you might as well just remove it and start over. Nothing but problems after that. Then if you get an error message at any time, you might as well remove that application and start over. Any time there is a problem, you have better results by just removing the application and starting a new one.
website never works for me. sigh
Submitted by EMORY on
i REGISTERED AND GOT A SIGNIN AND PASSWORD, i CANNOT SIGN BACK AND REQUESTED NEW PASSWORD, MY EMAIL THEY SENT ME REQUIRES A SIGNIN PASSWORD TO CHANGE MY PASSWORD WHICH IT DECLINES SO I AM STILL OUT
Submitted by Sarah on
If you clicked "forgot your password?" then the email they send out should require you to just reset your previous one, which does not include typing on the old one. If you have to enter your previous password then that means you clicked "forgot your username?" instead.
Call the 800 number, they can reset it for you over the phone.
You should list what hospitals will accept which health insurance plans purchased through the marketplace.
It's up to the insurers to put that in the information they provide on their plans.
Submitted by Terry on
Ms. Bataille: With regards to your "robust casework process": I spoke with "Kurt" yesterday at 1 p.m. at the call center number, who said he completed my application for insurance. The system had refused to complete the enrollment when I did it online. He said he needed my Social Security number and wrote it on a dry erase board. I asked him why he needed to write my SS # on a dry erase board when he could input it directly into the system as I gave it to him. He said that was just his method. When I checked today to make sure the app was done, it showed that I had NOT enrolled. I called the center back, and a very helpful Becky walked me through the enrollment only so that I could see she was actually submitting my enrollment. She did not ask for my SS, and said I should have been given a policy number if I had been actually enrolled. Again, when it came time to actually submit the enrollment choice, the system froze for her and me and then bounced me off and wouldn't let me log on again. So, first, you folks have let down the American people with this farce of a website and, second, if I smell even a whiff of identity theft, I will sue the government. I am a longtime, award-winning journalist and my work has launched federal investigations and changed state laws. Happy New Year!
Submitted by sally on
If you were on the phone how did you know he wrote your SS# on a "dry erase board"???? The whole story you gave sounds unreal?????
Submitted by amy on
Your SSN is required to retrieve your application. no one wants to steal your identity maam
Submitted by Maria on
I have an application that gives me an error Error ID:500.300586 at the last step when I want to confirm the plans chosen, the premiums, and finalize the enrollment. I have called numerous times, had a representative and a supervisor create new applications, and I still can't enroll. I have missed the Jan. 1st deadline and the insurance co. I selected can't do anything until they they get the enrollment info from the marketplace but the error prevents the marketplace system from sending finalizing and sending the insurer the info. Any resolution for the Error ID: 500's?
Submitted by Pedro Jimenez Guerrero on
I have tried all day and cant get it finalized.
Submitted by Val on
Hi Maria, Same thing happened to me numerous of times. After speaking with several supervisors and still not having problem fixed, I personally deleted my application, created a new one and I was finally successful at completing my application!