HealthCare.gov: Meeting the Mark

Friday, December 27, 2013

December 24 and the days leading up to it were critically important for enrollment in Marketplace coverage.

There's no question that, over this past weekend, Monday, and Tuesday, HealthCare.gov met the mark and did exactly what it was supposed to do--helping Americans from across the country find secure, quality health insurance coverage at an affordable price.

Over this four-day period, response time averages held steady at about a half second and page error rates were low at less than half a percent.

Monday, December 23, was our peak day. On Monday, the site was supporting 83,000 concurrent users while our queuing system was up, and it performed as designed.  For those queued, wait times were generally less than five to ten minutes and users were given the option of receiving an email telling them when they could come back and get right in. There were 129,000 people who took advantage of this opportunity and were invited back the same day to finish their applications.

On Christmas Eve, the site had a total of 880,000 visits, with no queuing.

The call center also received a high volume of calls on Monday and Tuesday, with 317,000 calls received on Christmas Eve alone.

We're going to do everything we can to ensure a smooth transition period for consumers whose coverage begins on January 1. And we're going to continue to work to ensure every American who still wants to enroll in Marketplace coverage by the end of the open enrollment period is able to do so.

If consumers have any questions regarding their coverage, they should call the insurer of their choice to, among other things, confirm enrollment or arrange payment of premiums, or the Marketplace call center at 1-800-318-2596. They can log in to their account to find out their insurer’s customer service line or browse through a directory on HealthCare.gov

The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services also has developed a number of consumer tips and fact sheets (under "Fact Sheets") to help consumers understand their new coverage such as what consumers should know about going to their doctor or getting emergency care.

We’ve seen the important progress made on HealthCare.gov, and we are going to keep working to make sure the consumer experience continues to improve throughout the open enrollment period.

