Making the Enrollment Process Easier

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

We continue to make measurable progress to improve HealthCare.gov, and to clear items from our punch list that will have a positive impact on consumers applying for and enrolling in quality health coverage.

As of this morning, we’ve completed fixes for two-thirds of the high priority bugs that our tech team working with issuers identified as being responsible for the issues with 834s transactions and Direct Enrollment.

For example:

• We’ve undertaken a fix that ensures a user can select the appropriate relationship to a dependent, such as mother, father or step-parent.
  • Additionally, when a user checks family eligibility, the system now returns the primary tax filer as the primary applicant.

Other fixes that went in last night enhance the user experience by improving the Plan Compare function on Healthcare.gov.

For example:

• We’ve improved the filter for the “annual deductible” section so that it properly shows the minimum and maximum plan deductibles for the plans the user is considering.
  • And we improved the user interface for when users click on the “Details” button of their selected plan.

We expect to make further progress in resolving high priority issues in the coming days, and we know that the work we’ve done will help consumers and issuers complete enrollments accurately and efficiently.

When we talk about enrollment, I want to remind consumers that one way to enroll is by going online directly to Healthcare.gov, but alternative pathways are available – by phone, in person with an assister, and by paper application.

For those who are not subsidy eligible, another way to enroll outside the Marketplace is to work exclusively through an insurer’s website, and never be connected to HealthCare.gov or the Hub.  A calculation of subsidies would need to be reconciled and secured through the Hub.

We continue to work with issuers to improve our system and leverage more ways for consumers to enroll in quality affordable coverage.

