HealthCare.gov: 3.7 million visitors this week

Friday, December 6, 2013

Today, we are providing weekly metrics on the stability and performance of HealthCare.gov.

As of noon today, more than 3.7 million consumers have visited HealthCare.gov this week (from midnight Sunday until noon Friday) to learn about their health insurance options, create an account, learn about financial help, compare options and select a plan.

This week, the site remained stable and experienced no unscheduled downtimes.   The average error rate was 0.77% and response time averaged well under 1 second, two of our key metrics in determining site performance.

The queuing system was deployed twice this week, once on Monday morning when our operations team monitoring traffic patterns saw response times slow and error messages rise for users in the process and once on Tuesday, proactively, in advance of the President’s remarks on health care.

During these two periods more than 16,000 consumers were put into the new queuing system to request an email notification on when to come back to the site. All were invited to come back in on the same day. Over 93% of those people who did receive the email to come back in did return and had high levels of engagement across the site, browsing 30% more pages and spending 15% longer on the site.

We have made progress. But as we have said, this is an iterative process.  We will continue to perform scheduled maintenance to the site.  During these maintenance windows the Marketplace will be offline and there will be periods when the federal data services hub will also be unavailable. These schedule maintenance windows are done during off-peak hours and designed to increase the consumer experience and functionality of the website. This weekend, CMS is scheduled to perform maintenance in the usual 1-5 AM windows.