Comments

Submitted by Sarah on
Dear Anonymous, What works for many may not always work for everyone. The information John is providing is not misleading. It is also entirely probable that John actually works for the Help Desk (Live Chat or Phones) and did not design this website. If you feel as though his help is unnecessary, by all means, please enlighten the rest of us with your wealth of knowledge on moving past every error and "bug" that pops up on healthcare.gov. You must be an expert on the subject since you know for a fact that John knows absolutely nothing. Anxiously awaiting your informative reply, Sarah
Submitted by Grace on
Meeting the Mark? I was never able to complete my application process. I tried repeatedly from December 22-28 and each time was caught in a loop that sent me back to the beginning of the process. Twice it hit the verification stage then started me over again. Other times the verification system was down. I finally deleted my first application and started again. Same thing over and over. I just read some of the comments below and see I'm not alone. I believe in the Obama administration and in the health care reform. Having looked up the history of social security, I know the start up of a program of this magnitude will have problems. What I don't believe in is the whitewashing nonsense written above. I did get valuable information from healthcare.gov about what to look for in insurance policies so I was able to apply for coverage on my own. Today, I came back to close my registration and get my information out of the system since I won't be using the marketplace, but am now not even able to log in. It keeps rejecting my password. When I go through the "forgot your password" process, I'm told an email has been sent, but I do not receive one. The Affordable Care Act was signed into law March 2010. Surely that provided time to establish a reliable web site and application process. But who knows. Until I read the whitewash above & comments below, I actually wondered if the right had become so rabid, they were hacking and sabotaging the system to discredit and dismantle the new healthcare laws. Right now, I don't know what to believe.
Submitted by JENNY on
GET the CONNECTIONS with DSS for GUILFORD County, NC together.. THIS IS RIDICULOUS! I applied for coverage for my son 12-5-13 and SOMEHOW Guilford COUNTY and The reps From HEALTHCARE.gov dont have their stories straight. HCA.gov keeps referring me to Guilford COUNTY DSS who has DENIED me b/c of INCOME Restrictions that HCA claims that I should qualify for. THE reps at HCA.gov keep giving me the run around and saying that I dont qualify for discounts or Tax credits.Im not a bit concerned with Tax credits and Discounts.. I NEED COVERAGE For MY SON from Either HCA.gov or DSS. WHICH is it going to be??? I will not be charged a TAX penalty when NO agency is giving me the opportunity to enroll MY child in a HEALTH insurance program. Does anyone working with governmental agencies have a shred of common sense????
Submitted by Ray on
Error ID:500.100 same error message since December 13th. Not a single person at the call center knows what it means. Retryed the application over 20 times same error.
Submitted by Jim on
I'm very disappointed in the rollout of National healthcare. The IT systems and the backend people processes supporting them are not meeting my needs, and I'm worried they are not meeting the needs of other people. I live in New York State and I do realize that the NY has its own marketplace, and is not using the federal system. Here's the problem, I applied on New York State's website with plenty time before the December 23rd, 2013 deadline, giving all the needed information, but the system informed me that my application would have to undergo "special" review. The day after I applied, I called New York State's helpline, and waited more than 1 hour on hold. I finally reached a helpful person who cheerfully told me what my wife and I had to submit certain documents to support our request for a healthcare plan. We submitted the documents before December 23rd, as requested. Now we hear nothing. No letters in the mail, no emails, no nothing.
Submitted by Susan on
Have tried to enroll since thanksgiving. Made numerous attempts. On the enroll to do list "answer questions about tobacco use and sign up for plan are locked and cannot be used. Called 1-800 number and they said it was a glitch and they could not fix it on their end Application 164472632. Still cannot enroll. Deadline passed. Can we sue the government if we cannot sign up and the enrollment period passes? Have contacted rep and senator of FL. Still without healthcare.
Submitted by ginny on
something is fishy about this blog and comments. why did the comments and the tv coverage stop after new year's HMMM? order from on high? politically problematic? I applied bcbs a month ago-not in their computer yet even though I applied online. after getting hung up on and disconnected for hours I finally got thru to a human who put me on music for 1/2 hour until I couldn't stand it and hung up-my cousin has breast cancer and needs to go to sloan kettering just to stay alive-sloan kettering not in any new networks what is she supposed to do-die?
Submitted by John on
After reading this blog page, with so many people experiencing so many problems, there is no way I would attempt to sign up with this bogus "health" care system. Thanks for the free mammograms but no thanks for a bogus tool that emits radiation that causes cancer in 75% of those who expose themselves to mammograms. Read the facts by the world's authority on ionizing radiation by Dr. John Goffman, M.D. PhD. Nor do i need or accept bogus flu shots that cause untold damage with no proof that flu shots prevent any flu. I could go on but I am too busy with my life to get further embroiled in this pile of dog manure. One last thing, if healthcare.gov was legitimate, there would be a ban on standard of care, bogus dentistry where dentists are taught to install mercury amalgam fillings into children's mouths. You should all be ashamed of yourselves.
Submitted by John (a different one) on
Doctors, dentists, and health care professionals do not want to harm people. You must think that people are generally wrong, mean, or unkind. You are getting your information from unofficial sources. Your claim is inaccurate. Call the Health Insurance Marketplace at 1-800-318-2596 for helpful information or log on to Healthcare.gov
