Making the Enrollment Process Easier

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

We continue to make measurable progress to improve HealthCare.gov, and to clear items from our punch list that will have a positive impact on consumers applying for and enrolling in quality health coverage.

As of this morning, we’ve completed fixes for two-thirds of the high priority bugs that our tech team working with issuers identified as being responsible for the issues with 834s transactions and Direct Enrollment.

For example:

• We’ve undertaken a fix that ensures a user can select the appropriate relationship to a dependent, such as mother, father or step-parent.
  • Additionally, when a user checks family eligibility, the system now returns the primary tax filer as the primary applicant.

Other fixes that went in last night enhance the user experience by improving the Plan Compare function on Healthcare.gov.

For example:

• We’ve improved the filter for the “annual deductible” section so that it properly shows the minimum and maximum plan deductibles for the plans the user is considering.
  • And we improved the user interface for when users click on the “Details” button of their selected plan.

We expect to make further progress in resolving high priority issues in the coming days, and we know that the work we’ve done will help consumers and issuers complete enrollments accurately and efficiently.

When we talk about enrollment, I want to remind consumers that one way to enroll is by going online directly to Healthcare.gov, but alternative pathways are available – by phone, in person with an assister, and by paper application.

For those who are not subsidy eligible, another way to enroll outside the Marketplace is to work exclusively through an insurer’s website, and never be connected to HealthCare.gov or the Hub.  A calculation of subsidies would need to be reconciled and secured through the Hub.

We continue to work with issuers to improve our system and leverage more ways for consumers to enroll in quality affordable coverage.