Comments

Submitted by Chris on
It would be helpful to tell us when the VERIFICATION system at the end of this process will work. I have called so many times trying to COMPLETE an application only to be told to come back in 24 hours, reenter my information and hope that it works. The Help Desk representatives can't even tell me what agencies you verify against so I can see if I have issues with them. I am no where ahead than I was Oct, only that I know I will need to get private insurance so I can cover my family by Jan1, that I will pay out of pocket at a larger amount than I paid before. Thanks a lot.
If you have an application from Oct then remove it, restart your browser and start over.
Submitted by Ellen on
It is now 7:43 a.m. on Dec. 10 and the site is still offline due to maintenance. Considering that BCBS wants payment by Dec. 20th for coverage to start Jan.1, and considering BCBS will not accept payment online and it has to be done via the Marketplace website this is UNACEPTABLE. Obama expects everyone to have health care but if we are unable to use the tools HE provided we can't get the healthcare HE wants us to have in the time frame HE originally wanted us to have it done.
Submitted by SL on
please fix the ERROR ID that is popping up. Also edit button to make corrections such as selecting wrong answer. Can you have the user select the section that needs to change and continue to the review and sign site. It would be a great help instead of going through process again.
If you keep getting an error then remove that application, restart your browser and start over. If you get the same error with a new application then create a new account with a new user name, new password, and different email address.
Submitted by Charlie on
It is clear that Obamacare is failing / many broken promises and outright lies and patronization of special interest groups.mtime to delay individual mandate
Submitted by Beth on
I have been stuck at the Confirm your plans screen where you actually enroll for 6 weeks. No one can help, and no one can tell me if I'm going to make the deadline to get health insurance by December 15 or 23rd! I have been trying to enroll since October 1, and I'm very disappointed and extremely frustrated. I feel that no one is addressing my issues, and there is absolutely no sense of urgency on anyone's part to fix the bug that is keeping me from enrolling. Again, I have been working with this broken system since the first day, and I STILL haven't been able to enroll. More than 25 calls to the 800 number later, and several calls to the insurance company I'm trying to enroll with. I'm beyond upset and worried. I cannot afford to keep paying for my son's policy, and with the reset on his deductible in January, if I don't have us both switched January 1st, I'll be stuck without insurance for another year. I can barely afford to keep paying for his insurance, and I cannot afford to start paying on his deductible only to restart with another company in February, or March, or whenever this abomination of a website is fixed.
Submitted by Jaafar on
I was stuck on the submit the application for weeks, I saw an advice on the blog to create a new account and start all over again. I did that and everything went fine with me, I am just waiting now for the insurance company to send me a bill. What I suggest you do is to delete the application you submitted, clear all the cookies open a new account and apply again. Hope this helps
Submitted by William on
Don't hold your breath on hearing from the insurance company. On October 13,2013, through the healthcare.gov marketplace, I applied for coverage with Anthem. A month later I had not yet heard from Anthem. Live chat at healthcare. gov told me to call Anthem at 855 720-3502. When I called there they told me to call 855 748 1804. When I called there they told me to call 888 266 3016. When I called there they told me to call 855 748 1804. When I called there a second time they transferred me to a disconnected number. 11/12: The live chat at healthcare.gov could not help me at all. They supposedly filed a report, as follows, captured from the screen shot: The Advanced Resolution Center has received your issue and is currently processing it. You will receive a response within 2 - 5 business days from the date of your initial request. Please call back after this time if you have not received a response. Marketplace call center at 1-800-316-2596. I sent a complaint to Senator Shaheen’s office and to the NH Department of Insurance. 11/18: I received a letter from NH Department of Insurance, saying they will contact Anthem and that I should hear back from them within two weeks. 11/19: I got call from Laura Haselton at Sen. Shaheens office, they want to be kept informed. 11/22: I called 1-800-316-2596. I got this recorded message: The number you have called cannot be reached from your location. 11/23: The healthcare.com chat line gave me this: I apologize for the inconvenience. Please call the marketplace at 1-800-318-2596, Monday morning. Let them know of your situation and have them check for a flagged issue for the Advanced Resolution Center. 11/25: I called 1-800-318-2596, that turns out to be the main number for the marketplace, it is not the Advanced Resolution Center, and they do not, or will not, give out a number for it. I asked to speak to a supervisor. The supervisor said they have an Anthem policy number 239821, member number 0000084370, phone 1-855-748-1813. I went to the Anthem website to logon to my account, this message came up: We're sorry, you cannot register at this time because we cannot find you in our system I called 1-855-748-1813. The number is not in service. 