Weekly Wrap-Up: the Latest Fixes to HealthCare.gov & Open Enrollment by the Numbers

Saturday, November 16, 2013

As we continue to improve HealthCare.Gov, we wanted to provide you with a wrap up of the fixes we’ve made to the site over the last week and an update on open enrollment.

Yesterday, Jeff Zients provided an update on the status of our efforts to improve HealthCare.gov. As Jeff said, we’ve made measurable progress in the last few weeks, clearing over 200 items from our punch list. This week the site was very stable. Here are a few of the major fixes:

• We've improved response time (how fast the system responds to user’s requests) from an average of 8 seconds at launch to under one second for most users.
  • By eliminating glitches and executing bug fixes in the software, we’ve driven the error rate on pages down to under 1%.
  • To improve the user experience, we added visual cues to plan compare screens to help consumers select the best plan.

For next week, we’re prioritizing a list of 50 additional fixes and improvements. As always, we will continue to provide updates on our fixes as we have them.

While we make improvements to HealthCare.gov, Americans all over the country are shopping for coverage and enrolling in the new Marketplace.

On Wednesday, we released our most detailed report to date on our first reporting period of Open Enrollment. Between October 1 and November 2, 106,185 individuals selected plans from the Marketplace and another 975,407 applied and received an eligibility determination, but are still shopping. An additional 396,261 were assessed or determined eligible for Medicaid or the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP).

That means, in total, 502,446 Americans are positioned to have health coverage starting in 2014. As more and more Americans enroll, we’re starting to hear their stories about what getting coverage means to them:

Paul Vlosich from Uniontown Pennsylvania initially had trouble with HealthCare.gov but was persistent and eventually selected a silver plan that has a lower cost, lower deductible, and lower co-pays than his previous coverage. With tax credits, he will be paying $60 per month. Paul’s mom recently passed away from cancer. Before she passed away, Paul promised her that he’d always take care of himself and have health insurance.

Lara Imler from Anchorage switched careers in 2004, trading in her accountant’s calculator for a new career as a hairdresser. While she loves her new job, she missed the insurance benefits of her old job because they helped her treat a thyroid disorder. On October 24th, Lara gave HealthCare.gov another chance and was able to enroll in a silver plan that cost $100/month—substantially lower than the $1,200 she’d been quoted before the Marketplace.

While we’re still not where we want to be with HealthCare.gov, the site is getting better and better. As Secretary Sebelius has said, we won’t stop until every American who wants it gains access to these new options for quality, affordable care.

Comments

If you're stuck at identity verification you need to create a new account with a new username, new password, and new email address. Delete cookies and temporary internet files first. Those early problems with Experian are now fixed and people stuck at the same place you are have success by creating a new account and starting over.
Submitted by Daniel on
When are you going to fix the problem with identifying people, been waiting a month and a half now.
Submitted by Glen on
Received an e mail from Healthcare.gov stating I had a notification and to log on to see it. When I did this there was a statement saying I had a notification, but there was nothing there to open or click on to see what it said. How do I find out what it says?
Click on "Eligibility and appeals" if it's a notification about your eligibility.
Submitted by James on
I cannot complete my NJ application because the same questions are asked over and over. What is your SSN? Do you have dependents? What is your SSN? Do you have dependents? Etc, etc.
Sounds like your account got corrupted if you stuck in a loop. You need to create a new account with a new username, new password, and new email address. Delete your cookies and temporary internet files first.
Submitted by Irene on
I have been trying with no success at getting through the process since October 26th ( the first day that I was even able to access the website due to glitches) It is still stuck on the identification process.) REALLY?? how can it take that long to verify my identity?? No one in the chat can help, they say call the 800 number. I have called the 800 number, and they can not help either. At this rate, just how many will be able to actually sign up for the REQUIRED health care??? All the 800 number can tell me is that I am ELIGIBLE.. eligible for what??? Isnt everyone required to go through this process and there fore eligible??? I am very confused.
People stuck in this same place have been successful by creating a new account with a new username, new password, and new email address. Delete your cookies and temporary internet files first. Nothing will happen if you ignore the first account and application when your create a new one.
Submitted by Kathy on
I assumed, for many year, that by the time I reached "old age" the health care issues in this country would be ironed out. I hope so much that this is the beginning of exactly that. I feel that our economy depends on it. People have had so few options. The decision to start a business, for instance, seems terribly risky under the conditions that have existed for many years. I feel now, for the first time in my life, that once I have affordable insurance I can risk venturing out, on my own and trying my hand at a small business. Thank you, everyone who is involved in making this happen.
Submitted by Mary on
All I hear on the talk shows is "no one can enroll" and "the website doesn't work". If people are actually able to create and account and enroll each day (I don't care how many), that needs to be the new narrative from the talking heads who go on television every morning (David Axelrod, Steven Ratner, etc.) I know you're worried about too many people, but I doubt that's your problem right now. Start water-dripping "it's working, people are enrolling". Otherwise the end of November is going to have so much build-up and possible disappoint. Turn the end of November into less of a big event.