Adding Capacity

Monday, November 25, 2013

Over the weekend, we implemented software fixes focused on enhancing the user experience, improving enrollment, and streamlining the workflow for agents, brokers and call center representatives.

Additionally, we added storage capacity in the CMS Data center. This infrastructure improvement will enable increased processing power as more users move through the system.

It’s likely that as we move forward we’ll find additional glitches and experience intermittent periods of sub-optimal performance, when the system may be slow or not responsive. Just this morning, due to parts of the system not communicating effectively, the application and enrollment tools on HealthCare.gov was unavailable for approximately one hour.  Our tech team quickly resolved the issue and got the system back on track. The Data Services Hub remained fully operational.

We’ve made measurable progress in addressing two issues:  Improving the user experience and managing capacity shortfalls and volume.

In terms of improving the site experience, the vast majority of users will not experience the slow response times, error messages, and system outages that characterized their experience in October.  The system will not work perfectly on December 1st, but it will operate much better than it did on October 1st.

In terms of capacity, by the end of the month HealthCare.gov will be able to operate at the capacity that was originally intended: a rate of approximately 50,000 users on the site at the same time. This means the system will be able to accommodate more than 800,000 visits a day from consumers who are seeking information, filling out applications, shopping, and enrolling.

There will be times that volume on HealthCare.gov will exceed this demand, and we are preparing for that. If we experience extraordinary demand, consumers may not be immediately able to complete the application. They will be queued, in order to ensure a smoother process, and will experience some wait time.

We will continue to work every day to ensure that every American who wants it has access to these new, quality, coverage options.