11/25: I received, signed and returned to Sen. Shaheen’s office a privacy release form so that they may discuss my case with the NH Dept. Insurance 12/02: I received communication from and replied to NH Department of Insurance: In a message dated 12/2/2013 11:08:58 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, Thank you for the update, however, I’m not sure if you’ve heard but the issue is not on Anthem’s end it is with the federal website, which we don’t have any oversight over. I can give you the National Consumer # 800-318-2596 and you can see if they are able to assist you with your concerns. Unfortunately, we are a state agency and we do not have any authority over the Healthcare.gov website and how it works or doesn’t work, as it is a federal program. I replied: I have called 1-800-318-2596. According to them the problem is not at their end but with Anthem. They sent my information to Anthem. They in return received the policy number and a customer number I gave you, which could not have occurred if they had not forwarded my information to Anthem and gotten a reply. As for Anthem, as I already stated I have been stymied at every turn in my efforts to reach anyone there who can give me any answers. You indicated in your letter of Nov. 15 that you were going to contact Anthem. I assume that your reply indicates that you heard from them. If so I would appreciate a name and number of a person actually responsible for the implementation of the New Hampshire Anthem marketplace plans who can tell me tell me how I'm supposed to resolve this issue. As of 1/1/14 I will be uninsured, and the last thing I need to be subjected to is endless buck-passing. 12/02 I received this from NH Dept.Insurance: In a message dated 12/2/2013 12:41:27 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, You filed a complaint with this office against Anthem, and it was sent to anthem for a review and response. I have not received a response as of yet, as soon as I hear anything I will notify you. I replied: I don't want to come off as flippant, but your response gives me the impression that whether or not Anthem is actually issuing marketplace policies is not a high priority issue with the NH Department of Insurance. I'd say thank you for your efforts, but if all that amounts to is sending a letter and letting it go at that I'm afraid that just doesn't cut it. I have 29 days before I'm uninsured. 12/02: I saw on the evening news that I’m not alone. They reported that others have signed up for coverage and been confirmed but that the policies were never issued. Unfortunately they did not report on how one goes about fixing it. 12/3 I received a call from Kelsey at Anthem. She was assigned my case after Anthem had been contacted by Sen. Shaheen. She said that a policy was not issued because they got a letter from healthcare.gov saying that there were 3 errors in my application. She called the marketplace with me on the line. The marketplace representative found no errors on the application. She gave them the error codes that healthcare.gov had issued. The heathcare.gov representative could not identify what those codes were. The only thing the healthcare.gov representative could say is that my application was complete and that Anthem should have issued a policy, and that no one at healthcare.gov could render any further assistance. Kelsey shared my frustration with not being able to speak with anyone at healthcare.gov who was actually able to do anything. She said she was going to immediately forward my case to the billing and underwriting section at Anthem in hopes that someone there would know who to speak to at healthcare.gov to get to the bottom of the problem and fix it. She said she would call me back by Friday 12/6 with a progress report. 12/6. Kelsey called, she has made no progress, no one at Anthem knows who to contact at healthcare.gov to fix this. She said she will call again next week.
Submitted by Kyle V. on
Same problem here. No hopes at all. I called them multiple times and all they do is transfer me around and to the same number I once started. They want me to call the 1-855-748-1813 to see if I can get any help from there. As you mentioned, it was not a working number. I've spent too much time on this and now I still have no coverage.
Submitted by Josh on
This seemingly ridiculous story is very similar to what I'm going through right now, so I'd love to hear if/how this problem was resolved. Thanks!
If you have been stuck at that part since October first, then why not just reset the application and start over entirely? If you haven't been able to enroll into a plan then all you should need to do is select the new "remove" option under "View my current applications."
If you've read any previous posts you'll see the recommendation to delete your application, restart your browser, and start over. If you have an account from Oct you should probably just start fresh with a new account with a new username, new password and different email address. Accounts and applications from Oct are likely to have been corrupted because of the software bugs and fixes which is probably why your application is stuck. It can't be fixed. Start over.
Submitted by WL on
Suggestion: ID verification mid-way thru the application is rough for people with a limited credit profile, as Social Security numbers for family members don't pair off and let the applicant proceed to actual insurance products. Might there be a public announcement for these folks - what should they do to actually get enrolled and not just wait without success? This isn't a situation where deleted applications or multiple IDs will do very much. Can't there be some option where people could bring various identity documents to a federal agency or upload them to a credit agency, just to get them identified? No credit impact. Experian could be on the phone confirming that the person's profile is there but insufficient for credit identity.
Submitted by MB on
It is pretty much impossible to apply online if you have no credit history. I mailed copies of my driver's license 3 times to the Marketplace. I did a phone application back on Oct. 22nd. I was eventually approved for a subsidy. However, since my online login account had never been updated to show that I had been verified, I was unable to link the application to my login account. I was unable to enroll in a plan and no one at the call center was able to help me enroll. They escalated me 3 times to the Advanced Resolution Center. They never called me back. On November 5th, I called the call center and they finally transferred me directly to the Advanced Resolution Center. The guy I talked to started a completely new application for me, got my eligibility result almost instantly and enrolled me in the BC/BS plan that I wanted. I had done research & know exactly which plan I wanted. I called my insurance company on December 6th and they have just received my enrollment information from the Marketplace. I have my new member ID number and they said by December 13th, they should have my billing account set up and I can pay my first payment by phone or wait for them to mail an invoice to me. I still can't link this application to any of my log in accounts because of the ID verification problem, even though I have mailed the info & uploaded documents to the website on 2 of my log in accounts. If it hadn't been for the Advanced Resolution Center, I would have never been able to get insurance.