What a bizarre comment.
Submitted by AngryCitizen on
When I select "Son/Daughter" as my relationship to claiming tax filer it changes to "Parent" when I get to Summary and then later says my mother is my Son/Daughter. As a test I tried leaving the mess up as-is to see if that would prevent the error I get later on however it did not. After I get my eligibility results when I try to set my premium tax credit every time I get Error ID: 500.100 "Sorry, an error has occurred. Please try again. If that doesn't work, log out." I've made dozens of new applications and have been trying to enroll since October. Now I have no insurance and it's flu season. I CANNOT GET PAST THIS ERROR. SOMEONE NEEDS TO FIX THIS ASAP!
Submitted by Joshua Hocker on
I've also had this error since December. I wish I could get past it.
Submitted by Shanna on
I am having the same error and it has been happening for days. I called the hotline and they said give it 24 hours and they would try to fix the issue. I knew this was a copy and paste type of answer but there is nothing I can do about it. I am trying to get everything finished by the 15th in order to have Feb. 1st coverage but I don't think this is ever going to be fixed.
Submitted by M on
If I understand you correctly, you are the main "applier" in the application. Try opening an account under your mother's name/parents name instead of your name as the main "applier." Kept happening to my sister too until we started the application under my parents' name.
You need to delete the application and create an entirely new account with a new username, new password, and different email address.
Submitted by Nathan on
That does not work either. tried it. still get the same error
Submitted by Shelley on
I signed up in November with Anthem. They have never contacted me. In December I cancelled, went with Coventry for about an hour, until I realized the hospital coverage was so sparse. I cancelled that and went back to Anthem. Even with the cancellation, Coventry contacted me in two days. Nothing from Anthem. Is Anthem deliberately not responding to older applicants? Or are they just incompetent?
Seems pretty obvious, although I must ask have you tried calling Anthem?
Submitted by David on
I've applied over 100 times since early November. Each attempt ends in "verification server is temporarily unavailable" error message on signing page. I've left some apps in for a week, deleted and redone - Tried by phone - same error comes up. They say they'll send out paper app. Never arrived. So I downloaded forms and sent in mail application - registered delivery - back in mid Dec - No reply yet. Still trying to apply every day... Wanted coverage from 1st Jan. Should I be optimistic for Feb 1st?
Here's what others have done who have gotten the same message: "I put in a fresh app with as little information as possible for the system to check. No SS#s for anyone, no green card info .. Without any bait out there to create a conflict, the system let me through. .. If you have primary ID verification in your profile (green) the secret is .. Go minimalist, but make income as honest as possible. You can input the ID info at the very end AFTER choosing a plan. You will get past that Yellow Screen of DEATH if you just wait untl the very very end with anything that could cause a conflict for the ID program."
Submitted by Jordan on
What is the point of a giant multi hundred million dollar website if we're told to mail in our documents and payments? If you can't get it together, put the forms down at the post office, and we'll know to mail them in instead of wasting HOURS AND HOURS getting the run around from support people.
Submitted by Dominique on
Supervisor David Deveraux from the Healthcare.gov call center just hung up on me. I requested to speak to his supervisor. I initially started my application on October 15, 2013. There was a problem. I completed a new application on November 6, 2013. That information was supposedly sent to my insurance company. They never received it. I have been on the phone with both insurance company reps and healthcare.gov reps and no one has been able to help. My issue was escalated to some issue resolution team for healthcare.gov on December 20, 2013. My issue is still not resolved and no one will answer my questions for transfer my call to anyone on this special issue resolution team. I have been patient and polite but I do not appreciate David Deveraux hanging up on me without even attempting to resolve my issue. This is not acceptable.
Submitted by RobertHaub on
I've been surfing online more than 2 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It's pretty worth enough for me. Personally, if all webmasters and bloggers made good content as you did, the net will be much more useful than ever before.
Submitted by Kathleen on
Still unable to enroll for coverage on the website. The "identity verification" screen will not upload my documents. Called for assistance and was told I would have to mail my documents. This is a major inconvenience and could delay my chance of receiving coverage for February first. The system is not functioning properly.
Submitted by BG on
I am helping a customer enroll market place plans. Every time before "Submit", I got "verification system is temp down, please save and return", if I click the "Save and Return" button, when I go to view the application again, it asked me to start over, although information still there, but some you need re-answer again. The worst case is that, when it goes to "Dependent" section, now all the eligible dependents are gone, only one choice "Someone else" there. This for sure it is a bug. There is no way you can continue your current application but remove it, what a waste of time. The next bug is that when I put the primary's elder parents there, it asked who the grandparent live with, it did not list the son but grandkids and "someone else" even I added the grandparents as Parent of the primary applicant. After I chose the "Someone else", then type the son's name, and chose the relationship "Son/Daughter", the system got stuck, and cannot move forward. It is the first day of 2014, I have experienced the System Not available 3 times in the afternoon. This must be fixed, and it wasted too much time on the application.