Comments

Submitted by Melissa on
I still haven't been able to access my account. My e-mail address still can't be verified (I still get an "Oops!"), therefore I can't change my password, therefore I can't do anything in my account. I'm just going to wait to be called by an agent to have it all deleted-online account and application-so I can start over.
Submitted by Sarah on
At this time, accounts are unable to be deleted. Just create a new account with a new username and password and start over on your own.
You won't be able to verify your email address if you wait too long after you get the email before clicking on the link. In that case you need to start over. As I understand it they can't delete old accounts so don't wait. Make sure you delete your cookies, temporary internet files, and history before you start over.
Submitted by Jaded Observer on
Can't delete old account information? Amazingly bad answer. You have to delete cookies, temp file and history and start over. But you can't delete an old account. No wonder this thing doesn't' work, garbage in garbage out.
Submitted by James on
Hi, I can not sign back on to the site. It say it can not remember my password.
reset your password by clicking on 'forgot your password'.
Submitted by peggy on
My application from Oct 1st was all messed up, couldn't get verified, etc, talked to advance resolution, on more than one occasion, finally set up new account with new email and user name, process was easy and smooth, verified right away and just purchased my insurance today. MUCH better than October 1st. Very happy now.
Submitted by Robert again on
Please help, Geisinger health plans still don't have the tax credits applied to them. I'd like to get one of their plans but i am not paying FULL price! Geisinger said it was supposed to be fixed last week. Oh well what can I say.
Submitted by Ted on
Yea I see what you mean about the Geisinger plans .All their plans are on there at full price. I bet they are not selling many!! If I was them I wouldn't be too happy.!!
Submitted by Michelle on
I have tried repeatedly to complete my application without success. My completed application has been stuck in the "IN PROGRESS" mode for weeks. I wonder if the website will ever truly recognize my completed application or will I continuously have to complete the application only to left in the never land of "IN PROGRESS". I am frustrated with the whole thing. I will keep trying for I have no other choice. PLEASE FIX whatever is keeping my application from becoming complete even though I have completed it more that 40 times.
Create a new account, with a new username, a new password, and a new email address. Delete your cookies and temporary internet files first. Chrome, Internet Explorer, or Safari browsers work better than Firefox. Be very careful with the format of your answers and follow the examples they give exactly as they look. Also, don't add any decimals to any place they don't, like to hours worked, round up or down. And your name should be exactly as it appears on your Social Security card.
Submitted by CeCe on
Not sure why enrollment will not allow me to finalize. It just keeps spinning when I try to set the final step.
Delete your cookies, temporary internet files, and history and restart your browser before logging in again.
Submitted by Florence on
If you are having issues signing up you can also go to http://www.gohealth.com. This offers the same ability as healthcare.gov with the exception of Medicaid and subsidy calculations(?).
you have to use healthcare.gov if you want the subsidy unless you live in TX,OH, or FL that has a pilot project that allows you to sign up directly with insurers and still get the subsidy. If you don't qualify for a subsidy you can go directly to insurers or to any online site like gohealth, ehealthinsurance, GetInsured, etc to get insurance. It may cost more that way because you aren't getting the benefit of a larger pool through the Marketplace.
Submitted by Roger on
Here is an idea that doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out. Give users the ability to delete incomplete applications so that they can start a brand new application without creating a new email account, etc. Many of the problems are likely to be related to corrupt data that was saved in October or early November.
Submitted by Laurie on
You don't need to delete a previous account. Just simply creat a new one with a different email account. Worked for me, I was successful.
Seriously, that is too good of an idea for them to EVER let you do it! Think of the call center jobs that would be lost if this actually worked! I'm sure there is now a special interest group fighting to keep the website broken.
Submitted by Pat on
What Roger said!!!
Submitted by Roger on
I'm glad your adding capacity so that you can have more concurrent users. Now, I can crash the system faster than every before like I have been almost everyday in November. :( What good is additional capacity on a system with so many business logic defects?
Submitted by Tim on
Boy, imagine if your GOP governor actually wanted to help his citizens by working on its own exchange. Looks like you got taken in your state.
Submitted by Steve on
Boy, I can't even create an account, and I can't get an email back verifying my account. I can't logon. Nobody at the telephone number can help me, or even write up a ticket. My child has cancer. I need insurance. My policy was canceled. If I don't get coverage on January 1, I don't know what will happen. Your snarky comments about Republican governors don't really help me much. I bet you are some punk kid living in mommies basement, living off her insurance policy. Good luck for you.
Submitted by S on
I can't remove a 3rd person that the software managed to create. I can't commit to a plan (even though I can choose to only pick 2 people to cover) because the documents to show where I can go to the doctor (or hospital) do not work. I bet I have to go 90 miles instead of 60 because it would be across state lines to the closer decent hospital. I also may or may not make it to 100% poverty level (due to variable self employment income, and the possibility that my self employed health deduction will decrease my adjusted gross income. I also think I have to reduce my income by 1/2 my self employment payment. Therefore my income might well be where I qualify for medicaid. This information (about adj income) is not readily available from a trusted source. I can't have medicaid because the Missouri legislature is acting like a bunch of children and will not discuss expanding medicaid to 100% of the poverty level. I might be 98% or maybe 105%. If I claim the subsidy and have to pay back over $9000 because I should have been on medicaid (that Missouri will not let me have) I will be financially devastated. My junk policy was $4220 (for 2 people) with about $12,000 deductible. Now they are cancelling it. (I could not afford it anyway) I want this insurance badly, but I need it by Jan 1, and I want to see it in print, not order it over the phone. The White House needs to make all poor people eligible for the subsidy (even if they are under 100% of the poverty level. And they have to get the providers listed, so I can see if the doctors are even close to me. I also don't know why, I am looking at a silver plan with a $1000 per person deductible and $1000 maximum out of pocket, but the Summary of Benefits and Coverage: says it is $3,000 person / $6,000 family for In Network. $6,000 person / $12,000 family for Non-Network. I need facts. Also, I have read that the repayment would not be the full amount of the difference based on income. I can't find this anywhere official. I am going to have to go from junk insurance to no insurance. I have been looking forward to this for years, and now I am very upset about the whole mess.
Submitted by Debbie on
The reason the deductible and OOP for a silver plan show higher at the carrier then at healthcare.gov is because certain people may also be eligible for the cost sharing subsidy in addition to the tax credit subsidy. It reduces the deductible and OOP based on income for those with incomes up to 250 percent of the FPL. Also with regard to having to pay back subsidies if you were initially estimated to qualify for advance tax credits but at reconciliation time it turned out that you didn't make enough and would not have been eligible for subsidies, there is a provision in the law that says you will not have to pay it back as it won't be subject to reconciliation nor will the cost sharing subsidy. You should contact an agent in your state.
Thanks Debbie. My reply was written way before yours showed up. I'm sure you know they have to review it. I came to your conclusion on the cost sharing, but I found Public Law 112–9 at gpo.gov that said that my repayment would fall as "Less than 200% .......................................... $600 ". Either way, it won't cost more than I pay now. Where did you find your info? I'd like to see it.