Best Practices for Improvement

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Improvements and enhancements for HealthCare.gov and the Health Insurance Marketplace continue to advance every day.

Yesterday, we reported slowness on the site and some difficulties with users being able to effectively log in.  Today, the system is stable but remains slow for users.  The tech team continues to work to troubleshoot items as they arrive.

Yesterday we experienced new stresses on the system further downstream in the application than we have previously experienced, revealing new capacity issues.  Overnight, the team added hardware to help alleviate that pressure. QSSI, our general contractor, is further assessing overall capacity needs throughout the system as part of our ongoing effort to make improvements.

In addition, QSSI has established a new protocol for addressing items on the punch list. The new protocol includes focusing integrated teams on specific software issues within the application and enrollment process – this includes things such as eligibility, enrollment, and plan compare in particular – prioritizing the fixes in each category and fully testing them prior to implementation.

The performance teams are planning multiple software releases per week going forward.  This will help us execute fixes with the necessary pace and precision.

Because performance teams are dedicated by category, they are becoming increasingly proficient in developing fixes quickly and building an ongoing pipeline of improvements for implementation.  If a fix becomes too complex to deploy rapidly, it is assigned to a dedicated escalation team to address.

This protocol is a best practice approach from the private sector that will help us make progress on our punch list and continuously improve the functionality and performance of HealthCare.gov.

