Making the Enrollment Process Easier

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

We continue to make measurable progress to improve HealthCare.gov, and to clear items from our punch list that will have a positive impact on consumers applying for and enrolling in quality health coverage.

As of this morning, we’ve completed fixes for two-thirds of the high priority bugs that our tech team working with issuers identified as being responsible for the issues with 834s transactions and Direct Enrollment.

For example:

• We’ve undertaken a fix that ensures a user can select the appropriate relationship to a dependent, such as mother, father or step-parent.
  • Additionally, when a user checks family eligibility, the system now returns the primary tax filer as the primary applicant.

Other fixes that went in last night enhance the user experience by improving the Plan Compare function on Healthcare.gov.

For example:

• We’ve improved the filter for the “annual deductible” section so that it properly shows the minimum and maximum plan deductibles for the plans the user is considering.
  • And we improved the user interface for when users click on the “Details” button of their selected plan.

We expect to make further progress in resolving high priority issues in the coming days, and we know that the work we’ve done will help consumers and issuers complete enrollments accurately and efficiently.

When we talk about enrollment, I want to remind consumers that one way to enroll is by going online directly to Healthcare.gov, but alternative pathways are available – by phone, in person with an assister, and by paper application.

For those who are not subsidy eligible, another way to enroll outside the Marketplace is to work exclusively through an insurer’s website, and never be connected to HealthCare.gov or the Hub.  A calculation of subsidies would need to be reconciled and secured through the Hub.

We continue to work with issuers to improve our system and leverage more ways for consumers to enroll in quality affordable coverage.

Comments

well thanks for the shout-out. I used to do this for a living and it bothers me when people are frustrated like this and turn to a blog that nobody from customer support is monitoring. I put together my own tip sheet and primer on how to get through the process based on what I'm hearing from people I know. They even sent me screen shots. I just want people to be successful enrolling so I'll do what I can.
Submitted by Jane on
I made an error in my original application. I haven't enrolled in a plan yet, but the system doesn't allow me to edit or change anything. (The "report a life change" button is grayed out, even though it says right below it that it should have functioned on 11/15/13). I tried creating a whole new account with a new email, but when I did that, I got part way through the application process and it crashed. When I tried to log in again under the new email and password, an error page appeared with the words "error unmarshalling request." How can I start a fresh application? Nothing I have tried has worked, including multiple browsers, cache and cookie clearing, and new accounts.
Call the 800 number and ask them how you find the Submit checklist where you can click on "change". I just read in another thread that somebody clicked on that and was able to go back through the application to make changes.
When you are notified by email that you have a message about Marketplace eligibility, log in and click on the words "Individual and Family Coverage" on the "what would you like to do?" page next to where it says "in progress". On the next screen click on "Eligibility & appeals" to view the eligibility document. Click on "Resume Enrollment" to go to the "Enroll To-Do List". Don't worry about what it says in the red bar on the "Enroll To Do List", it's just a reminder. You set your eligibility subsidy on this page and click on the green "Set" to see and compare plans. After you select a plan click on "Confirm". The greyed out "Locked" buttons will unlock after you complete the preceeding step. You have to complete each step to enroll. If you are unsure what to do next or have a question call the 800 number and a phone rep will walk you through each step. If you have a problem completing the dental section, call the 800 number and the phone rep can get around the problem and complete your enrollment.
Submitted by Otis on
Thanks to the hard working technicans for the improvement; we are looking forward for better days.
Submitted by Rob on
So Glynis, you seem to an island of help here on this site. Are you an insider that knows the ropes or just a very astute and helpful citizen?
Not an insider, just a helpful citizen. I used to do support for major software roll-outs so I know how frustrating this is for people. It bothered me to see people pouring out their frustrations and seeing that nobody from support was monitoring the blog I just had to jump in and try to help them through it.
Submitted by Tom on
I want to change my status, i.e. click the CHANGE button for "Answer questions about your household". I want to change my grouping, and the page to allow this only shows momentarily and then disappears. This is a known glitch as I have complained several times and told that it is. However, they cannot give me a date for when this will be changed. Hopefully, it is part of the known glitches that will be fixed soon.