Progress Over the Weekend

Monday, November 18, 2013

Over the past few weeks, we’ve made measurable progress to improve HealthCare.gov, addressing both software glitches and hardware upgrades–all of which will make a meaningful difference in the consumer experience.

I’m pleased to say that, as of today, we’ve cleared more items from our punch list that will have a direct, positive impact on consumers using the site. The pace and quality of execution on bug fixes and hardware upgrades intensified when QSSI came in as general contractor and thanks to their management and coordination with CMS leadership and our other contractors we made progress over the weekend implementing important fixes.

Nearly half of the fixes resolved issues specifically related to issues within the application and another set of fixes focused on improving Plan Compare shopping functionality.

Some of the most consumer-facing examples of improvements are:

• Issues that were preventing some users from proceeding through the income information of the online application have been fixed.
  • Users can now select “weekly,” for the frequency they receive unemployment benefits.

In the Plan Compare shopping:

• When consumers choose a Catastrophic coverage plan, the available dental coverage for that plan now appears properly.
  • When users save plan information in the Plan Compare section, those results now display correctly.

In addition to these software fixes that significantly improve the user experience, we also increased system capacity. This upgrade is part of an ongoing hardware improvement process that will help keep the system stable with growing volume, improving overall system performance.

We have a lot more work to do but as this work to date demonstrates, HealthCare.gov is getting better and improving performance and user experiences each week.  We will continue to make improvements and we won’t stop working until every American who wants it gains access to new options for quality, affordable health coverage.

