Ongoing Software Fixes to Improve User Experience

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Last night, we added several dozen software fixes to the HealthCare.gov website, as we continue to make steady progress towards ensuring that the site works smoothly for the vast majority of users by the end of November. These fixes address key functions of the site:  improving user experience; improving the enrollment process; and improving the workflow for agents, brokers and call center representatives.

Here are a few examples of last night’s fixes in each category:

• First, to improve the user experience we’ve streamlined the site by removing potentially confusing screens and displays and adding helpful icons and calendar functions.
  • Second, to improve the enrollment process, several fixes focused on ensuring that information is correctly provided to  users as they navigate through the site, so that people can move more efficiently and effectively through the enrollment process, and can be assured that the input they provide to the system is displayed properly.
    We’ve also made changes to the summary and the review sections of the application so that information is displayed in a more user friendly manner. For example, records now show which coverage is being cancelled for a member—something particularly important to ensuring accuracy of 834 notices.
  • Third, to improve the workflow for agents, brokers and Call Center representatives, we undertook further improvements overnight to make it easier for them to work through the site.  For example, now Call Center representatives can get to Plan Compare without going through the entire application, again.  Additionally, Call Center representatives now no longer receive error messages when a search result does not return any records.

We experienced a 3 hour outage on the site on Wednesday afternoon, as well as a brief outage of 10 to 15 minutes Tuesday afternoon.  We understand how frustrating this is for users.  But it’s important to note that while HealthCare.gov is working better every day, there will be times when, like every website, it will not perform as it should. These were examples of those times. But in each instance, the team was able to fix the issue and get the system back online. Such occasional slowdowns and unscheduled outages may continue.

We expect to make further progress in resolving high priority issues in the coming days. We still have work to do, but as progress to date demonstrates, HealthCare.gov is getting better and improving performance and user experiences each week.  We will continue to make improvements, and we won’t stop working until every American who wants it gains access to new options for quality, affordable health coverage.

