An Update on HealthCare.gov

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Today, we provided an operational update on the status of HealthCare.gov.  In terms of the user experience today, we are seeing slowness in the Marketplace application and some users are having difficulties with log-ins.  We are working now to identify the root causes and put in place repairs as soon as possible.

There is still a lot of work to do, but our efforts to improve and enhance HealthCare.gov continue to progress.  Overnight, the team added a new software release that included dozens of fixes. These focused on improving the user experience and agent and broker processes.

Specifically, these fixes included:

• Improvements to the HealthCare.gov Marketplace application. For example, enabling consumers to input and properly save income and citizenship information so that they can smoothly continue through the process.
  • Improvements that allow individuals and agents and brokers to locate partially completed applications more easily, and complete the process more efficiently.
  • Enhanced notifications to consumers to help them know whether they have correctly input their information.

Last night’s software release was another important step as the team continues to focus on making the site work better for consumers who are looking for affordable, quality health coverage, as well as addressing key punch list items that improve the site’s backend functionality.

Comments

Submitted by robin on
I go to click on eligibility results and it says website doesn't exist
Submitted by Ann on
Eligibility results not working: IE error: webpage declined to show this page. Anyone else having this issue?
Submitted by David on
Everything I click on the "view eligibility results" it brings me to a blank page. After waiting 30 minutes the page remains at it's blank stage. I'm so close to completing this process. All I need is to pick the coverage so I can get insurance! Please help!
Submitted by Molly on
I cannot view my eligibility results either. Nothing is loading when I click on the link.
Submitted by Courtney on
since there are "complications" on the website and I have a limited number of days before I am charged a fee if I do not have healthcare, I feel as if we should get some slack. how can I sign up for something, if it doesn't work?
Submitted by Beth on
My eligibility PDF page is coming up as a document filled with a ? for every letter, also the log-in page is now frozen and not allowing me to log in, looks like that problem is still not fixed. I also looked at other people and they are having difficulties or a blank page for the eligibility results.
Submitted by Jeanne on
How in this day and age would a person who Experian could not verify his/her identity be told to write a letter on paper and include paper copies of his/her Social Security card, state ID and a hand-written signature to be snail-mailed to HHS in KY? In the first place, the person works, pays taxes and has a bank account. Just because he pays in cash and/or in full for all his purchases, how does that allow that because Experian doesn't know about him, he can't prove who he is? Secondly, why can't his income be verified based on his Social Security number without a paper copy of it. HHS should be able to access the Social Security database electronically. Or, as I said he does file a tax return, so his identity should be able to be verified electronically in that way. I know that Turbo Tax believes he is who he is and no paper changes hands in that case. And, finally, IF there is still some legitimate reason that HHS needs to "see" the documents (but not the originals, but just copies), why can't a picture/scan of them be emailed to HHS? I am a BIG supporter of both President Obama AND the ACA, but this is very frustrating to me as there is advertising everywhere about how simple the process is and that it can all be done online. The millenials who walk around glued to their smart phones do not deal in paper. This NEEDS to be fixed and brought into the new world.
Submitted by Andrea on
I call shenanigans. NONE of the alleged "fixes" are visible. There is no easy nor visible option to upload documents to verify identity (smoothly continue through the process? LOL). Identify verification through Experian doesn't work; Experian does their job, Marketplace does not upload results and update profile, resulting in a never ending cycle of identity verification. This website is still extremely problematic. Customer Service reps give different information with each phone call (same question, different answers = no solution). I believe in this program and will continue to encourage and assist people to sign up. But the never ending website flaws are frustrating.
Submitted by Mike on
Same here. Have deleted and resubmitted 4 applications. Two on my own and two through the 800#. I called Marketplace just now and the representative showed no record that I have ever submitted an application. Though the representatives have been very kind, whomever came up with this system will suffer for eternity in Hell. Probably in the form of data entry. Its very embarrassing. We are a healthy family of 4 and don't even take aspirin. Insurance is so expensive and frustrating that If I don't get my application through this week, I will opt to go without and pay the penalty.
Submitted by Mary on
