Progress Over the Weekend

Monday, November 18, 2013

Over the past few weeks, we’ve made measurable progress to improve HealthCare.gov, addressing both software glitches and hardware upgrades–all of which will make a meaningful difference in the consumer experience.

I’m pleased to say that, as of today, we’ve cleared more items from our punch list that will have a direct, positive impact on consumers using the site. The pace and quality of execution on bug fixes and hardware upgrades intensified when QSSI came in as general contractor and thanks to their management and coordination with CMS leadership and our other contractors we made progress over the weekend implementing important fixes.

Nearly half of the fixes resolved issues specifically related to issues within the application and another set of fixes focused on improving Plan Compare shopping functionality.

Some of the most consumer-facing examples of improvements are:

• Issues that were preventing some users from proceeding through the income information of the online application have been fixed.
  • Users can now select “weekly,” for the frequency they receive unemployment benefits.

In the Plan Compare shopping:

• When consumers choose a Catastrophic coverage plan, the available dental coverage for that plan now appears properly.
  • When users save plan information in the Plan Compare section, those results now display correctly.

In addition to these software fixes that significantly improve the user experience, we also increased system capacity. This upgrade is part of an ongoing hardware improvement process that will help keep the system stable with growing volume, improving overall system performance.

We have a lot more work to do but as this work to date demonstrates, HealthCare.gov is getting better and improving performance and user experiences each week.  We will continue to make improvements and we won’t stop working until every American who wants it gains access to new options for quality, affordable health coverage.

