Adding Capacity

Monday, November 25, 2013

Over the weekend, we implemented software fixes focused on enhancing the user experience, improving enrollment, and streamlining the workflow for agents, brokers and call center representatives.

Additionally, we added storage capacity in the CMS Data center. This infrastructure improvement will enable increased processing power as more users move through the system.

It’s likely that as we move forward we’ll find additional glitches and experience intermittent periods of sub-optimal performance, when the system may be slow or not responsive. Just this morning, due to parts of the system not communicating effectively, the application and enrollment tools on HealthCare.gov was unavailable for approximately one hour.  Our tech team quickly resolved the issue and got the system back on track. The Data Services Hub remained fully operational.

We’ve made measurable progress in addressing two issues:  Improving the user experience and managing capacity shortfalls and volume.

In terms of improving the site experience, the vast majority of users will not experience the slow response times, error messages, and system outages that characterized their experience in October.  The system will not work perfectly on December 1st, but it will operate much better than it did on October 1st.

In terms of capacity, by the end of the month HealthCare.gov will be able to operate at the capacity that was originally intended: a rate of approximately 50,000 users on the site at the same time. This means the system will be able to accommodate more than 800,000 visits a day from consumers who are seeking information, filling out applications, shopping, and enrolling.

There will be times that volume on HealthCare.gov will exceed this demand, and we are preparing for that. If we experience extraordinary demand, consumers may not be immediately able to complete the application. They will be queued, in order to ensure a smoother process, and will experience some wait time.

We will continue to work every day to ensure that every American who wants it has access to these new, quality, coverage options.

This post is no longer accepting comments. If you want to learn more about the Affordable Care Act, please visit hhs.gov/healthcare. If you have question about or need assistance with health insurance enrollment, please visit https://www.healthcare.gov/contact-us/.