Comments

Submitted by Kristyn on
I have not been able to log on today. I deleted my history, cleared my caches, restored my computer, deleted my cookies, called to have my password reset and every time I try to log on it goes back to the log on page and does not say error. but if i purposely mis type my password (the one that was given) it says error. so I know the system knows it's the right password just won't let me go any further. Hope this comment helps some in trying to figure out more bugs to fix!
Only 20,000 -30,000 people at the same time can login in. Perhaps that's what's preventing you. It would be nice if there was some kind of message to try again later.
Submitted by Frustrated on
Healthcare.gov should give users the option to DELETE their application, because I haven't been able to do nothing for over a month and a half! I'm stuck in endless loop that doesn't advance my enrollment. The website looks the same to me. Nothing has changed.
Submitted by Theresa Britton on
I use Windows 8 and it appears that the adobe form you have is not compatible and cannot be sent electronically/online. Perhaps you already know this though. Where do I send the printed form? For what it's worth, I work in healthcare and believe you need to explain to the public what plans may be available in their states before they complete applications. Based on what I have heard, I believe this is a lot of what is making people worry. They are completing an application and don't know what they are purchasing (so to speak). That would be like filling in an application to buy furniture before they knew what the store has available or how much they need to finance to get what they want.
Submitted by Bonnie on
I have completed the application on Oct. 3 and have been at the "view eligibility results" since. When I click the view eligibility results button, I receive an HTTP 400 error. I hope that you will fix this problem soon so I can finish and obtain insurance.
Instead of clicking on the button, click on the "Eligibility and appeals" link that's on the left hand side of the page that tells you your enrollment is incomplete.
Submitted by joyce on
u havent improved to the point that i can get any results from u people. i sent in a paper application on oct.29 and i have called u several times.i was told u received my application and that i would get my results in the mail,but i havent got anything yet i am very angry and frustrated with this! i have health problems and i need insurance promisesd to me by president obama. please send me my results soon.i want to know im signed up and have this insurance by jan.1 2014. thank you,joyce m. tate
Submitted by Anthony Miller on
What are you doing to keep GOP supporters from sabotaging the website with viruses or programs that may keep people from enrolling?
Before posting in the future, please make sure you understand what you are talking about. There is no way to put a virus on a website, it doesn't work like that. The only way people could affect the site is by a DDOS attack, which is plausible, but unlikely. It would take a very large group of people who knew what they were doing to take the site down. A group such as Anonymous could easily do this, but they haven't shown much interest in doing this. Please do some reasearch and understand what you are saying before posting. A computer can get a virus, a website cannot.
Submitted by Chase on
When I am in the income verification section of the application process and try to click the "Save and Continue" button, nothing happens. I've adjusted my pop-up blocker settings and tried various browsers all with the same results.
Submitted by Anthony Miller on
I certainly appreciate the hard work and notices the dramatic improvements with the website. Thanks to everyone!!!
Submitted by Robert on
When I get to household information does dependent go to school full time and does parent live in same state that dependant goes to school, it freezes up and will not go any further. I have tried 12 or more times at different times of day and night with no luck, please help I would love to buy some insurance, mine is running out, HELP.
If you have an account that freezes up, create a new account with a new username, new password, and new email address and start a new application. Delete your cookies and temporary internet files first. Use Internet Explorer, Chrome, or Safari browsers. Make sure you don't have any ad or script blocking running. Close all other applications.
Submitted by Joel on
Julie, I am a supporter of ACA and I want this all to work. The fact that this communication from you contains silly grammar and diction mistakes ("Nearly half of the fixes resolved issues specifically related to issues") makes one wonder if you are proceding with all the necessary care and attention to detail in other areas. Please make sure what you write and post is totally clear, logical, and understandable. It's a matter of image and building confidence but also perhaps of substance. And good luck.
I find it quite amusing that you are trying to call this Julie out for essentailly being incompetent, yet you can't even seem to use the reply feature. If you want to belittle someone, might want to make sure you're not making an ass out of yourself in the process!
Submitted by Valerie on
So far, as of today I still am not able to access my account online. I redid it again today by phone, this makes 3 times I've created an account...still getting nowhere. Very frustrating.
If you applied by phone and are waiting to get information about plans you can go to valuepenguin.com to view plans. After you narrow down to the ones you're interested in then you can get more details either by going to the insurers website or calling the phone rep back. You'll have to call phone rep to chose a plan and enroll once you apply by phone.
Submitted by Paula on
Valerie I do agree with you. It is very frustrating!
Submitted by Steve on
I have tried about 50 times and on six different computers. I alwasy end up after reloadin my info that the system is down. What do I do
There wasn't any unplanned downtime during the last week. It is down every night between 1:00 am and 5:00 am EST. If you keep getting that message during other times of the day then make sure you first delete your cookies and temporary internet files. If you use Internet Explorer makes sure your browsing history setting is changed from "automatic" to "check for newer versions of stored pages every time I visit the webpage" (you do that at the same place you delete temporary internet files by selecting "settings" next to the "delete" button). If you're still having trouble go to your nearest Walgreens or CVS pharmacy, they are helping people enroll.
Submitted by Christine on
I have been in the individual insurance market for most of the last 15 years. During that time I've paid $500/mo or more for pretty lousy insurance that often didn't cover prescriptions (got them from Canada on-line), skipped my annual physicals and found other ways to cut costs. Two years ago I became ill and lost my insurance at the same time, and was able to choose from only two policies from Blue Care Network of Michigan for coverage. I need insurance for only 5 months, as I will be eligible for Medicare in May 2014. My current insurance will be cancelled on December 31st, and my application is stuck while my subsidy eligibility is being verified. Here's an idea: allow people who are eligible for Medicare in 2014 to enroll early. That would get us older, sicker people out of the exchange, a win for the government and a win for us. Pass this on to the President :)
are you having trouble finding the subsidy eligibility document online? Did you get the email to check for your eligibility? If you didn't get the email try checking your spam folder.
Submitted by jdf on
Would be very interesting to know how many fixes have been made and how many left to go. Of course who would believe anything they say.
Submitted by Trish on
I have been trying to get coverage for the past three weeks. I've tried online, calling, online help chat. NOTHING. I cannot get through. This is TERRIBLE.
I'm not sure what you mean you cannot get through but I've heard people say that afternoon is better. I read they can handle 20,000 - 30,000 people at the same time and that they are working on increasing that this week. You could also try going to your nearest Walgreens or CVS pharmacy because they are helping to enroll people.