HealthCare.gov: Meeting the Mark

Friday, December 27, 2013

December 24 and the days leading up to it were critically important for enrollment in Marketplace coverage.

There's no question that, over this past weekend, Monday, and Tuesday, HealthCare.gov met the mark and did exactly what it was supposed to do--helping Americans from across the country find secure, quality health insurance coverage at an affordable price.

Over this four-day period, response time averages held steady at about a half second and page error rates were low at less than half a percent.

Monday, December 23, was our peak day. On Monday, the site was supporting 83,000 concurrent users while our queuing system was up, and it performed as designed.  For those queued, wait times were generally less than five to ten minutes and users were given the option of receiving an email telling them when they could come back and get right in. There were 129,000 people who took advantage of this opportunity and were invited back the same day to finish their applications.

On Christmas Eve, the site had a total of 880,000 visits, with no queuing.

The call center also received a high volume of calls on Monday and Tuesday, with 317,000 calls received on Christmas Eve alone.

We're going to do everything we can to ensure a smooth transition period for consumers whose coverage begins on January 1. And we're going to continue to work to ensure every American who still wants to enroll in Marketplace coverage by the end of the open enrollment period is able to do so.

If consumers have any questions regarding their coverage, they should call the insurer of their choice to, among other things, confirm enrollment or arrange payment of premiums, or the Marketplace call center at 1-800-318-2596. They can log in to their account to find out their insurer’s customer service line or browse through a directory on HealthCare.gov

The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services also has developed a number of consumer tips and fact sheets (under "Fact Sheets") to help consumers understand their new coverage such as what consumers should know about going to their doctor or getting emergency care.

We’ve seen the important progress made on HealthCare.gov, and we are going to keep working to make sure the consumer experience continues to improve throughout the open enrollment period.