Comments

Submitted by Charlie on
I think you should report very frequently about how you're doing with the fixes. Otherwise, the public gets the feeling that nothing is happening. I tried every day after October 1st, and I can't get through the application process. It's a different problem each time. At first, it kept insisting that my daughter was my parent, and blocked any attempt to change that. Now it asks for a correction of her SSN (I had gotten it wrong the first time I got to that screen), and when I correct the number, it doesn't record the correction, but keeps coming back with the old mistake and telling me it's wrong. Two weeks like this, with no improvement.
You you have an account from early October then start over by creating a new account with a new username, new password, and new email address. Delete your cookies and temporary internet files first. This is working for other people.
Submitted by Mary on
I signed up originally on October 2. However, when I got to the signing page, I could not "sign and submit". In addition, all the information which was said to be saved was not, necessitating re-entering all of it every time I tried to log back in. For the last two weeks, though, I am asked what I would like to do (complete my application), and then I am locked out at the privacy act page, which is the very first one. Live chat produces a stock answer and I am very frustrated.
People who have an account from early October have been able to get enrolled by creating a new account with a new username, new password, and new email address. Delete your cookies and temporary internet files first.
Submitted by Pat on
I have repeatedly tried to enroll on the screen that has the set button. The insurance plan is checked, the dental plan is checked, but the actual screen lets me enroll and shows the pay button. I do this and it links me to the BCBS page that says access denied. OK, I thought I was OK. HOWEVER, when I go back in the Healthcare.gov website says I am in Initial Enrollment, not actually enrolled in a plan. The insurance choice page now shows the enroll section as locked! All other parts are checked and OK. This occurred initially on Oct. 17. I realized last week I was not enrolled in a plan! Maybe this is were part of your problem is for numbers of people enrolled in insurance!!!!
Call the 800 number and see if they can pull up your account and help you get through the enrollment.
Submitted by Donna on
It still won't let me pic a way to make payments
Submitted by Alan on
I cannot complete my application. The screen I come to says more details needed. This screen is locked. What do I do
Call the 800 number and be logged in so you an tell them exactly what you see on your screen and what you're trying to do. They should be able to walk you through it.
Submitted by Bonnie on
How long does it take to get identity verified? I sent in copies of 2 approved proof of identity over 14 days ago. How will I be notified that you acknowledge that I do in fact exist?
Submitted by Phyllis on
When are you going to fix the question about tobacco use. I have been stuck here for 2 weeks. What happens if you can't fix it in time? I have my subsidy but can't enroll. I applied 10/3 on the phone, and 10/24 on line. The help desk and advanced resolution desk don't help at all. Why id the government paying all these people to work and they are useless?
Can the phone reps see your application? When you call them be logged in to the application and tell them what you are trying to do and what happens when you do it and they may be able to help you work through it.
My problem is I CANNOT access the web site . Is a fix in place to access the web site?
Submitted by Suzanne Perry on
How do you add an authorized person? Everytime I call, the person can't do anything on my application? There is no option to add anyone now or when I completed my application in October.
There is a "Report a Life Change" link. That is where you'd do that. I'm not sure if it's fixed yet.
Submitted by Thomas on
I originally used to be able to log in, even though I got error messages. For the past two weeks or so, after entering my username and password, it just takes me straight back to the login page. I know this is the correct password, because if I enter the wrong password it gives an error message. Most of the comments are about the verification system. What about just being able to log in?
Submitted by Tex on
Try clearing your search history and/or cookies. I have had this same problem in the past and fixed by so doing.
It could be either that you are trying to login when the system reached its user capacity of 20,000-30,000 people at one time. Or it could be you need to reset your password because you've tried to login too many times in a row and it locked you out. Reset your password using the "forgot your password" link and see if that helps.
Submitted by Suzanne Perry on
It never said that the primary taxpayer had to be the primary applicant. I put the application in my name because I am the one that is available to answer questions. My husband is the primary taxpayer on our returns. Can this be worked around? Also, when you click on "Enroll" nothing happens.
Submitted by Kathy on
I cannot set my premium tax credit. It won't let me put my amount in the box. If I just click continue, the box gets a blue highlight around it, but nothing happens. I am not using a pop-up blocker, and have tried on IE, Firefox and Chrome browsers after cleaning out the cookies, etc., etc. To be THIS close to seeing the plans is almost unnerving because I'm afraid of the troubles to come. I've been at this since October 1st. EVERY DAY. Things are getting much better though. Thanks for your work!
Submitted by Lisa on
Day 5 same loop. Over and over and over again. FIrst try got up to putting income in. Now get up to summary which is correct start income and error. Over and over and over. it takes at least 20 minutes to get through reviewing the questions depending on how fast the site is working only to get to the income section and an error.
Submitted by Steve on
Don't bother with the live chat. They can't do anything and they will just tell you that you have to call. If you call they will tell you that they understand you are frustrated but they can't help. Still more than 6 weeks after it opened, I can't read the emails sent to me on the 21 Oct on the web site. Advanced resolution doesn't call even when they ask for a time or a date. My web application lists me three times and can't be edited. Beware of the phone application the affordable care person may not spell your name correctly and may enter things incorrectly. My had to be redone 4 times before they got the spelling correct, even now I don't actually know if they have it correct. The worst thing about this is the US still remains the most expense for health care in the world, with results no better than countries with health care costing 1/6 to 1/10 of the US. In Japan, health care costs $1600 per year per person and is the second most efficient system in the world and we all know how long Japanese live. In Germany about $2000/year, Switzerland about the same and Swiss women live almost as long as Japanese.
Submitted by Kevin on
I've had some luck in trying a new email account and healthcare.gov application. I had a detail I needed to remove from my application and the old one still won't give me my eligibility document. The new account is functioning without error, as far as I use it anyway. My details don't exactly test the system's capability being single, childless, without a lot of income details. I can understand that in some cases this would produce new errors as the system tries to port information from one application to the other. So for many people I can believe it might not work. I'm also annoyed that those notice reminders don't say exactly where the message is. I drove myself crazy looking for them.
Submitted by Frustrated on
What do I do when I get this error? It gives me a blank page. https://www.healthcare.gov/ee-rest/auth/MI/en_US/DocumentManagementEE/DocumentFromECM?fileIdentifier=null This error is preventing me from completing my enrollment. I don't understand why they're not fixing this error. Do they want people to enroll or what's the real deal?
what are you trying to do when you get this error?