Comments

Submitted by jdf on
So how many fixes left to go and will it be done by Dec.1 ?
Submitted by Dan on
I'M FINALLY INSURED - sort of!!! I'm truly amazed in that personnel at the Marketplace's 1-800 number were finally able to process my 2nd of 3 applications over the phone moments ago, hence I'm now actually enrolled in a plan, after 5+ weeks of trying, often several times per day. So all of last nights fixes apparently did the trick for me. So don't give up, as just maybe their fixing bug 3xx will be just enough to get you through their system as well. Unfortunately, I still have to go through the payment process, with my insurer supposedly sending me a bill before 12/15. Not sure why we can't just give someone a credit card number over the phone like we do everyone else, as we all know that an insurance policy isn't in effect until payment has been received. So we'll see I guess, although I will definitely sleep better tonight, knowing that my patience & frustration have finally paid off, mostly. So thank you for all your hard work & dedication, which in the end just might work after all (ie. I truly had my doubts, as I saw lots of changes (almost daily), but still with little to show for personally, until this afternoon). So Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!!
Submitted by Robin on
Congratulations - sort of. I thought I was all set when I signed up for a plan also. That was October 14th and I am still stuck in a "black hole." Can't seem to get forwarded to the insurance company to get a policy and premium bill for payment. And I am losing coverage soon. All I get is promised to call me back in "2-5 days" and no one calls… Very disturbing. Not sleeping thinking about losing coverage with chronic health issues… Can't someone help us please?
Submitted by Kathy on
I have tried everything anyone has suggested. First I am hung up on verification (which has never been accomplished) then I was told to send in document to London, KY - four weeks and still have not heard. Told to set up another account with different user / password - now all I get is error msg. Error Id: 35f32c9e-eb83-4aec-b766-c8d8421404b0 Application Id: 156008967 2013-11-21 15:48:11 Nothing works! At least not for me. I am going to end up with no insurance because this fricking site DOES NOT WORK. They keep saying its improving - Really? Where? I have called countless times - no one seems to be able to help or know what they are doing.
If you were able to set up your account but now every time you try to login you get an error message, reset your password by clicking on the 'forgot your password' link. I saw a blog post by someone who was having that kind of problem and it worked for him. Delete your cookies first. One other thought, when you set up your new account did you use a new email address too?
Submitted by Gayla on
My name is entered twice in my application and I am only applying and enrolling in 1 plan for one person, myself. Therefore, when trying to enroll, my to do list has me accepting a plan 1 and plan 2 for myself and I can't get any further with the application process. It is stalled at the point. Please help. I have been on and off this website since Oct.1st.I definitly need help. I have called 1-800-318-2596 multiple times and they say someone else must contact meby phone, but they haven't??????
Start over by creating a new account with a new username, new password, and new email address. Delete your cookies and temporary internet files first. Then close and reopen your browser. This is working for people who started an application in Oct.
Submitted by Bill on
I got to the 'Additional Information' section- there is no way for me to indicate that I am an early retiree. Myself and my wife are currently on a retiree group plan from my former employer but there is no way to input this. I get to a screen that looks like it is trying to link up which employer is currently insuring us but it is jumbled up and makes no sense.
Sounds like you should either call them or sit down with a navigator or broker to help you through the enrollment process. You can find them for your state by going to localhelp.healthcare.gov.
Submitted by Mary Tesch on
My application has been accepted and I have chosen a plan but it wants me to pick 4 other plans. Lists me "Mary" choose your coverage 5 times. I have called & called, specialist has called back etc. I can not finish until they take the other 4 choose your coverages out. When will this be fixed!
I heard from a person today who was having the same problem as you with multiple instances of herself listed. This morning she created a new account with a new username, new password, and new email address and she completed her application and enrolled. Delete your cookies and temporary internet files before you create a new account.
Submitted by Virginia on
Yesterday I applied for insurance online at healthcare.gov. I was approved for premium tax credits. But I was NOT approved for Cost Sharing Reductions. Our family income is 184% FPL. We are supposed to get CSR's!!! Healthcare.gov said they haven't heard anything about this "glitch". How we do we get this on the "punch list" to be fixed? Has anyone else heard of this problem?
Submitted by Denny on
I have the same problem. Was promised twice I would get a call from the Advanced Resolution Center. Never got a call.
Submitted by Ann on
Just in case you aren't already aware of this (but if you're even aware of the little-known CSR part of ACA, you probably do know this too), the CSRs are oddly supposed to only apply if you're selecting a Silver-level plan. If you are already selecting a Silver plan, then yeah, this may be another bug.
did you choose a plan from the Silver categories?
Submitted by Calli on
Sorry, I'm still seeing a blank page for plans. Still wondering if I should start over with a new account.
That is working for people. Delete your cookies and temporary internet files first. And use a new username, new password, and new email address.
Submitted by Pat on
For some reason after I chose the plan I want, enroll & get a "congratulations you have enrolled" and there is the pay button-I click it, it then it goes to the plan(BCBS) outside link which gives me an access denied. OK, I go back on Healthcare.gov and it now says the plan is terminated and the plan is duplicated on my plans with initial enrollment status and that I have NOT finished the enrollment. Of course, BCBS has no record of me.....This has been happening since I started on Oct 17th. Hope this glitch is fixed soon. I really want this health care site to work!
Everybody I know that enrolled got a message that the insurer would contact them about payment. Did you try calling the phone reps and ask them about it? Be in front of your computer when you call so you can tell them exactly what you see on your screen.
Submitted by JEP on
STILL PENDING: So I completed my application on Oct. 8th and it's been in "pending" status ever since. My identity has been "under review" since that same date. I've uploaded documents to prove my ID at least 10 times without any response. I've called the 800 number probably 20 times and one time I even got to talk to a resolution specialist. Each time I get the same response, we're sorry, there's nothing we can do, please be patient and keep trying. Now, after more than six weeks of trying, your CR told me that there's a problem with the uploading verification feature on your website and that I should now "mail" my verification documents to the verification center, a process that can take up to 2 weeks. Well, why didn't you tell me that in the beginning? If there was a problem with my application why not tell me? Why are you making this so difficult? My current coverage is being cancelled at the end of the year and now it appears very likely that I will be unable to secure coverage before my current coverage ends. I still have not been able to view my eligibility results plan options or costs. Why don't you allow your CR's to actually help people obtain coverage, by helping to resolve issues, rather than just offering apologies? You claim you're making improvements, but other than not crashing as often, the website looks just like it did in the beginning. Does anyone there have any idea of how to run a website business or any business for that matter? Customer Service? Please?
Since you have an account from the beginning of Oct and are still having problems, start over by creating a new account, with a new username, new password, and new email address. Delete your cookies and temporary internet files first. Other people have done this and have been able to complete an application and enroll in a plan.
Submitted by Ellen on
I've mailed identity proof twice already about a month ago and nothing. Someone was supposed to call me, but no one did. I've called numerous times. I've gone on the chat many times. I am so frustrated.
Start over with a new account with a new username, new password, and new email address. Delete your cookies and temporary internet files. This is working for other people with the same problem you are having.
Submitted by Kenneth on
I'll sign up when Obama signs up. This is not a secure website to put personal information.
Submitted by JIT on
There isn't any information on this site that the government already doesn't have on you. They already know how much you make if you submit your taxes. They know your social, and other information about your status, and other information that they can get. If you believe it is not secure, explain how that is so you can be debunked on that as well. Comments like this by people like you are useless.