Comments

Submitted by robin on
Can't see how this is going to help anyone but the insurance companies. The delectable are way to high all you do is pay for the insurance and you will get no coverage until you meet such high deductible. It a rip off!!
There are plans with lower deductibles. And you get all the preventive services like an annual physical exam, flu shot, colonoscopy, etc for no out of pocket costs.
Submitted by maggie on
Sorry, Glynis, but that $3000/yr premium is coming directly OUT OF MY POCKET. I'm tired of hearing about "free" preventative care. There is nothing free.
Submitted by Mao on
My wife completed the enrollment back on 12/09. The insurance company never gets the data and refuses the payment. The hc.gov 800 line keeps saying "it will take a while to get there". Finally hc.gov 800 line filed a complain(did they?) yesterday after I demanded an answer. "Someone from HICS will call you in 30 days". Today is new year eve. There are horror stories back in Oct. and Nov. I have no energy to write those down for now.
Submitted by Ric Kni on
[9:31:10 pm]: Thanks for contacting Health Insurance Marketplace Live Chat. Please wait while we connect you to someone who can help. [9:31:17 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people. [9:32:45 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people. [9:34:17 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people. [9:35:48 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people. [9:37:20 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people. [9:38:49 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people. [9:40:21 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people. [9:41:52 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people. [9:42:49 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people. [9:43:23 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people. [9:43:33 pm]: Welcome! You're now connected to Health Insurance Marketplace Live Chat. Thanks for contacting us. My name is sandra. To protect your privacy, please don't provide any personal information, like Social Security Number, or any other sensitive medical or personal information. [9:43:50 pm]: sandra How may I help you? [9:44:23 pm]: rick I am trying to upload my "verify yearly income documents". I select the document I want to upload and then nothing happens. How can I verify that my documents are being uploaded? [9:45:56 pm]: sandra One moment please. [9:48:27 pm]: sandra You cannot upload the document, even though the system says so, You can send your documents to: Health Insurance Marketplace, Dept. of Health and Human Services, 465 Industrial Blvd., London, Kentucky, 40750-0001 Do not send the original.(copies only) [9:49:27 pm]: rick ok....any idea when the system will be fixed? [9:49:50 pm]: sandra No.. [9:50:34 pm]: rick oh well........another 'glitch' I guess
Submitted by Ric Kni on
I have spent over 40 hours trying to get registered. When that task was finally accomplished, I get an email telling me that I have a notice. I click on the link and it takes me to the log-in page. I log in and have looked everywhere for "NOTICES". It isn't there. I start a chat. I talk to someone for over 25 mins and they are not able to help me find my notice. They suggest calling the 800-number. I call the 800 number and wait for 18 minutes and finally get to talk to someone. They take me through the 20 questions game and then hang up on me. I call back, am on hold for 32 mins and no one ever comes on. This is NOT my idea of "Meeting the Mark". You've failed miserably. The untrained, uncaring attitude of this agency makes me miss the BMV.
Submitted by Sarah on
Assuming you have a notice available about your Marketplace Eligibility: When you log in, select the "2014 [state] Application for Individual and Family Coverage" located below "View my current applications" on the "What would you like to do?" screen. If you do not see a green box on the following screen with the words "View Results" or "View Eligibility Results" on it then you will click, on the left hand side of that same screen "Eligibility and Appeals" and download it from there. That notice is just telling you that those results are ready. It probably will never go away.
Submitted by Man on
I keep on getting error code 500.300588 why the hell would you even have an error code when NO ONE in your call center have an idea what it is. Isn't the reason you have an error code is so you can identify what the problem is? NO ONES SEEMS TO KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING.
Submitted by logical human on
You're mistakenly assuming that the people on the other end of the 800 number are tech support. They are not. They're there to assist people with signing up and to give people information about a variety of topics. They are not IT. They can absolutely submit your feedback and it will make it up the chain, but venting your frustration on people because they don't know things that you think they should know is a bad way to go about things. It would be like calling up the xbox help center and wanting them to identify errors on your microsoft windows product.
Submitted by Ellen on
I was finally able to do an application on the phone and was told that I didn't qualify for a lower cost health insurance. I am about $300 over the Medicaid limit. My earnings are mainly social security. I was told that the cheapest plan for me was over $600 a month. I am a 62 year old widow. My health insurance now costs me $380 a month, but it is going up to over $700 a month. How am I supposed to afford that amount? It is more than half of my social security. I thought this was affordable healthcare.
You would qualify for a catastrophic plan because of the cost. You will still get all the preventive services like an annual physical, flu shot, colonoscopy, mammogram, etc and 3 primary care visits for no out of pocket costs with that plan. And it will have a cap on out of pocket costs. You should complete a hardship exemption form. Go to the website and type "hardship exemption" into the search box. Select the first result: how do I get an exemption from the fee for not having health coverage? Scroll down the page to "how to apply for an exemption". Select the first form: Form to apply for exemption based on coverage being unaffordable (if you live in a state using Healthcare.gov). Once that's approved you can apply for the catastrophic plan.
Submitted by Margaret on
The marketplace is a poorly run operation that no one should have to participate in to get insurance. Not only are they denying my minor child's eligibility for insurance, they are holding up my entire families' insurance until an appeal is settled. The appeals application says to call the marketplace for your appeal because it is time sensitive. Not surprising, the representatives from the marketplace say to do it in writing. What a joke, it's so time sensitive, that I've been trying to get insurance since the beginning of October. And the same representatives that approved all of this mess are the same ones that took a holiday knowing there were thousands of people losing their unemployment benefits. And to think those same representatives and their families have insurance and a paycheck. That we get taxed for.
Submitted by Bob on
HHS should know about the problem of being refused a way to pay the insurance company weeks after health care government site enrollment is complete and insurance company acknowledges they received the application from the federal web site. Now, Dec. 30, 2013, two days before January 1, 2014, there is no information about where to send the money and no health insurance card to get coverage. Apparently this is not a unique problem. Google: ACA insurance "won't take my money". Doesn't the new ACA law forbid refusing insurance to those like myself with preexisting conditions?
Submitted by amy on
You pay directly to your insurance company. That information was provided to you when your enrollment is completed. The Marketplace doesn't accept any payments because they do not provide the insurance