Comments

Submitted by Rick on
I keep trying relentlessly to login but the login page times itself out within seconds. I phone in my application on October 10th and when I call back to check on it all I get is a line of BARF. I went to BCBS of Florida and they were able to log in and check my status, only to find out the exchange is waiting to see if I qualify for Medicaid. With a $42,000.00 income, I know I am NOT eligible for Medicaid. A friggin JUNK YARD isn't this screwed up! My current policy runs out December 31st also and the medications I require cost over $2,600.00 per month, NOT TO MENTION IT'S A QUESTION OF LIFE OR DEATH. Not that's a comforting feeling to deal with day in and day out.. My next stop ... bankruptcy and then death. I just want to extend my thanks to all the MORONS for diligently designing the exchanges website.
Submitted by Jane on
It is still not working
Submitted by John on
Still waiting for my identity to be verified, by the uploaded doc's and the mailed in doc's. ( I mailed them in too, since God know's if they get the uploads. ) Waiting for a MONTH now ! Calling the Marketplace number OR even the " Advanced Resolution Center " is a waste of time.
Submitted by Frank on
Someone should be responding to these comments!
Submitted by Mark on
I am another one who is stuck at the view eligibility button. Clicking this brings me back to my application. Also, I received a request 10/15 to verify my income. Did so electronically and via US Mail. Nothing has changed, and neither chat or help line has any access or visibility. Promised a call from "Advanced Resolution Dept" on Oct 31. Nothing. Called Marketplace today, they transferred me to Advanced Res, and I sat on hold for over 45 minutes. Gave up. WOW! Is this broken or what? I need coverage, as my present plan goes away on 12/31.
Submitted by Marco on
This is government at its best!
Submitted by gary on
I understand your problem. I to am stuck at the "view eligibility results". Good luck.
Submitted by Donald on
CNBC just reported that some Senate staffers contacted all the insurance companies in the exchange for the District of Columbia (which is treated as if it were a separate state) and was told they had 5 enrollments total (not for a day, but total since Oct 1) . But CMS healthcare.gov thinks that they have 164 enrollments for DC. So they lost 159 out 164 enrollments for DC. That points out that the problems with this are SYSTEM problems encompassing a wide range of things including the formatting and data feeds via the 834 format to the insurance companies. It's not just the web site and page loading times. You need to make the whole thing work, not just the front end. You are deceiving people into thinking they have insurance now, when nothing has gone to the insurance companies. This is really bad. It is worse than if you had not website and no system at all. You are going to burn through the next three weeks, hit Nov 30, and still have problems. What is President Obama going to do then? There is no time to change the law's implementation, as the insurance companies have sent out the cancellation letters and are exiting serving the individual market completely in some states. This is going to go down as the biggest policy disaster since the mistakes made during the Great Depression.
Submitted by lady1 on
yep, i told my friend that if they dont find a job by november 30th 2013 or the deadline of march 30th 2014, that to let the IRS fine them this one time around, i saw this coming , it will be well be into the middle of 2014 , and they will have to make changes and even then its going to be alot of shit to fix, by 2015 they will have it fixed 80% . i soooooo hope i'm wrong, i do hope they fix this sooner
Submitted by john on
Agree that website is disaster. But remember that, This good intended effort was obstructed and continues to be obstructed every step of the way, whether it is funding or cooperation from states. Besides all the problems with the website, which will be fixed. I am sure and hope law will be success.
Submitted by Natalie on
There needs to be something done to help speed up the "verify identity" glitch. I have been getting that notification since the first week of Oct. Even after downloading several documents to prove identity, sending in proof of identity and now waiting 5 weeks, my application remains in the "pending" state because apparently, the verification is under review?? Really? And I still have not received any correspondence via e-mail as to what is happening.... unacceptable!....Shut the site down for as long as it takes to get it running correctly!
Submitted by Linda on
Ditto. I'm in the same boat. Been waiting for almost a month for I d verification Also. I get the green bar saying application is incomplete Tried several times to complete the application it will not save. However my application I'd number was sent to four different states. Say what?....... I've been calling marketplace and they only apologize. As of this morning I am waiting for a call from an emulator to fix these errors. Have to wait 2-5 business days. This is the fourth day and waiting
Submitted by ryan on
Same problem. Downloaded numerous documents and then sent documents by certified mail. Still waiting.
Submitted by kevin on
ditto to the above from Natalie... this is where I'm stuck... too.,..... in the NJ Marketplace..... SMH....
Submitted by Pamela on
Thx for posting Nat ... I have been waiting and calling and chatting about that very glitch since Oct. 3. AND this is after HUMAN verification via Experian and repeated uploads of state driver's license. I even used one of the other application methods, i.e., applying by telephone, which is just as ineffective as applying online. The representative actually tells you there is "no estimate of time" for when to expect to receive your "verification" letter, which must delivered by snail mail, regardless of your request to receive updates via email.
Take it one step at a time guys. I know you can make this work.
Submitted by James Wimberley on
A suggestion for other commenters. There's still (!!) no feedback from the site owners, but we can help ourselves a little. I'm pretty unqualified, but I've posted replies to people who don't know how to create a new email account or clean out an Internet cache. A lot of you are much more qualified than me and can answer more difficult questions.
Submitted by Jerry on
How do I create a new email account without having to start from scratch again on my application? THANKS, Jerry
Submitted by Marc on
WRT functionality -- how about using a working system (say California) and replicating it across the remaining 30 (or so) states. WRT scalability - how about an independent site for each state. the landing page would be the only common page redirecting the trafficto appropriate site based of the state selection.
Submitted by Michele on
Marcus and I will also be signing up for Obamacare. Hopefully the site will be up and running by then. I love Obamacare. Michele Bachmann
Submitted by Melinda on
I didn't bother to spend the time to write a reply-I just copied another one as below which applies to me as well. Very frustrating! "There needs to be something done to help speed up the "verify identity" glitch. I have been getting that notification since the first week of Oct. Even after downloading several documents to prove identity, sending in proof of identity and now waiting 5 weeks, my application remains in the "pending" state because apparently, the verification is under review?? "
Submitted by Tom on
I was in the same boat, applied 10/2 I.D. verification 'Pending" for over a month. This am I created a new account with a different email address, filled out the app again and answered their I.D. verification questions and it came back "identity verified". I think some of the early accounts/applications are stuck in the verification process and those people may have better luck setting up a new account with a different email address. This worked for me. YMMV.
Submitted by Don on
I will also be signing up for through covered CA.Keep up the good Fight.
Submitted by Trv on
Your IT staff failed. They should have planned for the capacity knowing millions of people would be using the system. Theres no excuse for this.