Ongoing Software Fixes to Improve User Experience

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Last night, we added several dozen software fixes to the HealthCare.gov website, as we continue to make steady progress towards ensuring that the site works smoothly for the vast majority of users by the end of November. These fixes address key functions of the site:  improving user experience; improving the enrollment process; and improving the workflow for agents, brokers and call center representatives.

Here are a few examples of last night’s fixes in each category:

• First, to improve the user experience we’ve streamlined the site by removing potentially confusing screens and displays and adding helpful icons and calendar functions.
  • Second, to improve the enrollment process, several fixes focused on ensuring that information is correctly provided to  users as they navigate through the site, so that people can move more efficiently and effectively through the enrollment process, and can be assured that the input they provide to the system is displayed properly.
    We’ve also made changes to the summary and the review sections of the application so that information is displayed in a more user friendly manner. For example, records now show which coverage is being cancelled for a member—something particularly important to ensuring accuracy of 834 notices.
  • Third, to improve the workflow for agents, brokers and Call Center representatives, we undertook further improvements overnight to make it easier for them to work through the site.  For example, now Call Center representatives can get to Plan Compare without going through the entire application, again.  Additionally, Call Center representatives now no longer receive error messages when a search result does not return any records.

We experienced a 3 hour outage on the site on Wednesday afternoon, as well as a brief outage of 10 to 15 minutes Tuesday afternoon.  We understand how frustrating this is for users.  But it’s important to note that while HealthCare.gov is working better every day, there will be times when, like every website, it will not perform as it should. These were examples of those times. But in each instance, the team was able to fix the issue and get the system back online. Such occasional slowdowns and unscheduled outages may continue.

We expect to make further progress in resolving high priority issues in the coming days. We still have work to do, but as progress to date demonstrates, HealthCare.gov is getting better and improving performance and user experiences each week.  We will continue to make improvements, and we won’t stop working until every American who wants it gains access to new options for quality, affordable health coverage.

Comments

Submitted by Keith Hall on
I have Vista 64bit and it does not work.. I have tried all of the options you have tried as well. I keep getting that error
Submitted by Mrs A on
I was all done, tried to confirm my coverage and I got the same error message. Called and waited online for 2 hours to find out this is the kiss of death error message and if you get it something is wrong with your application. I had to remove it and start again (at 1:00 am Sunday 12/22). Then got almost done with the new application and the system went down. I just tried my new application and I see the same error so think I screwed again. So pissed that these geniuses can't get this right. I love the bill but hate the incompetence of IT.
Submitted by Jeff on
500.300588... yep... been trying for the past few days.
Submitted by Char Char on
It finally worked! After a week of trying it finally confirmed. Now I just hope the insurance company gets the info!
Submitted by David berry on
I am enrolled on the site and am at the point of payment . I keep getting an error message of 500.300588 . Is this error happening to everyone
Submitted by Chloe on
Yes, this is happening to me too for about a week. They couldn't resolve it when I called the phone line. Told me that the issue was reported to IT dept, for my acct, and others.
Submitted by Char Char on
Has been happening to me for a week now...only 4 more days and then I guess there will be more people without insurance in January than there is today...not what I thought this law was supposed to accomplish.
Submitted by Maira on
Getting this error message and it's so frustrating!! Sorry, an error has occurred. Please try again. If that doesn't work, log out. Error ID:500.806 And just when I thought it was all fixed and going smoothly.
Submitted by Mike on
Yesterday after many unsuccessful attempts I was finally able to register and set up my tax credit. Today when I try to enroll I keep getting error code 500.806. Called customer service and said that they're working on the issue and that it would take at least 24 hours to resolve.
Submitted by Mauricio Handler on
Same Error message Error ID:500.300588 when trying to confirm the final step in the application. I have called 12 times and spoken to a dozen reps - nothing has been done. I am one step away but cannot confirm. I mention this so others know you are not alone! Best of luck to us all.
Submitted by Robert on
I can not finish signing out on final page. Error ID 500.300588 It takes me back to top of page. I need Aetna to get my info so I can pay them. I need coverage Jan. 1st. Is this being fixed? I have been trying for over a week. My application is complete.
Submitted by John on
I have an ongoing error (Error ID:500.300588) that has stopped me from completing my enrollment since Sunday, December 15th. I have been on chat, and on the phone, many, many times. Marketplace support is unable to help the situation, and has no idea regarding timing of fixes. I have removed and resubmitted my application three times; I have tried a new user ID; I have tried Internet Explorer, Chrome and Firefox; I have cleared browser cache & history with each browser; I have disabled all popup blockers. Nothing makes any difference. The Marketplace reps reviewing my application get the same error as I do. My insurance broker (HSA America) gets the same error I do. I am stuck at the "Review & Confirm" step, and see no alternative to complete my enrollment. Please, somebody, help. My application is ID#: 178410217. My email address is jmichna@jamadots.com. Thank you.
Submitted by John on
Error ID:500.300588 I am at the very last step where I confirm the plan. https://www.healthcare.gov/marketplace/auth/DE/en_US/planCompare?a=[marketplaceid]#planConfirm I cannot continue due to this error. I tried unselecting and reselecting my plan, I don't want to have to delete my application again.
Submitted by Char Char on
Have been stuck for a week trying to finalize enrollment. Plan has been selected and after I check the approval boxes I get Error ID:500.300583. Even got up at 4:30am CST to try and still got the error. If not able to enroll by next week I will not have insurance Jan 1 because the PCIP Plan is being discontinued.
Submitted by Celina on
I am having the same problem. I have been on hold for 53 minutes waiting to talk to someone in customer service. I am beyond aggrivated with the situation.
Submitted by Jennifer on
Also getting Error ID:500.806 when I try to set up my tax credit.
Submitted by Melissa on
I've been trying since October to register & was only recently able to apply for coverage. Now when trying to confirm my plan I get error ID:500.300588. Live chat doesn't help & the call center just goes to the crap website, where they encounter the same issue. How the hell am I supposed to meet this December 23rd deadline if none of their shit works?
Submitted by Debbie on
Exacty the same problem. Any information on what will happen to those of us who couldn't get signed up due to this technical glitch?
Submitted by Sue on
Error ID:500.300520 I can not get past this error and neither can the phone center help. This means I can't even get in to see what plans are available to me. I have wasted 2 months of my life so far trying to complete this process.
Error ID:500.300520 what is this any solutions so far??
Submitted by Kevin on
Must be missing information such as social security number or if you have a permanent residential card you need to put your Alien number and card number in in order to view the plans.
Any luck? That's where I am
Submitted by Santana Peck on
How do I get pass this error to select plans.
Submitted by kim on
I know the feeling. I've wasted 3 months of mine. This one is just the newest error to get past.
Submitted by CEN on
IT is ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE. I have wasted so much time setting up my Application as it would not accept the information and now that it is set up I cannot finalize Enrollment because I have the same error id: 500.300520 and cannot get past it. I have been working on it all day 12/22/13 and cannot get in finalized...