Submitted by Jon on
When will the identity verification process be fixed?
Submitted by Jordan on
Online chat is a joke. They just tell you to call the number. The people at the number are a joke. If you push them they'll "have someone call you back", which never happens. How is it you need my W2 or pay stub? YOU'RE THE FREAKING GOVERNMENT. YOU ALREADY HAVE THEM. And the inability to upload my files? Have you heard of FTP? It's been around for like 40 years, use it. If I don't get insurance by the 1st of January, after struggling to get all of this done since October 4th, I'm sending you the bills. Probably the most insulting thing is the constant reassurance that EVERYTHING has been fixed. NOPE.
Submitted by Oleg on
[6:39:20 pm]: Thanks for contacting Health Insurance Marketplace Live Chat. Please wait while we connect you to someone who can help. [6:39:24 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people. [6:40:54 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people. [6:42:26 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people. [6:43:55 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people. [6:45:25 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people. [6:46:56 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people. [6:48:27 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people. [6:49:56 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people. [6:51:27 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people. [6:52:58 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people. [6:54:27 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people. [6:55:06 pm]: Welcome! You're now connected to Health Insurance Marketplace Live Chat. Thanks for contacting us. My name is William. To protect your privacy, please don't provide any personal information, like Social Security Number, or any other sensitive medical or personal information. [6:55:27 pm]: William How may I help you tonight? [6:56:11 pm]: Oleg hello William! [6:58:11 pm]: Oleg I've been getting the following error message: "You have started an application for health coverage, but our verification system is temporarily unavailable. Without completing verification, you cannot submit your application for an eligibility determination. We will save your information and expect to resolve the problem within 24 hours." This has been going on for more than a week now!? What do I do? [7:01:48 pm]: William One moment please. [7:02:29 pm]: William To resolve this inconsistency, you need to mail a paper copy of [INSERT DOCUMENT TYPE] to the Marketplace. When you send your supporting documents, you should include your application ID number, which can be found on your online application. If you completed a paper application, your application ID number will be on the first document you received from the Marketplace. May I look up your application ID number for you? Please allow one to 2 weeks to process your information. You can send your documents to: Health Insurance Marketplace, Dept. of Health and Human Services, 465 Industrial Blvd., London, Kentucky, 40750-0001 Please make sure to keep the original versions of your documents and only send us copies. Your documents will be kept secure and only reviewed by Marketplace experts contracted by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), the federal agency that oversees the Marketplace. And don't worry; the Marketplace will protect all of your personal information. Once your documents are reviewed and processed, they will be securely shredded and destroyed. [7:05:39 pm]: Oleg Wait a minute... what do I have to mail in and why?? Can someone just fix the system?? [7:08:50 pm]: William What do you need to verify your ID citizenship social or what? [7:09:42 pm]: Oleg Are you asking me?? I don't need to verify anything. [7:10:26 pm]: Oleg Your verification system is not working [7:10:56 pm]: Oleg Is this a known issue and is someone working to resolve it?? [7:12:16 pm]: William Yes but until it gets fixed we need information sent in. [7:14:00 pm]: Oleg Could someone notify me via e-mail when it gets fixed? [7:18:43 pm]: William Have you tried clearing your cookies and deleting your history? [7:23:10 pm]: Oleg it has nothing to do with my computer; the problem is on your end! so, could someone notify me via e-mail when your verification system gets fixed? [7:26:15 pm]: William We are available to help you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can reach us toll free at 1-800-318-2596. Hearing impaired callers using TTY technology can reach us at 1-855-889-4325. In addition to English and Spanish, we can provide assistance in a number of languages through an interpretation service. We are closed on Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day. [7:26:18 pm]: William Thank you for contacting Health Insurance Marketplace Live Chat. We are here to help you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. [7:27:33 pm]: Oleg thank you for your useless service! what a waste of time and resources! [7:30:08 pm]: Oleg you completely ignored my question... not once, but twice!? [7:31:02 pm]: William We have no way to notify you.
Submitted by joan on
what is the address to verify myself in Illinois to send in a drivers license I am reading someone's call, really.
Submitted by Sarah on
Oleg, that error you received actually means that the federal agency that oversees the verification process is unavailable (IE, closed) and you will need to resubmit your application between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday. I am sorry if you ended up wasting your time submitting documentation.
Chat is very limited in what they can provide. This is what has worked for others who had the same problem as you: "I put in a fresh app with as little information as possible for the system to check. No SS#s for anyone, no green card info .. Without any bait out there to create a conflict, the system let me through. .. If you have primary ID verification in your profile (green) the secret is .. Go minimalist, but make income as honest as possible. You can input the ID info at the very end AFTER choosing a plan. You will get past that Yellow Screen of DEATH if you just wait untl the very very end with anything that could cause a conflict for the ID program."
Submitted by American on
People who started their application when there were problems verifying ID's are still bugged. You need to delete your application and start over entirely and it won't even ask. But now you can be stuck at the wonderful error 500.100 when trying to set a premium tax credit that hasn't been fixed and there's no way to move past it.
Submitted by Leo Sarabia on
The last effort of Americans contacted HealthCare.gov was awesome, It will continue to get better from Jan to March in 2014.
Submitted by PissssedOffff on
Thats funny. They said that in Nov too and that didnt hold true.
Submitted by Joseph on
This website is the worst website I have seen in years. You have links that link incorrectly (i.e. a link to BCBS that links back to healthcare.org). The enrollment application has an area that asks about employment and it automatically fills to "per month" regarding income instead of giving the option of choosing "weekly", "bi-weekly", "monthly", "quarterly", or "yearly" as it does in previous and following questions. Oh, and when you try to go back and edit that, it doesn't link to it. It's brilliant. Trained monkeys could do better. As it were, I was trying to actually pay for the coverage that I THINK I have enrolled in (one page tells me I have enrolled in it, while another says I have steps to take still, though I haven't found any steps that I can actually take). Is there any way to pay online? If not, does that mean I must do it by phone? If so, how? (This is another problem that needs addressing, by the way).
You pay directly to the insurer. Call the 800 number and have them check if you've completed all the steps.