Comments

Submitted by Rob on
When I click on " VIEW ELIGIBILITY RESULTS ", I get blank pages. I have called the phone line, they could not see the results either. They said they would escalate the problem and have someone call me back in a few days. No one has called. This is a known issue, when is this going to be fixed?? My old insurance will be discontinued Dec 31st because it does not meet minimum standards for ACA. If this is not fixed in time, I will have a lapse of insurance. I qualify for tax credits, so I can not apply through the insurance company website, I must apply through the market place,
Submitted by Virginia on
I can't view my eligibility results. I get a blank page or an error page. I tried on different computers. The chat help was useless and the person on the phone couldn't help me either.
Submitted by Mandy on
Over time I was able to progress all the way to the three step enrollment process. However, step one, "Set premium tax credit usage" doesn't function. There is a "Use this Amount" button but it is non-functional, and it sits next to a white rectangle that also doesn't do anything. I check back at least once a day to see if anything on the page ever becomes "clickable". Beginning to hate that white rectangle and green "button".
Submitted by Kathy on
I set my account up way back in August. I have yet to be able to complete all the way through. Goes back to verification over & over. I have uploaded documents over & over. I was told to send in document to London, KY which I did a month ago - still nothing. Called the 800 and was told to set up with another email address - tried that - now all I get is the following error msg after a certain point. Error Id: 35f32c9e-eb83-4aec-b766-c8d8421404b0 Application Id: 156008967 2013-11-21 15:48:11 I have tried everything anybody has suggested. Countless phone calls with no answers. My insurance is being discontinued and I can get anywhere with this site. Discouraged beyond belief. Keep hearing that things are improving but I sure don't see it.
If you're getting error messages on pages delete your cookies and temporary internet files, logout and restart your browser. Make sure you don't have any ad or script blocking set in your browser, firewall, or antivirus progams, update java (uninstall old version first). Close other applications. Try using a different browser. Internet explorer, chrome, and safari are working better than firefox.
Submitted by Brenda on
Glynis, you are wonderful. Please try to help everyone. Yours is the only useful information I have seen.
Submitted by melissa on
I created and account and received a welcome e-mail, but I can't log back in to my account. The link to verify my e-mail keeps giving me the error: "Oops. The Marketplace couldn't verify your email address. Please wait and click on the link in the email we sent you to verify your email. (If you're copying and pasting the link, make sure you copy the entire link). If you're still having trouble verifying your email address, call the Marketplace Call Center at 1-800-318-2596. TTY users should call 1-855-889-4325." I've reset my password, since that's what I thought the problem was at first BEFORE I got the e-mail verification, but that also leads to an error: "Important: We can't process your request." I called and gave all of my info, but now I would like to see everything on the screen for myself and continue to the shopping portion.
Submitted by Suzanne on
I have filled out the application and now how do I buy the insurance???????
If you don't know what to do next call the 800 number. Be in front of your computer and login so they can help walk you through the steps.
I have suggestion let us delete application without creating a new account. I refuse to create a new account to actually be able to go through this process of getting health insurance. My situation I am stuck until the website is fixed that is what the call center told me. I cannot view my notices or eligibility results. I tried everything “live chat “and the call center told me to do and nothing works.
Submitted by Dan on
It's been 31 days and counting now, since I submitted my 1st application, followed by 2nd one last week, followed by a 3rd one this week, all with different ID's & passwords & email addresses, hoping & praying that one of those fixed bugs would get me to the promised land, and I still have zero progress to show for. From what I can gather, the Marketplace remains a work in progress, with Dec. 1st seemingly being the new target date, at which time it's thought that many of us will finally be able to move forward. The reality being that our submitting more & more applications is not the answer, as we're seemingly only worsening the situation (my opinion). Yes, I want to move forward as much as anyone does here, as the overall frustration in not having insurance is really taking a toll on me, with almost nothing that I can do about it, other than blog like this. If only the Marketplace itself would take a Time-Out, as it's truly wasting ten of thousands of peoples time daily, promising much, yet delivering only frustration, when that bubble busting phrase "The System is Down Temporarily, Please Try Again in 30 minutes" message pops up. We'll 30 minutes has turned into at least 3 days for me so far, with seemingly no end in sight. So please, do us all a favor & Shut-the-Marketplace-Down, until it's fixed. Thank you.
So if you're going to the website to login and it says it's down then wait until the next day. Tu and Wed this week the system was up and down. You didn't say what your problems were when trying to complete the applications that caused you to create others. I would suggest that you be in front of your computer and login and then call the 800 number so they can help you walk through completing it. People are getting enrolled.
Submitted by Laura Gibson on
I submitted my application on 10/23/13, have recieved numereous emails telling me to view my eligibility results since then yet everytime I log on a click on view eligibilty results my browser opens a new window that remains blank. I have tried this on various computers and various browsers and have even tried on my daughters ipad and my galaxy note same result.
look for a pdf file in the lower left of your web browser then click on the filename. Also try looking in your folder that your browser would download files to, like My Documents or on your desktop depending on how you have it set up.
Submitted by val on
I can not connect to the site. Have been trying since 10/12013. why is this still a problem
Submitted by Heather on
Hi Bill, Your employer should have provided this to you by October 1st. However, the government put out a notice that there would be no penalty for failing to do so, so some may have opted not to. In the meantime, not getting it back isn't the end of the world. I believe the contact name and email address can be left blank if you don't know it. For the FEIN, look back to your old W-2s or old tax filings -- your employer's FEIN shows up each year on your W-2, I believe in Box B. Good luck!
Submitted by Bill on
I gave the 'Employer Coverage Tool' to my former employer ( I am retired, age 62) to fill out in order for me to complete Appendix A. They have not responded and I don't think they will. Are they required by law to do so? I can fill out most of the form myself but I will be guessing at some of the company contact info such as the EIN number, contact name, and proper e-mail address. How will my current coverage info be verifed if the contact information isn't correct?
Submitted by Phyllis on
Please fix the part about the tobacco use so I can get to the enrollment part.
Submitted by Heather on
Hi Mike, I was told to go ahead and apply with the carrier if I choose -- BUT, I don't qualify for a tax credit. Be sure to ask if you can still get it if you apply directly with the carrier. That said, even our carriers locally are taking applications just on paper... I don't understand it, but none of them have set their websites up to accept 2014 applications. I used a local agent. Also, be sure to double check the network before you buy. I know around here Anthem BC/BS is the lowest cost plan, but they've dropped all of the major hospitals in the area from their network. So, while they had the best price, I can say that they weren't the right option for us.
Submitted by Mike on
I applied 2 days ago via the phone line, At that time, I Was verbally given my tax credit. I then went on the computer, linked through my e mail stating that I had a message waiting. I also created an account with my log in name and password at that time ( person on phone never had me create account BEFORE we did the application, was that the problem?/) I can't find my message vefifying my tax credit. Also the system keeps wanting to make me start over with a new application. Should I reapply???? I have already shopped around ( using brwose, then went to each companies web sites, called my doctor and local hospital) I even have narrowed my choice down to which company I want ( Blue Cross PPO). I now just need to see Acturarial Values so tthat I can choose which of the 7 offered plans make most sense with my tax credit. Blue Cross sales person said that are offering to enroll people through their computer, that way they will bird dog the application through ( they told me todya that even I I apply through web site, they still are NOT getting any applications from the gov't). IS THIS A GOOD IDEA TO ENLIST Blue Crosses help in applying??? I just don't want to do anything to make matters worse..... I was trlying to apply a little earlier that Dec 1 supposed Web site fix date because in my humble opinion on !2/1 and 12/2 the site is going to become overwhelmed with volume that it can''t handle even if it is supposedly fixed ( the amt of pent up demand is higher that anything media, congress of WHite house is ready for.... again in my humbel opinion) Any suggestions?
As far as I know they only way you can apply your tax credit is to apply on the federal website. Don't fill out a new application as long as you did the phone application. You get to the notice that tells you your tax credit by clicking on the "Eligibility & appeals" link. When you click to view your eligibility results look for a pdf file in the lower left corner of your web browser and click on the filename to open it. If you don't know how to find that link then call the 800 number when you are logged in and the phone rep will walk you through the steps.
Submitted by Amy on
I'm still getting the "verification system is temporarily down" after weeks of trying even though the message says a"fix" will be available in 24 hours. What's the best thing to do - keep waiting, apply by phone, start a new application. I chated online to explain the issue I was having - doesn't recognize by SSN even though it is correct - was promised a phone call in 3-5 days but no one has replied.
Call the phone rep and see if they can see your first application. If they can't then start a new application either by phone or online. If you try a new one online then create a new account with a new username, new password, and new email address. Delete your cookies and temporary internet files first.
Submitted by Tim on
I get past eligibility and it says continue to enrollment, where all I get is a blank page, no plans to choose from. It has been that way since day 1; no sign of a fix coming for that anytime soon . . .
Do you ever see an "Enroll To Do List"? If you started your application in Oct then create a new account with a new username, new password, and new email address and start over. Delete your cookies and temporary internet files first. This is working for other people who have done it.