HealthCare.gov: A Progress Update

Saturday, November 9, 2013

Three weeks ago, we announced a technology surge as part of our commitment to fix Healthcare.Gov. Yesterday, entrepreneur and management expert Jeff Zients said this about the status of our efforts:

“We’re making good progress on the punch list overall.  We’re constantly tiering the list to make sure that the most important issues are at the top and we are making progress across those priority areas.

I want to emphasize, however, like any website, there are new issues that crop up and you’re continually improving.  So we’ll be getting better each week in the month of November and we’ll continue to do so in December, January, February, just like you do with any website.”

As Jeff has said, HealthCare.gov is fixable and we are on a path to do just that so by the end of November, it will be working smoothly for the vast majority of users.

To help you understand some of the steps we’ve taken to improve the site over the last three weeks, we wanted to highlight the major fixes we've put into place:

• We brought in management expert Jeff Zients to help lead the surge. We also named QSSI as the general contractor and brought in additional staff from each of our contractors.
  • We structured 4 core teams to fix and monitor software and infrastructure issues in real-time.
  • We’ve doubled the number of servers and enhanced system redundancy, improving site architecture and increasing capacity to better meet the high consumer demand and site traffic.
  • The account registration process was completely overhauled. We can now handle nearly 17,000 potential account registrants per hour.
  • Robust performance testing was implemented to identify fixes for our punch list—prioritizing those that have the most impact on the consumer experience.
  • A virtual database was replaced by a high capacity physical database to improve system efficiency.
  • We reduced the error rate -- the frequency, on a per page basis, of system time outs or failures that prevented the user from advancing from 6% to 2%.

While we’re still not where we want to be with HealthCare.gov, the site is getting better each week.

Millions of Americans are already seeing benefits from the Affordable Care Act. As we continue to improve the site, more and more Americans are finishing their applications through the site. Here are some of their stories:

• Deborah L in New Hampshire, is saving hundreds of dollars a month for better coverage, despite having a pre-existing condition.
  • Lissie S of Atlanta site exit disclaimer is saving 50% on both her deductible and premium.
  • Daniel, a 22 year old Floridian, is thrilled to get coverage at just $70 a month.
  • A family in Utah site exit disclaimer is getting coverage for $123 a month.
  • Folks from Chicago site exit disclaimer to Philadelphia site exit disclaimer are still excited to get covered.

To read more stories about Americans benefiting from the Affordable Care Act, visit hhs.gov/HealthCare.

Comments

Submitted by Judith on
Been trying to complete this process since Oct 1st. Processed an application on the phone which has been processed and completed since 10/8/13. Processed an account just recently on Healthcare.gov. However it has been a month and still have not received my government eligibility. Has anyone out there received this?
Submitted by Tom on
When can I appeal a decision "online"... I read it will be available 11/15, but I cannot find it again... Is this true?
Submitted by Michael on
I started 10/10 with my original application. I have never been able to access after that. Every time I try to complete the application it states " review your application, issues with your application must be resolved". Over and over and over. Cannot get access. Its a never ending story.
Submitted by Jenni on
Call the 800 number for assistance.
Submitted by Buddy on
The site consistently tells me my app is "in progress" and when I click to view my application, it says it is "incomplete", asks me the questions all over again and never saves the info. so that by the end it thinks no one is applying for insurance.
Submitted by Ditto on
The same happens to me on the 3rd or 4th account I've created. Previous account put me in Identity verification in progress, after I uploaded my driver's license (that was at least a month ago). I can no longer sign-in to the first account I created on Oct. 1.
Submitted by sam, atlanta on
Buddy, I'm having exactly the same kind of problem....
Submitted by Brian on
I used to be able to login to the Healthcare Marketplace. I haven't been able to since Nov. 2, which is around the time the government said the fixes were being made to healthcare.gov. Everytime I input my login information and click login, the page refreshes and deletes my information and I can't proceed. It seems we are working backwards instead of forwards here and I give up on healthcare.gov. I am also currently applying for Medicaid and if I get denied for that, I'll pay the penalty because this is BS, no ifs ands or buts about that.
Submitted by A C on
A few additional suggestions for you; 1. Web enable the paper application so anyone that needs to use it can type the information in and print it out rather than print it and hand write the information in. The IRS already has this feature for tax forms. 2. Congratulations on getting capacity up to 17,000 applications an hour! A big accomplishment. You should probably consider quintupling that capacity as you approach January with a goal of a ten-fold increase by March 2014. The late adopters can overwhelm the system again just as the early adopters did in October. 3. Make the shopping experience easier. Kaiser has programming for you to imbed their subsidy calculator directly on to healthcare.gov. Oregon has the experience set up as 1 page look linking the plans by income and zip code/county prior to going behind their firewall. 3. Also, no where on the site do you have the chart about the premium and out-of-pocket limits by income. This is a very important talking point and should be highlighted, particularly in light of premium cancellations and pricing concerns. A few thoughts for you all as you work through the problems. Much continued success with the fixes
Submitted by BinG on
I tried to input 5 people family application, but when it goes to More About This House Hold, after finishing if a Full Time Student, regardless whatever I chose, the "Save and Continue" button does not work. I have tried 5 times from this afternoon, every time you log in and you need go through every step of each family member information, you need retype the social security number, and rechoose some information options, each time it took about 40 minutes to reach the "More About This Household", then found it again does not work. Called help desk, and told it may be too much traffic, need wait off peak hours, now it is 10:36pm CT, I tried again, it still does not work. I did this last week, it went through, it just now does not work. I agree, someone shall open a ticket for this, you can not let thousands of people try at different time and found out it still not working.