I read a comment from someone who has had this problem with no credit history and a wife with a green card. This is what he said: "I put in a fresh app with as little information as possible for the system to check. No SS#s for anyone, no green card info for the wife, even no racial information. .. Without any bait out there to create a conflict, the system let me through. Near the finish line I was able to read a pdf explaining that I would have to provide at some point ID docs for myself & family confirming what they need to know, passport, green card, social security card". He had already uploaded and mailed that information as well. This is a definite problem that the website can't handle. I also wonder if in person enrollment with a broker might be able to work around this issue?
Submitted by K on
I am disappointed. I do not like that you need to put everyone in a household on the application. Even if only one person in the household is applying for the health insurance. They should only need to person's information who is applying for health insurance especially if you are over 21. They should not take in any other factors when applying.
Submitted by Linda on
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you only have to give them your information. Since your the only person applying for coverage, I wouldn't even mention that other people live there.....or better yet.....call the 800 #.
Submitted by K on
Thank you for the advice. I did call the phone number . They told me if I live with someone else that is consider a household. It also tells you on the application that you must put people you live with even if they are not applying for health insurance.
Submitted by Sarah on
Actually it is a little bit more complicated than that. For example, you should include anyone that you claim as a dependent or include on your tax return even if they do not live with you but you should not include family members or other people that you DO live with that file their own tax return or that you do not claim as a dependent. For more information, please visit the link below. https://www.healthcare.gov/what-income-and-household-information-do-i-provide-when-i-apply-for-marketplace-coverage/
Submitted by Dawn on
i have been trying to finish my enrollment since Monday. Up to now I still can't submit my enrollment. I just have one last stop finishing enrollment by pressing the "CONFIRM" key, but kept on getting the "ERROR" message no matter how many time i tried logging in myself or calling in a few times a day. I don't know why the system is still not working properly. Deadline is approaching before I can get covered as early as January 1, 2014. I have been trying it day & night, late until 2:30am,& early around 7am. Can someone tell me how i can handle it sucessfully.
When you call the 800 number are they able to see your application and finish this step for you?
Submitted by James Wimberley on
These numbers translate to 822,000 visitors per standard 24-hour day, so the site is meeting its stated capacity objective. What we really want to know, of course, is the enrolments in private plans and Medicaid. These are being leaked and spun in a very incomplete and rather unsatisfactory way. Why can't this be provided in an unaudited weekly report, and eventually a daily counter on the home-page? The commenters on this blog are predominantly the unfortunate owners of stuck applications. The total number of these is another important performance metric, in the light of President Obama's promise of individual help. But if you are stuck, don't wait for help, follow Glynis' advice and start again. The error rate per page is a tenth of what it was in early October; which translates roughly into a tenfold improvement in your chances of making it through the process safely with a new application.
Submitted by ched on
I have started new applications - a few, in fact - with the same results: complete the entire application, then get stuck at the end with the "verifications systems unavailable, will definitely be fixed within 24 hours, try again later" false promise.
Submitted by James on
I have been working on trying to get through this process since 1st week in October. The original on-line application never would go through. On Oct. 16, I did a phone application. It apparently went through and was approved. I have been told by your phone reps the amounts of tax credit subsidies that we would qualify for. Last week, when the "Remove" button was added, I removed the old on line application from my account. I then tried to add the "approved" phone application to my account by using the "Find my existing application" button. I have the application number of the approved application. When the program tries to find the approved existing phone application, it come back with the message: "Sorry, we weren't able to find your application. Please wait 24 hours before you try again." I have trying this for 4 days, and get the same message each day. The phone reps have been of no help, All they can offer is wait and try again in 24 hours. I tried all the things that have been suggest with the computer (clearing history, cookies, cache, set up another user name with different email, etc. etc.) I understand from some of the phone reps that this is a common problem that many people that removed old on-line applications are having. I understand from the phone reps that I could move forward with signing up for a plan over the phone, but I find it impossible to evaluate and pick a plan from 26 plans over the phone. I need to see the details of what is offered. Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue would be helpful. Time is slowly ticking away.