Ongoing Software Fixes to Improve User Experience

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Last night, we added several dozen software fixes to the HealthCare.gov website, as we continue to make steady progress towards ensuring that the site works smoothly for the vast majority of users by the end of November. These fixes address key functions of the site:  improving user experience; improving the enrollment process; and improving the workflow for agents, brokers and call center representatives.

Here are a few examples of last night’s fixes in each category:

• First, to improve the user experience we’ve streamlined the site by removing potentially confusing screens and displays and adding helpful icons and calendar functions.
  • Second, to improve the enrollment process, several fixes focused on ensuring that information is correctly provided to  users as they navigate through the site, so that people can move more efficiently and effectively through the enrollment process, and can be assured that the input they provide to the system is displayed properly.
    We’ve also made changes to the summary and the review sections of the application so that information is displayed in a more user friendly manner. For example, records now show which coverage is being cancelled for a member—something particularly important to ensuring accuracy of 834 notices.
  • Third, to improve the workflow for agents, brokers and Call Center representatives, we undertook further improvements overnight to make it easier for them to work through the site.  For example, now Call Center representatives can get to Plan Compare without going through the entire application, again.  Additionally, Call Center representatives now no longer receive error messages when a search result does not return any records.

We experienced a 3 hour outage on the site on Wednesday afternoon, as well as a brief outage of 10 to 15 minutes Tuesday afternoon.  We understand how frustrating this is for users.  But it’s important to note that while HealthCare.gov is working better every day, there will be times when, like every website, it will not perform as it should. These were examples of those times. But in each instance, the team was able to fix the issue and get the system back online. Such occasional slowdowns and unscheduled outages may continue.

We expect to make further progress in resolving high priority issues in the coming days. We still have work to do, but as progress to date demonstrates, HealthCare.gov is getting better and improving performance and user experiences each week.  We will continue to make improvements, and we won’t stop working until every American who wants it gains access to new options for quality, affordable health coverage.

