HealthCare.gov: Meeting the Mark

Friday, December 27, 2013

December 24 and the days leading up to it were critically important for enrollment in Marketplace coverage.

There's no question that, over this past weekend, Monday, and Tuesday, HealthCare.gov met the mark and did exactly what it was supposed to do--helping Americans from across the country find secure, quality health insurance coverage at an affordable price.

Over this four-day period, response time averages held steady at about a half second and page error rates were low at less than half a percent.

Monday, December 23, was our peak day. On Monday, the site was supporting 83,000 concurrent users while our queuing system was up, and it performed as designed.  For those queued, wait times were generally less than five to ten minutes and users were given the option of receiving an email telling them when they could come back and get right in. There were 129,000 people who took advantage of this opportunity and were invited back the same day to finish their applications.

On Christmas Eve, the site had a total of 880,000 visits, with no queuing.

The call center also received a high volume of calls on Monday and Tuesday, with 317,000 calls received on Christmas Eve alone.

We're going to do everything we can to ensure a smooth transition period for consumers whose coverage begins on January 1. And we're going to continue to work to ensure every American who still wants to enroll in Marketplace coverage by the end of the open enrollment period is able to do so.

If consumers have any questions regarding their coverage, they should call the insurer of their choice to, among other things, confirm enrollment or arrange payment of premiums, or the Marketplace call center at 1-800-318-2596. They can log in to their account to find out their insurer’s customer service line or browse through a directory on HealthCare.gov

The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services also has developed a number of consumer tips and fact sheets (under "Fact Sheets") to help consumers understand their new coverage such as what consumers should know about going to their doctor or getting emergency care.

We’ve seen the important progress made on HealthCare.gov, and we are going to keep working to make sure the consumer experience continues to improve throughout the open enrollment period.