Someone please tell me how a 62 year old woman, retired, with an income of $20, 900 something $$$s a YEAR, social security income ONLY, would not qualify for the subsidies. The TINY TINY little note posted way down there in my letter of acceptance, which I downloaded to my computer, has an "unnoticeable" comment that I don't qualify for subsidies BECAUSE I don't have a tax disposition of any kind. Well, no, that's because it's social security that I already paid in over a lifetime (or rather my dead ex-husband; which, by the way, so did I in that lousy marriage), and that IS my income. Never ever was it ever said on the website, in all the months that I studied this over and over, that I would NOT qualify for any help whatsoever, financially, AND that I could just go ahead and pick my plan and pay $551 a month (out of $1746 a month income; no one else supports me, I pay my own bills, you know--the roof over my head, electricity, gasoline, groceries, and all those extra luxuries like that) and, not only that, but I could also sign up for a $6000 something $$$$$ deductible, as though we're all being supported by someone else. I have NO inclination to get a sugar daddy, I'm way past that for the last many yrs, but enough of the personal. We know we're not supposed to get personal, lol. None of this is personal. That is almost 33% of my entire monthly income, and I picked the SILVER plan, read me, the SILVER plan, and this premium and deductible were virtually the lowest ones on the SILVER plan. I highlight the SILVER plan because I don't want anyone telling me that I didn't choose the silver plan. This is ridiculous. I have campaigned in my hometown, not formally, but nonetheless campaigned, even to my family for the ACA and these insurance plans. I feel so betrayed and don't trust anyone, at this point. I was told that I could file an appeal that probably wouldn't be answered for 90 days. Yeh, this gives them plenty of opportunity to charge me a penalty, right? Right. Someone please help me, please. I have talked to 4 different representatives about this, and they are very careful to tell me all the rehearsed speeches, as though they only expect certain questions, and nothing else. An appeal? We're all having to do aerobics and heart attack status stuff to get what we all were originally for, and this is FEBRUARY, the first time that I could obtain enough money to pay what I thought was going to be a smaller premium and deductible. I live in Texas, if the rest of it isn't bad enough, and even if Texans in my situation COULD get Medicaid (not in this state, not with those low low income levels, lower than mine), there would be no doctors in my area that accept it, maybe even in HOuston, and that is 50 miles away. What a disappointment.
Submitted by Amie on
I had been trying since October to get insurance. I have deleted 4 different applications and have started over. The last one I got through the whole process. Application, picked a plan, all i needed to do was confirm and make first premium payment. At that point my application became locked and would not let me do anything. I called the marketplace number and that was a joke. The lady on the phone told me " everything looks fine on my end, its locked on your end". I then asked her how i could lock myself out and she said told me she didn't know and then told me "to be pro active and retry the next day and call back if it wasn't fixed". This whole thing is ridiculous and anyone who thinks this whole market place thing is a good idea has problems.
Submitted by John on
You can find help locally with a trained navigator, marketplace guide, certified application counselor, or other assiters. You can seek them out by going to: https://localhelp.healthcare.gov/ You should call before and try to make an appointment. Bring all documents that you would need for your application. This would include identifying documents like a photo id, social security care, all income statements for everyone in the household. Also bring your email address and password so that you can get into your Healthcare.gov account. Make sure to bring the user name and password for the account too!
Submitted by Steve on
I signed up.Got to where you pick a coverage,I make 26K they want $190.00 a month with a $6,250 year deductible that's $8,530 a year not counting $40 copay.That is not affordable
Submitted by John on
Due to your income, you may qualify for cost-sharing reductions. This would reduce the amount you might have to pay in deductibles, copays, and out of pocket maximum. These are only possible with Silver level plans. Do not be discouraged by the high deductible. You shouldn't have to pay that full amount unless you expect to have services costing up to that amount. Also, keep in mind that you will often pay much less for services and out of pocket costs because of negotiated rates set by insurance companies. They will always try to find the largest discount or lowest charge since they are often contracted with providers. If you expect to endure large costs throughout the year, you may want to get a higher level plan like Silver or Gold. It would be a lower cost total annually if you get a higher premium and lower deductible plan.
Submitted by Richard on
The so-called enhanced notifications would be more useful if there were some way to actually see them. I've been trying for days to get the app finished and each time I get told the verification systems are not working and I need to come back later, review the damn thing yet again, sign it yet again and probably be told - yet again - the verification systems aren't working. are these so-called fixes actually working - does anyone check to see if - for instance - it's possible to view the notifications. And what's the point of making people go through the app process if your verification systems don't work?
Submitted by troy on
During the application process it asked if I am US citizen. I check the box yes. Now it wants me to verify I am a US citizen. Won't let me upload proof. I've tried several times. It does absolutely nothing when I try to upload my document. Do they even use upload software on their website. I'm thinking, no.