Comments

Submitted by Rebecca on
Submitted by Frank Furter on
HA! Fix that error! It's only one of thousands of bugs, incomplete sections of code, typos & various crap. The fact that it can even show an error message is a miracle.
Submitted by ALLAN on
KEEP GETTING THIS ERROR: Sorry, an error has occurred. Please try again. If that doesn't work, log out. Error ID:500.000888
Submitted by Dan on
Great! a month later I still got the same error. It signed me out after the electronic signature.
Submitted by Vashti Bandy on
It is impossible to reach anyone or use this website to apply for insurance even though every news station has assured me these issues are fixed. The call line is also down, and I'm receiving this error: Error ID:500.000888 What's going on? Today's the last day here. Vash
Submitted by Sherice on
I have spent the past 4 hours trying to get through this website...same errors...please help!!
Submitted by Robert on
Why does no one know or want to tell me what this error is? Error ID 500.000888 ? I get it at different places during the application process, I have tried all the suggested fixes (ie, delete cache, remove application, start over, etc.) with no luck. How am I supposed to get insurance by the 23rd this way? Phoning puts you on hold for hours. Disgusted....
Submitted by Joe on
I spent all Friday and Saturday and it looks Sunday too, I am getting the same error. I keep removing the application and re-typing the information where tomorrow is the last day. I have talked to customer service for hours typing the information step by step, however, their help is limited due the application limitation and issues. HELP, HELP
Submitted by Steven on
Please I am trying to get this done and over with PLEASE FIX THIS SITE.
Submitted by timisoara on
Been getting the same message for months in Texas and it never goes away.. is there a resolution to this issue?
Submitted by Clayton on
I have the same problem. I had to re-answer the three security questions at the bottom, and then managed to change my phone number. When I went to add my address, the same errors, even though all the security questions were the same with the same answers. I actually WANT to get coverage by January 1st! But at this rate, I'll be lucky to have the online forms filled out. My identity hasn't been verified even though I spent half an hour on the phone with them and uploaded amy Driver's License and passport. I don't think I can get coverage if they don't have my address...
Submitted by Garth on
Almost 3 weeks later and this is still the case. The IRS sure as heck knows who I am, and the input info is the same. 2 days ago the online chat tech could not even get into the system. Long way to go here.....
Submitted by MICHAEL on
I have been getting this error for the last 3 weeks nonstop: Sorry, our system is temporarily down There's a problem. Try logging in again after 30 minutes. If you continue to get this message, call the Marketplace Call Center at 1-800-318-2596. TTY users should call 1-855-889-4325. You'll need the Error ID and Application ID shown below. Error Id: 500.000888
Submitted by Michael on
Same error for me. What flags this error? Is it because of too much traffic or is it because my identity really can't be verified? Why not give details. Any work-arounds?
Submitted by GEORGE on
PLEASE,PLEASE, PLEASE!!!!!!!! Fix this error message. I'm Begging you!!! I continue to get it an infinite amount of times!!!! I have been getting this error message for the last 3 weeks and I can not proceed with the purchasing of medical insurance.
Submitted by Billy on
Same thing with me. I've been try to submit an application for a month and every time I do I get the Error Id: 500.000888.
Submitted by Richard on
I filled out the application for coverage in late October and I am getting the same error ever since. When I called the call center, the only advice I got was to wait until it stops...pretty Ridiculous that I cant even see what plans are available for me.
Submitted by Sandra on
I am also getting this error every single time I log in and I really need to get my health insurance set up ASAP.
Submitted by Sharon on
This website is a joke.
December 2, after the supposed fixes to the site have been implemented. I'm still getting error ID 500.000888, along with the message "Sorry, theres (sic) a problem with our system." The problem even exists after I've waited for the website to tell me that it's okay to proceed. And, why do I need the error code when I call the 800 number. The girl who answered just says that that is a technical thing she cannot help me with.
Submitted by Thomas on
I, too, get this error. When I called on the 29th, the very nice customer service representative said that she is getting calls on this error code quite frequently. I explained to her that I had been trying to get past this issue since HEALTHCARE.Gov was launched., and that last week I called and was told that my issue had been elevated to a higher level of IT response and that I should get a return call soon. Did not happen. So this time I asked her to elevate my issue to her supervisor, and ask that supervisor to contact the IT supervisor to get this resolved. It's only been one day since I called. Let's see if this error message goes away and the problem gets fixed.
Submitted by Nicholas on
PLEASE,PLEASE, PLEASE!!!!!!!! Fix this error message. I'm Begging you!!! I continue to get it an infinite amount ot times!!!! See below: Sorry, our system is temporarily down There's a problem. Try logging in again after 30 minutes. If you continue to get this message, call the Marketplace Call Center at 1-800-318-2596. TTY users should call 1-855-889-4325. You'll need the Error ID and Application ID shown below. Error Id: 500.000888
Submitted by mohammad on
Submitted by Barbara on
I've been trying since day one, Verification temp unavailable? This is what I get everytime when if ever will it be fixed? Guess I will have to do it the old fashioned way? Will I make it ? I wonder? TY
Submitted by Carl on
I had been trying since Oct. 1st. By Oct. 6th I had created an account and began the application process; however, the system couldn't verify my id. I uploaded AND mailed copy of my ID to HHS by Oct. 8th, but I have yet to hear from anyone -- is it verified, do I need to send more information, what? BUT, at the suggestion of a local (Alabama) navigator, on Nov. 20th, I set up an additional email address and just started over with a new Healthcare.gov account and application. IT WORKED!!!!! I went straight through with no errors and within less than 20 minutes I had my eligibility letter and was shopping for plans!! So, I know this may not sound like to best way to get covered, but, hey, IT WORKED. Oh, and I did call the marketplace and told them they were free to delete my original account. Good luck, all!!