Progress Over the Weekend

Monday, November 18, 2013

Over the past few weeks, we’ve made measurable progress to improve HealthCare.gov, addressing both software glitches and hardware upgrades–all of which will make a meaningful difference in the consumer experience.

I’m pleased to say that, as of today, we’ve cleared more items from our punch list that will have a direct, positive impact on consumers using the site. The pace and quality of execution on bug fixes and hardware upgrades intensified when QSSI came in as general contractor and thanks to their management and coordination with CMS leadership and our other contractors we made progress over the weekend implementing important fixes.

Nearly half of the fixes resolved issues specifically related to issues within the application and another set of fixes focused on improving Plan Compare shopping functionality.

Some of the most consumer-facing examples of improvements are:

• Issues that were preventing some users from proceeding through the income information of the online application have been fixed.
  • Users can now select “weekly,” for the frequency they receive unemployment benefits.

In the Plan Compare shopping:

• When consumers choose a Catastrophic coverage plan, the available dental coverage for that plan now appears properly.
  • When users save plan information in the Plan Compare section, those results now display correctly.

In addition to these software fixes that significantly improve the user experience, we also increased system capacity. This upgrade is part of an ongoing hardware improvement process that will help keep the system stable with growing volume, improving overall system performance.

We have a lot more work to do but as this work to date demonstrates, HealthCare.gov is getting better and improving performance and user experiences each week.  We will continue to make improvements and we won’t stop working until every American who wants it gains access to new options for quality, affordable health coverage.

Comments

Submitted by Shelley on
Excellent advice, because that's what I did. I had an account before the healthcare exchange went live, when they allowed us to create accounts early. Unfortunately, I created a username that didn't match the new guidelines. It seemed like my site was stuck in validation stage forever. So I just abandoned it, used a different email, and was able to create an account, validate identity, determine which plan I wanted, and sign up--all in less than an hour. To me, this is the best course for early signees who seem to be stuck.
Submitted by Helen on
Doing this worked for me. Received letter today confirming my new insurance. What a relief!
Submitted by Brenda on
I am unable to log on. Have selected changes to cookies with no success.
Submitted by jill on
I cant get past the accept terms and conditions. I created my account a week ago. We shouldnt have to be recreating accounts and logins multiple times. And yes, I reset all the items on the fix list prior to creating the account. Seems that the site needs to be compatible to everyones computer and not the other way around. Maybe the problem is with the website and not the large percentage of people's computers. Grrr!
There really isn't any way to create a site that is compatible to everyone's computer because people have different applications on them that can interfere and use all kinds of add-ons and plug-ins on their browsers that can interfere. Browser settings can interfere too. Cookies get corrupted and temporary internet files may be storing an outdated page. And if plug-ins like Java aren't up to date that can also cause problems. The best you can do is try to troubleshoot the problems as they occur. Not everybody is getting good customer support help to do that and that is very unfortunate and extremely frustrating. I used to do customer support for a software company and that's why I'm trying to help out here. I know how exasperating it is for people. It's hard to help though when you don't know know exactly what people are seeing on their screen or what the error message they get says or what screen they are on. I'm in a state that has it's own exchange so I can't login to the federal one and have only seen screenshots from people that I've helped get through it. I haven't run into your problem with anybody else so I don't know what you need to do on the terms and conditions page. I assume it's a selection of some kind that is not being saved. When that kind of thing happens it could be a problem with the cookies. Try by deleting cookies and temporary internet files before you login and see if that resolves the problem. If you're using IE, make sure the browsing history setting is set to "check for newer versions of stored pages every time I visit the webpage". It's at the same place that you delete temporary internet files except you select the "settings" button next to the "delete" button. Also make sure your java plug-in is up to date. Not saving information was a problem for people who created accounts in Oct because of all of the system problems that corrupted their account but if yours is new last week I wouldn't think it's the same reason.
Submitted by Aly on
I don't buy that there isn't a way to create a site that is compatible to everyone's computer...we all use google, Amazon, yahoo, zillow, other insurance websites and don't have these issues. What happens is that when you fill in your personal information, you see a screen that tells you to wait and then after ten minutes it tells you that you can't be connected. When you back up to the page you came from, all of the information you spent 10 minutes filling in is gone. I did it 3 times before giving up. This was during the first week. Now I just see that the site is down without wasting any time, thank you. On Oct. 31 it was understandable that a million citizens was too many for one website but by now this should be usable. Each state can have a separate website. Something can be done. There's something more than meets the eye going on because I know better what is possible. If you want the people to have real information instead of bashing the President and the website then they need to be able to get quotes for insurance. Frankly, I'm tired of defending it against the haters.
I do understand your frustration but just because you personally haven't experienced problems on other websites doesn't mean others haven't. All you have to do is google problem logging into (whatever) and you see people with problems. That said, if you created an account the first week then I'd recommend you create a new account with a new username, new password, and new email address. Delete you cookies and temporary internet files first. Oct accounts got corrupted so it's best to start completely over at this point. .
If you can't log on to a previous account then create a new account with a new username, new password, and new email address. Before you do delete your cookies and temporary internet files, close your browser and then reopen. And use Internet Explorer, Chrome, or Safari. Close all other applications.
Submitted by ed on
For those of use who are not internet superuser getting a new email and deleting cookies and internet files may be difficult, I have no problem using amazon, google, yahoo with my current settings and computer. Should your website not allow those of us who just log in and browes, with that being the extent of our computer experience, access without spending 2 days on the phone trying to get our computer setup for your website?
Submitted by James Wimberley on
You are quite right, it should work that way - but it doesn't. So live with it or do without health insurance. It's easy enough to get a new email address from gmail, yahoo, or hotmail. You don't have to use it for anything else afterwards. On the cookies etc, follow the advice here: https://www.healthcare.gov/blog/3-tips-to-remember-when-you-create-a-marketplace-account/ An alternative is to download a free housekeeping utility like CCleaner and let it do the work. It may be annoying to lose your browsing history - the cookies will be reinstalled every time you connect to a site that requires them. The way round this is to set up a new user on your computer (Windows Control Panel > User Accounts, in my ancient Windows XP). The account should start with a new copy of your browser without a history. Keep it sterile. Don't add any plugins that healthgov,com does not require.
Submitted by jill on
Thanks but no thanks. Im not creating another email account, just another piece of personal information to be tracked by. Good luck to those who need the health insurance.
Submitted by eric on
did you stop dating too after your first poor relation ship experianc tooo
Submitted by Nancy on
You are right why should we create a new account and have our personal information out there all over again. They need to fix problems now.
Submitted by James Wimberley on
Please think again, Jill. The new email account you create need not be used outside healthgov.com and your chosen insurer. When you have signed up, you can tell the insurer to use your old email and delete the temporary one.
Submitted by Joe on
Yeah, I do that all the time with Amazon; each time I try to buy something, I create a new email to use and then tell them after to use my old one. Pretty stupid comment James! This site is so amazingly inept words can't even describe it. Epic fail all around.
Submitted by James Wimberley on
Please think again Jill. You will be creating an email account that will only be used by this site and your insurer. After you have signed up with an insurer you can just change the email address back and deleted the temporary one. From Big Brother's point of view, multiple email accounts make surveillance of their owner harder, not easier.