Submitted by George on
Eligibility results download as several blank .pdf pages and a bar code on one page. This seems to be a common theme in these comments. Is there a work around for this? I'd like to actually know if I am eligible for any savings, etc before choosing a plan.
Submitted by Mei on
Hi George, I had the same exact problem! So frustrating! My husband tried several things but what worked for us was to open the document in Adobe Acrobat. Hope that works for you. Good luck!
Submitted by Hemant Patel on
I have applied atleast three times on line and over the phone 4 times in last 96 hours and spent almost 12 hours to submit the application but could not. At the end page of sign and submitting says message "verification system is currently unavailable and will be up and running in 24 hours" The deadline is around the corner and don't figure out how to submit now.
Submitted by PJ on
Please, President Obama, read these comments. If this had happened during your first term, you would not have been reelected, and I am an avid supporter! Have tried more than six times to complete this. The last couple times I reached "Identity Verified" page with the green checkmark. yay! But then, nothing. Application still "In Progress." Tried Live Chat (hold the laughter down), and she was no help, She told me to log out and try again the next business day. Yea, that worked...
Submitted by Thanh on
I have been returning to the website to check on the eligibility results over and over again, but all I keep getting is a blank page. How can something so important not process? This week it's a blank page with a bar code. This is a technical issue and anyone that I've talked to on customer service can not help. Also, my parents are naturalized American citizens, and it asks for their immigration verification for non-American citizens. I am very concerned because I want to complete this before December 23rd.
Submitted by Tonya on
I tried to create an account. Got as far as answering the security questions and was automatically logged out. Tried the chat, got the impression that they didn't want to deal with me. I was directed to call the 1-800 # and get them to help. Called the 1-800 #, and the CSR. helped me to fill out the application over the phone. Couldn't submit because the eligibility screen was down on her end. I called back an spoke to another CSR. This one was a little more helpful on how to successful create an account online. We redid the application over the phone ( what happen to the first application I did?) and he gave me a confirmation code to enter when I logged into my account. The eligibility screen was still down and I was asked to call back in 4 hours. Created an account online. Still a blank screen. Someones and somebodies doesn't want this good idea to work, hoping everyone gets frustrated and gives up. Inside sabotage I think. I will be back, it will be fixed, and it will prove to be a big help. I voted for healthcare reform and I refuse to allow these little hiccups to deter me.
Submitted by Jeff on
Give up. Healthcare.gov is the most ridiculous thing to ever happen to this country. Dropped by my provider starting first of the year. Cant get insurance now. For the first time in my life do to healthcare reform I cannot get health insurance.
Submitted by Tania on
I also cannot view my eligibility results but was told to go ahead and look at plans......Well with a monthly income of 1400, my plan was going to be 800. My husband is on disability and I am his caregiver and cannot get a job. With us paying his supplemental insurance of almost 300 HOW DO THEY EXPECT US TO EAT OR HAVE A HOUSE TO LIVE IN? So, yes, it is a crock that you cannot view why you aren't getting assistance so you have no way to appeal. The phone center is of No HELP and the online chat is a JOKE!
Submitted by Alex on
Just thoughts how to speed it up: - never use chat: wasting your time and taxes we pay, they eventually make you to call after 15-60 minut of frustrating communication. - give up online attempts, call, check and kill ALL existing app ID's (they count 5 on my son's account) and fill it over the phone - rather than appeal ("90 days"(c)) kill it and fill the new one over the phone carefully answering questions (mistakes happened to our apps: "not file taxes in 2014" and "checking eligibility through the employer" forever). You may rich the end in an hour instead of 90 days. - tricky question about "eligibility" for a plan from the employer or "even COBRA". Double check if the one u potentially have passes "affordable and minimum essential coverage" criteria (<9.5% of your income and matches ACA req's). If not - not eligible for employer/COBRA coverage. If yes - u r not eligible for credit/subsidy despite of income - don't expect to view this phone app online "in the next 24hrs/2-5bd...", never happens (for 3 separate apps in our family). Do not expect to find it by ID under "Find my existing application" link on your online account, never worked. - alternative: create a completely new account associated with other e-mail, kill all existing apps by phone, and if you pass online identity verification (a matter of luck, otherwise u will stuck here for unknown period) fill the new application. You have a chance to enroll in 10-15 mins. That's how we enrolled 2 out of 3. The next challenge is a payment. We've got stuck on this step: online option has screwed up, phone payment just never responds (~40 min. hold then auto-drop within last week), enrollment still not confirmed from selected insurer, neither mail nor e-mail.