Comments

Submitted by ed on
I can't change my password online. The system won't let me and I have to call the help desk, which after reading the comments I am not wanting to do. Why can't the system just let me click the link from the email it sent me and let me change it? Most every other web site lets you do that.
Not everybody is having bad results calling the help desk. Having been on the helpdesk side myself it isn't always easy to understand what a person is asking especially when they are frustrated by a bad experience with an application. It takes patience on both parts to figure out what the problem is .And it is always best to be in front of you computer so you can describe exactly what you see on your screen, what you are trying to click on, what you are trying to do. Asking to change a password is straightforward. It should go smoothly.
Submitted by Elizabeth on
More than one government contract with CMS resulted in sub-par work, so why were they chosen for this major undertaking of President Obama's ACA? If I didn't know any better, I'd suspect an inside job saboteur who works for the other side. Either that, or CMS is an incompetent vendor who managed to fool whomever hired them. The HHS failed the President big time!!
Submitted by Jessica on
They were chosen because a guy at CMS is a friend of Michelle Obama's. In the end, it all comes down to $ in their pockets.
Submitted by Sarah on
I don't know what you guys did on Monday but I logged into my account today and nearly died of shock. Suddenly, all the links are working. I can now review my application details and my eligibility results (again) and determine what supporting documentation I need to prove my income. (By the way, the eligibility results should be more clear as to what documentation will need to be provided instead of just giving vague hints and telling you to ask the call center or live chat.) I was even able to view my plans and imagine my surprise when I discovered the plan with the lowest premium was only $82/month (NOT including the tax credit) and that after I pay off the $6300 deductible the plan would cover 100% of almost every service offered in network. So, thank you!
Submitted by eric on
well i cvan finally pick my state but now i cannot move past the get started page, ave now tried to register twice a day for 4 weeks,,,i did register in a stet i dn't live in though go figure
Delete your cookies and temporary internet files. Close your browser and then reopen. Then go back to the home page and click "Apply Online" and then select your state again.
Submitted by Veronica on
I have to express great disappointment with this website. It was hard to sign on at first. Then it was hard to finish applications because they kept starting over or things were unavailable. Chat and calling were useless, with the same tired answers. Now, I cannot sign in at all, and it's interesting that 106 thousand people happened to be able to do this, while at this point, I'm not even allowed in to finish what I started. I have no healthcare, and at this rate will miss the deadline and be charged for it. That part I do not understand. If I cannot get the help, how are you going to charge me for it? I have Bronchitis and flare ups are self medicated at this time, because I can't even afford the medicine prescribed at the wellness center. At this rate, I could DIE unless I find a job quickly enough and get on THAT healthcare fast enough. This was my ticket to wellness, and each moment you guys claim it's working, I believe you and it's NOT. The sign in page just refreshes itself and I keep trying to sign in. I KNOW that's the right info, because I tested it with incorrect info just to see. You need to fix this. You need to work on coding and set your servers up tot take on so many people without an excess of errors that kick out or deny the other millions of us trying to sign in. This was poorly thought out, and if this were the case, then you should have set up a scheduled sign up for particular households, or SOMETHING where the system wouldn't overload and keep all of us in the dark. We're just trying to get well and get insured. We're doing exactly as we're told, and coming up with no results whatsoever. So what is this "progress" you speak of?
Click on the "forgot your password" link to see if you get a system email. If you do then your account is being recognized. You might be having trouble logging on because the system has already reached it's limit of 20,000-30,000 people using it at the same time during the time period you are trying. I read they are working to increase that this week. The best times are early in the morning or mid-afternoon. You can also try deleting your cookies and temporary internet files before you try again. If you use IE make sure you set browsing history from "automatic" to "check for newer versions of stored pages every time I visit the webpage" (you do that at the same place you delete the temporary internet files except instead of the delete button you click on the settings button).
Submitted by Tanya on
I was able to complete the application process but I still can't enroll I've tried everyday since the application was complete on the 14 of this month and I still can't enroll. When will this problem be fixed ? I would like to enroll before the dead line.
What are you stuck on? Are you clicking on "Resume Enrollment" and it's not working? Are you clicking on the green "Set" button on the "Enroll To-Do List" page but it won't let you enroll? The red banner at the top of the page makes you think something is wrong and you can't continue but that is just a reminder message. You can still select your subsidy credit and click on the "Set" button. Call the phone reps see your application and help you finish it?
Submitted by Michelle on
Finally got through the application, but am waiting on identity verification. Does anyone know how long that takes? Has anyone been successful through the "Live Chat"? I can't even access that.
Submitted by Diane on
Application online gets stuck as soon as I mention that my daughter is a college student. This has been the case for several weeks.
Submitted by Barbara on
Got enrolled Oct. 7 on the phone. I got a number and was told I would hear something. I have not received or heard anything. When I call they say it is pending. What am I suppose to do now?
Can they tell you what is pending? Are they waiting for some kind of verification? Are they waiting to know what plan you want before they can enroll you? Did they tell you that you are eligible? If you don't know what plan you want you can go to valuepenguin.com and see and compare plans now. The site has plan details like deductibles, copays, etc. You can decide what plan you want so you can tell them that when you call.
Submitted by Judy on
Hello. I am from Indiana...my luck. I tried to sign up this evening. This is the first time I have returned to the site since the first week of the roll out. The application process would not allow me to advance beyond the initial password, User name, etc page. It said that the application could not be processed and to try again. I am sorry....but User name, E mail, and Password are too many entries to ask of an applicant. E mail address and Password should be sufficient...it would seem. User name is unnecessary. this may be the glitch in my application as I do not remember the user name and so, it is kicking me out for an incorrect entry. I chose the " forgot my password" option, but for that, you still needed a "user name" which I did not know...as the first time, I tried many times to get on and I think used several different of each option to just get on....none of which was successful...so, I am stuck now... Thanks...and hopefully, you can advance the repairs past the initial pages?
This is cause by one of the many glitches in our systems. The only thing you can do is try back every day, or every other day. Sadly, there is nothing we can do to speed up the process, as we are waiting for fixes by our tech team.
Submitted by Mary on
I have completed application, been approved for subsidy, have picked an insurance plan - one without dental. System will not accept my answer of NO I DO NOT WANT TO SEE DENTAL PLANS. The live chat option refers me to the toll free phone number, a person attempts to help but gives me standard answer to try again during off peak traffic time. I've done that twice it still refuses my answer. I asked person to verify my information which she did and system frozen on her too - this was at 8 a.m.. It is now 9 pm and I have tried again - system still refuses my answer and will not let me move forward. Urgh!
When you get to that section, try clearing your cookies from healthcare.gov at that point. That worked for another person. But I've also heard from one that a phone rep was able to get around it and finish his enrollment. I did hear the site was up and down yesterday. If the system froze on the phone rep that's probably why.. Hopefully it's better today.
Submitted by Rosemary on
List the states with their own exchanges and the name of their exchanges. Alaska has a false website (www.knowthefactsalaska.gov) that needs to be noted on the front page so people can be aware not to use these false websites.
Submitted by John on
Image how much better we could be if all states managed their own healthcare exchanges? Most states that decided to do their own exchange are doing just fine.
Submitted by Nancy on
I have been trying to complete this application for quite sometime but it still freezes on the same question and I can't continue. Everyday I check and everyday it is the same problem. If this problem continues , please don't count it against us for not having a health insurance by march 2014.
What is working for people who started an application in Oct. is to create a new account with a new username, new password, and new email address and start over. Delete cookies and temporary internet files first.
Submitted by Patti on
My application has been in process since early October. Will I ever find out if I am eligible and what my costs will be?
Accounts from Oct got corrupted. The only thing you can do at this point is create a new account with a new username, new password, and new email address and start over. Delete cookies and temporary internet files first. There is no way to fix corrupted accounts. People who have done this have been successful in enrolling.