Comments

Submitted by M on
I thought that was weird too. If you click on "No/I don't know" for income, it takes you to that weekly/bi-weekly/monthly, etc screen though. Dumb design; I think most people miss that the income is supposed to account for student deductions/alimony, etc?
Submitted by Moissy on
Can you please provide an update on status of appeals for those whose eligibility was either wrong or wasn't provided at all. I requested an expedited appeal more than two weeks ago because my individual insurance was being cancelled and the marketplace had incorrectly provided no eligibility results. But have received no acknowledgement. And call center is unable to help. What can we expect timewise? Will this really take 90 days to resolve? Thank you.
Submitted by Karen on
I have been trying to sign up for health care from 10/1 and still no luck. When I call the marketplace number they can never help me. They seem to have no idea on what they are doing. On Christ mas eve I tried again. I had an application in they system that took me all the way up to electronic signature and then would not let me go any further. So on Christmas eve I called the marketplace phone number. I called 5 times and told I couldn't hold because the lines were to busy. Finally on the 6th call it said sorry but we closed to let our employees go home for Christmas. So I missed the dead line. I don't think its fair because I didn't wait until the last minute. I have been trying over and over again for 2 months. I once held 2 hours to be told the system was down. I can fill out the application and it will take me all the way to signature page that wont go any farther. When I call marketplace all they say is I will delete the application and try a new one for you. When they try same thing happens. Then they say all I can do is delete it again and retry or you can try again tomorrow. What kind of answer is that. It doesn't matter when I try again it keeps happening. When I try live chat they tell me to call marketplace number. I need some real help.
Submitted by Michaela on
I am having the exact same problem and experience. Been trying to sign up since 10/1. I can never finish my application. I have called the 800 number numerous times, only to have the Rep go over the same questions over and over again. I deleted my applications, sarted new ones, registered again with a different email address: I tried it all. I get stuck after the electronic signature, and the verification system being down. I was told over the phone, I needed to mail my proof of identity (copy of driver's license, dicorce decree etc.), and include my application id. It's been 5 weeks and I still didn't hear back for hc.gov. Now it's 1/1/14 and I have no health insurance whatsoever. Very scary! Don't know what else to do!
Submitted by Mark on
Delete your application and start a new account with a new username, new email, and new password. There is a glitch in the system that doesn't allow it to be compatible with people that made accounts in early October. You will continue to go through this loop until you until you actually make a new account. I know it is a hassle but it will work. As a CAC I have helped many people with this problem and that seems like the only solution so far which I know it isn't a great one.
Submitted by Kim on
Still receiving ERROR ID:500.300.520 Won't show me plans to choose from, so can't enroll. Same error now since 12/19/2013. I am using Windows Vista/Mozilla Firefox. Please fix.
Submitted by John on
The only way to get past this error is to remove your application and complete a new one. If that does not work, it may benefit you to remove the application, create a new account (user name/etc) and create a new application on that account.
Submitted by muna on
i like to enroll in obama care
Submitted by Ron on
I have tried for over two weeks to apply for HealthCare. It appears I am at the LAST STEP of enrollment and I get Error ID:500.300588. When I called the MarketPlace Center the Rep got the same error. How can we apply if no one knows what the error is or how to get around it? Maybe by in the next few months I can sign up.
Submitted by John on
The only way to get past this issue is to remove the application and create a new application. If that doesn't work, remove the application and create a new account (username/etc) and then create a new application. You may also have to use a seperate email address for the purpose of the application. Be sure to search on healthcareDOTgov for questions and if not, call 1800-318-2596 for help. If you want in-person help, use the search "Find Local Help". It's on the front page.
Submitted by Bridget on
I created a log-in in August because we received notices that our insurance was being cancelled effective December 31. I then tried to enroll several times a day for the first few weeks of October. On October 3, I was able to get to "view eligibility results." I was not able to get past that point with that application or log-in. I waited as long as I felt comfortable for the site to be fixed and finally caved in and created a new log-in and application in the beginning of December. My husband and I were finally enrolled in a Blue Cross Blue Sheild plan. Something was odd when I completed the application on their site though- it said my premium was $500ish, but they were only drafting about half of that for my first payment. I called BCBS and they said my husband had opted out. ???? Yes, I took the time to apply for both of us, then opted him out- sounds sensible... So, I told them that he had not opted out- that he should be enrolled too (I can only assume that this is the 834 error that HHS has been referring to). The rep said that she had escalated the situation. The BCBS rep called me back the next day stating that my husband and I would definitely both be enrolled and that the full amount of the premium for both of us would be auto-debited from the account that I provided to them. I had a bad feeling about the whole thing, so I called today to verify that we were enrolled and the full payment would be auto-debited. The BCBS rep I spoke with today said I was misinformed earlier in the month and that my husband would not be enrolled until his portion of the premium was received by mail. I was so excited about "affordable healthcare" (our new plan actually costs $25 more a month than our current plan) until October 1. I honestly can not believe that signing up for health insurance on a website in 2013 could ever be this big of a disaster. I have a feeling that this won't be the end of my saga. I can only pray that BCBS won't further complicate the situation.
Submitted by Gwen on
I previously commented but forgot to add that before I completed my second application through your 1-800-318-2596 number, I was on hold for two hours and five minutes waiting for the next available representative. On December 24, 2013, I called at 7:05 p.m. and was connected with the representative at 9:09 p.m. I am so thankful for the representative who stated that he was called in from home to help with the applications. Waiting for my second eligibility letter so that I can enroll. Thanks.
Submitted by gwen on
I initially tried to applied for insurance coverage online through the marketplace in October. After several attempts at trying to apply online without success, I had to call the marketplace and apply by paper application. When I sent the application in, someone checked the box incorrectly stating that someone else was filing a separate federal income tax return for me. I received the eligibility letter on December 16, 2013. This caused me to be ineligible for the tax credit. I had to complete another application through the marketplace on December 22, 2013 with a representative. This process was quick and I was found eligible for a tax credit. I was told that I needed to send in proof of income to receive the credit. I put the documents in the mail on December 24, 2013 and mail it to Kentucky. However, the income that the IRS quoted when I did the application on the phone with the representative was only for taxable income which was not all of my husband's income. I am now waiting for the new eligibility letter with the correct income and tax credit that will be applied to my health care premium. I also received a new eligibility ID number which was different from the original one that I received on December 16, 2013. This has caused me to be unable to enroll and pay my premium for insurance. I am waiting for the new eligibility letter and ID so that I can finally get some mental rest. I am glad that things are better on the website but this has been very frustrating for me and my family. I just wanted to let you know what I have experienced since losing my insurance in September. I hope that I will be able to get my insurance by January 1, 2014. I feel that it is not my fault if I cannot get insured by the first of the year due to the mistake by whomever put my information into the computer from my paper application. Thank you. 12-27-13
Submitted by Gabriel on
I have been trying to enroll for days and I continue to get stopped at the final confirmation with this error message: "Sorry, an error has occurred. Please try again. If that doesn't work, log out Error ID:500.300588" I've used the online help service and spoke to several phone rep's with no success. Please get this fixed!
Submitted by David on
Hang in there, we're gonna make this a great success for all Americans!
Submitted by Mary B on
I applied for health coverage for my son and me on Dec 7, 2013. it kicked my son out from my application and forwarded his information to the state for a state program. Now we have to wait for the state to answer (that will take anywhere from 45-60 days) and my son will have no insurance until we get the answer. I do not feel that is fair. why can't we choose to opt out of the state program. everywhere I turn I hit a roadblock. we are now stuck without health insurance for my son who is on a travel team and plays sports for school. :(
Your son will be enrolled as of Jan.1, state programs operate on a different timeline and retroactively cover individuals.
Submitted by John on
The reason that it sent your son's information to a state program is because you entered information that caused it to go there. The system may be difficult to navigate sometimes but you can always call the marketplace hotline 1800-318-2596 if you have questions. It would be a great benefit to you (cost) that you son has coverage through the state program. Also, you can opt out of a state program benefit, but your son may not be considered for tax credits. The government would rather not pay into private health insurance if it can pay into state/federal programs. Think of it as putting money back into their pocket rather than a strangers. It may benefit you to contact your local state service center for more information about state programs.
Submitted by Olan on
so -- according to this ... was i one of the only ones that left my email and didn't get a notice until 6-8 hours later??? maybe i am not understanding how this is supposed to work ?
Submitted by Chloe on
I started my application in October. I had to have people on the phone help me several times in getting through glitches in the system hanging me up from proceeding. I'm still getting the 500.300588 error code for weeks now. Over the past few weeks I've had a number of phone representatives say they are unable to help with this error. Yesterday & today, when trying to call the call center, my call was repeatedly dropped, either after getting a rep, or while waiting on hold before ever talking to a rep. At this point, I see no way I can complete the process, even though I've made all the information, and completed all the details. I have no idea if I will at this point be able to get covered by January 1st, despite my having started trying back in early October.
Submitted by Darren on
As others have advised, either try deleting your application and starting a new one with your existing account, or delete your application and set up a brand new account with a different username and email address. Sticking with your original application from October will NOT work.