Comments

In Wisconsin. I get a correct Income Summary. I Save & Continue. When asked if I stopped working, work less hours, or changed jobs I say Yes or I leave it blank as it is optional. The Yearly Income then says $0.00. No matter how I go back and edit I get stuck here with a $0 for income. Any suggestions?
Submitted by Dennis on
Have you done any usability testing? The casual user would have difficulty with the web site, regardless of fast page loads, no freezes or no stoppages, and no errors with data input. The site is NOT user friendly. Some pages are too overloaded with information, and the information the user really wants immediately requires that the user scroll and search. The critical links must be visible immediately at the top each page. It's evident there was no formal and independent usability testing with casual users during the development period. That's unfortunate. Even President Obama mentioned how difficult it was for users to simply compare plans on the site, which is the most crucial activity for the consumer. Very poor planning led to poor implementation Inexcusable.
Submitted by Mike on
I am with you, Tom. My wife and I have been stuck at a point right near the end of the enrollment process on healthcare.gov literally for weeks. I just learned from a telephone customer service agent yesterday (!) that it is not a technical/website error so much as a requirement that we send copies of our respective driver's license and social security card to Kentucky. We had literally NO idea. I dread the thought of wringing my hands as my correspondence sits in a mail bag in the corner of the office. By the way, it was ONLY by virtue of a precise Internet search this morning that I learned of the "Identity Verification" snafu. See New York Times. Mike
Submitted by Rob on
You must feel great having to send copies of your drivers license and Social Security card using United States Postal Service. LOL
Submitted by John on
Amazing that the govt is FORCING a product on us. I strongly object, and will refuse to go along - it's my right as a citizen.
Submitted by Totally Frustrated on
PROGRESS ... well, not really. Received an email that "healthcare.gov is ready to help me get covered". Click on the link provided; logged onto healthcare.gov to find out that absolutely NOTHING has changed. I am still stuck at "View Eligibility Results". That magic number never appears, no matter which way I attempt to view it. Without being able to view the results, one can't move past this point. I've been stuck at this point for about 6 weeks and have been attempting to get an application through since October 1st. The first application via PDF is totally blank, when the marketplace person apparently didn't 'save' it. Got a "partially" canned email from one of our Senators .... really feel that we need to tell our Congress people that they need to extend the deadline and work endlessly to make sure those that need coverage by January 1st get it. This entire mess could have been avoided .......
Submitted by Michele on
Does anyone have an update on how long the ID verification process is going to take. I uploaded the requested documents the first week of November and still have heard nothing. Thanks.
Submitted by C on
I have been trying to help my son get Health Care. It has been a virtual nightmare. Filled the application on 10-5 on line. We have got him all the way through the system and picked a plan. The application says complete. Only problem is that Health.Care.gov can't see his application or anything under his name. This is crazy how can we see it and the Site itself can't?? Also he is at poverty level and living in Virginia where Medicade is not available to new applicants. He has to pay full price. No tax credit at all. Seems like he falls in the so called (Gap). This system is terrible. The reps on the phone don't have a clue what they are doing. Well you can't blame them you have to blame the Government for a poor Website that don't work. This is America not a 3rd world country. Still waiting a month for the Resolution Dept to call. This is the longest 2 to 5 day wait I have ever seen.
Submitted by Ralph on
To anyone complaining about this federal web site, please write to your governor and complain to them. They should have set up their own web sites to handle the healthcare needs of their states. The smart states that have set up their own exchanges are doing just fine.
Submitted by Paul on
I have been denied coverage with no explanation! My income is very low and I have a spouse and I will be retiring thus reducing my income to social security. I have called and was promised that someone from the escalation department would contact me within 2 to 5 business days. I called three times and received the same response three times. It has now been over a month and no one has called me. What a farce!!!!!!!!!!!!
Submitted by Disappointed on
On Oct. 21, President Obama said in the Rose Garden: "And finally, if you’ve already tried to apply through the website and you’ve been stuck somewhere along the way, do not worry. In the coming weeks, we will contact you directly, personally, with a concrete recommendation for how you can complete your application, shop for coverage, pick a plan that meets your needs, and get covered once and for all." It hasn't happened. For the untold number of people in this situation it has been very disappointing. It shouldn't be too much to expect that promises are kept.
Submitted by Randall on
I get error message 500.806 on the last page of the "set my premium tax credit " step. The "use this amount" screen on that page is blank.I was finally told by a call center supervisor it is an IT issue. I can't fully enroll until I get past this step.Help!!!!!
For tips and tricks on how to move through the screens to enroll in a plan and help troubleshooting the common problems being posted here, Google: "my obamacare success story: It was worth the wait!" or here is the link for the cut/paste http://www.leftinalabama.com/diary/10716/my-obamacare-success-story-it-was-worth-the-wait
Submitted by Dianne on
I redid my application and then was told I did not qualify for free insurance but would be able to look at my options and then I can not get off the enrollment checklist page. It tells me that I need to complete enrollment that I am in process but will not let me back into the application and will not let me see any plans.... Should I start screaming now??/ I am on the transplant list and can not NOT have any insurance or I get kicked off the list!
On the enroll to do list page, you should see a green box with the word "set" in it. Click that word. Proceed from there.
Submitted by Robert on
I have the Identity Verification Problem also. I did call the number for verification 3 times and Experian my identity was verified. This is when I could get logged in the system and try to complete the application which I never could finish. I mailed a completed application to Dept of Health and Human Services in London Ky on October 3, 2013. To date I have not heard a response. On Nov 29th I am going to call the number and apply over the phone. I hope it works. I really want the insurance. I am from Kansas. If there is a way I could check on my application I would or if there is a fax number I would re-fax my application. Please let me know. Thank You
Submitted by I'll pay the fee on
Julie Bataille - you appear to be doing the best you can - parroting the governmental responses. But it ain't gunna work no more! People are figuring out the website is a travesty, no end user functionality and serious questions about data safety. Imagine wasting time to sign up just to have your personal information hacked and resold around the world.
Submitted by Tom on
Julie Bataille , Are you aware of the "Identity Verification" problem ? If you are not then I don' t beleive you. But if you are then WHAT IS THE SOLUTION FOR THE PROBLEM? We have been waiting for the fix for more than 6 weeks already. Time is running out !!! Much appriciate if you answer my question. Tom.
Submitted by Totally Frustrated on
I doubt that Ms. Bataille will come on the blog to answer any questions. Most of what is written has not much substance and no one at the marketplace that I've spoken to has much more to offer. The last time I spoke with a supervisor ... she had no answers to give me on how to finish this process. Others are disconnecting people; live chat has disconnected me twice. Don't bother with them ... they can't help with anything and you'll only get more frustrated. From someone who has done just about everything possible since October 1st, I'll take a shot at answering your questions. I'm sure they are aware of the verification problem .. and right now they have no answer to offer.
People still stuck in identity verification who created accounts in Oct. are able to complete an application and enroll in a plan by creating a new account with a new username, new password, and new email address. Delete cookies, temporary internet files, and history first. Make sure your browser and java are up to date.
Submitted by Jaafar on
Why doesn't the govt. fix the issue of not being able to submit the app. online because the verification system is down. It has been down for a month now at least in Michigan, and I am not able to see what tax credit I can get. Every time I waste 30 minutes to review the app, and then I get the msg that says the verification system is down. Eventually more and more people will not enroll if this issue does not get fixed. I hate to say this but third world country websites are far more better than healthcare. gov and we are in the United States of America, it is a shame for us to have a govt website that does not function properly.
Submitted by Coco on
Got my user name and now I have a new temporary password. Is this web site SAFE? Should we wait until more security measures are operational? Norton found a virus on one of your links that was e-mailed to us with our temporary password. I am concerned about the information that we send to you on October 3, 2013. Please let us know our next steps! We need insurance ASAP!
Security measures are operational. Norton may have thought there was a virus but even anti-virus applications give false positives. There is no information that is kept on the website.
Submitted by Jimmy on
You can get quick anonymous quotes and subsidy calculations at buyingobamacare.com for all the FFE states until they fix healthcare.gov.
Submitted by jdf on
The President is running around saying people were going bankrupt when they got sick. He solved that now we can go bankrupt because of high cost of obamacare and when we get sick. What a nightmare.