Making the Enrollment Process Easier

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

We continue to make measurable progress to improve HealthCare.gov, and to clear items from our punch list that will have a positive impact on consumers applying for and enrolling in quality health coverage.

As of this morning, we’ve completed fixes for two-thirds of the high priority bugs that our tech team working with issuers identified as being responsible for the issues with 834s transactions and Direct Enrollment.

For example:

• We’ve undertaken a fix that ensures a user can select the appropriate relationship to a dependent, such as mother, father or step-parent.
  • Additionally, when a user checks family eligibility, the system now returns the primary tax filer as the primary applicant.

Other fixes that went in last night enhance the user experience by improving the Plan Compare function on Healthcare.gov.

For example:

• We’ve improved the filter for the “annual deductible” section so that it properly shows the minimum and maximum plan deductibles for the plans the user is considering.
  • And we improved the user interface for when users click on the “Details” button of their selected plan.

We expect to make further progress in resolving high priority issues in the coming days, and we know that the work we’ve done will help consumers and issuers complete enrollments accurately and efficiently.

When we talk about enrollment, I want to remind consumers that one way to enroll is by going online directly to Healthcare.gov, but alternative pathways are available – by phone, in person with an assister, and by paper application.

For those who are not subsidy eligible, another way to enroll outside the Marketplace is to work exclusively through an insurer’s website, and never be connected to HealthCare.gov or the Hub.  A calculation of subsidies would need to be reconciled and secured through the Hub.

We continue to work with issuers to improve our system and leverage more ways for consumers to enroll in quality affordable coverage.

Comments

If you don't know what to do next call the 800 number. Be in front of your computer and login so they can help walk you through the steps.
I have suggestion let us delete application without creating a new account. I refuse to create a new account to actually be able to go through this process of getting health insurance. My situation I am stuck until the website is fixed that is what the call center told me. I cannot view my notices or eligibility results. I tried everything “live chat “and the call center told me to do and nothing works.
Submitted by Dan on
It's been 31 days and counting now, since I submitted my 1st application, followed by 2nd one last week, followed by a 3rd one this week, all with different ID's & passwords & email addresses, hoping & praying that one of those fixed bugs would get me to the promised land, and I still have zero progress to show for. From what I can gather, the Marketplace remains a work in progress, with Dec. 1st seemingly being the new target date, at which time it's thought that many of us will finally be able to move forward. The reality being that our submitting more & more applications is not the answer, as we're seemingly only worsening the situation (my opinion). Yes, I want to move forward as much as anyone does here, as the overall frustration in not having insurance is really taking a toll on me, with almost nothing that I can do about it, other than blog like this. If only the Marketplace itself would take a Time-Out, as it's truly wasting ten of thousands of peoples time daily, promising much, yet delivering only frustration, when that bubble busting phrase "The System is Down Temporarily, Please Try Again in 30 minutes" message pops up. We'll 30 minutes has turned into at least 3 days for me so far, with seemingly no end in sight. So please, do us all a favor & Shut-the-Marketplace-Down, until it's fixed. Thank you.
So if you're going to the website to login and it says it's down then wait until the next day. Tu and Wed this week the system was up and down. You didn't say what your problems were when trying to complete the applications that caused you to create others. I would suggest that you be in front of your computer and login and then call the 800 number so they can help you walk through completing it. People are getting enrolled.
Submitted by Laura Gibson on
I submitted my application on 10/23/13, have recieved numereous emails telling me to view my eligibility results since then yet everytime I log on a click on view eligibilty results my browser opens a new window that remains blank. I have tried this on various computers and various browsers and have even tried on my daughters ipad and my galaxy note same result.
look for a pdf file in the lower left of your web browser then click on the filename. Also try looking in your folder that your browser would download files to, like My Documents or on your desktop depending on how you have it set up.
Submitted by val on
I can not connect to the site. Have been trying since 10/12013. why is this still a problem
Submitted by Heather on
Hi Bill, Your employer should have provided this to you by October 1st. However, the government put out a notice that there would be no penalty for failing to do so, so some may have opted not to. In the meantime, not getting it back isn't the end of the world. I believe the contact name and email address can be left blank if you don't know it. For the FEIN, look back to your old W-2s or old tax filings -- your employer's FEIN shows up each year on your W-2, I believe in Box B. Good luck!
Submitted by Bill on
I gave the 'Employer Coverage Tool' to my former employer ( I am retired, age 62) to fill out in order for me to complete Appendix A. They have not responded and I don't think they will. Are they required by law to do so? I can fill out most of the form myself but I will be guessing at some of the company contact info such as the EIN number, contact name, and proper e-mail address. How will my current coverage info be verifed if the contact information isn't correct?
Submitted by Phyllis on
Please fix the part about the tobacco use so I can get to the enrollment part.