Adding Capacity

Monday, November 25, 2013

Over the weekend, we implemented software fixes focused on enhancing the user experience, improving enrollment, and streamlining the workflow for agents, brokers and call center representatives.

Additionally, we added storage capacity in the CMS Data center. This infrastructure improvement will enable increased processing power as more users move through the system.

It’s likely that as we move forward we’ll find additional glitches and experience intermittent periods of sub-optimal performance, when the system may be slow or not responsive. Just this morning, due to parts of the system not communicating effectively, the application and enrollment tools on HealthCare.gov was unavailable for approximately one hour.  Our tech team quickly resolved the issue and got the system back on track. The Data Services Hub remained fully operational.

We’ve made measurable progress in addressing two issues:  Improving the user experience and managing capacity shortfalls and volume.

In terms of improving the site experience, the vast majority of users will not experience the slow response times, error messages, and system outages that characterized their experience in October.  The system will not work perfectly on December 1st, but it will operate much better than it did on October 1st.

In terms of capacity, by the end of the month HealthCare.gov will be able to operate at the capacity that was originally intended: a rate of approximately 50,000 users on the site at the same time. This means the system will be able to accommodate more than 800,000 visits a day from consumers who are seeking information, filling out applications, shopping, and enrolling.

There will be times that volume on HealthCare.gov will exceed this demand, and we are preparing for that. If we experience extraordinary demand, consumers may not be immediately able to complete the application. They will be queued, in order to ensure a smoother process, and will experience some wait time.

We will continue to work every day to ensure that every American who wants it has access to these new, quality, coverage options.

This post is no longer accepting comments. If you want to learn more about the Affordable Care Act, please visit hhs.gov/healthcare. If you have question about or need assistance with health insurance enrollment, please visit https://www.healthcare.gov/contact-us/.

Comments

Submitted by Jacob on
Getting the same error for many days now.. Sorry, an error has occurred. Please try again. If that doesn't work, log out. Error ID:500.300588 Has anyone found a solution?
Submitted by Cat on
I'm also still getting the Error ID:500.300588 message. I've invested 15+ hours and 5 days in this process. Including 3 hours on the phone. (1.5 hours wait for one initial answer and 35 minutes for the first). I've even tried unsuccessfully at 0200 and 0430 CST. Is this just FL BCBS selections?
WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? "Sorry, an error has occurred. Please try again. If that doesn't work, log out. Error ID:500.300588 "
Submitted by Cynthia on
I have been trying to enroll since October 7th, 2013. I've tried and tried to enroll in an insurance policy yet I keep getting an error code # 500.300588 and no one at the Help Desk is able to tell me what this means. All they tell me to do is clear my browser cookies, sign out, and try it again ... this has been going on over two months, and I am wore out with these lame "it's a glitch" excuse. I found this site by searching the internet using the error code and find it pathetic that here on the HHC site there are many posts regarding this very error code yet no one at the Help Desk if familiar with it or why has it not been fixed if there are so many people receiving it? I read where one poster suggested to delete the current application and start over, and I suppose that is what I will have to do if I am to get enrolled. I was so excited about this program, hoping it would work, as I have not had insurance coverage for almost 10 years ... yet I have become so discouraged with all these "glitches" and uninformed personnel at the Help Desk that once I get my current application deleted I very well may not even sign back up !!
Submitted by Bobbi on
Error ID:500.300588 over and over again
Submitted by Eddy in FL on
I'm a broker here FL I have redone the application still does not work. It happens when applying for several carriers. I did find a fix by going through the carriers portal which then connects to HC.gov site. After the insurer's site successfully fetches all the eligibility results it completes the purchase on the insures site. I had two successful cases out of five. Still waiting on them to resolve this error code 500.300588. Good luck we will all need it!!!
Submitted by Leslie on
I have tried removing and starting a new Application and well still got the same message.. I think it is broken
Submitted by Leslie on
This error message is also happening to my client and it is frustrating.. The help desk is no help and the live chat is no help. The client is concerned and all I can do is just say, it will be okay. I think they should get this figured out ASAP. From what I have researched it is a capacity issue on the server end. I just don't understand how they had 3 years to figure this out and they just didn't hit the mark. heck they didn't get close to the target. If they knew there where possibly Millions of people trying to get insurance during a tight window of time with a capacity of 50,000+ people isn't going to work. I am also getting a message that sates "my application has errors that need to be corrected to continue my coverage." I have done so many of these and have no clue were the errors are and there is nothing in the eligibility results that state any conditions that apply before coverage could begin or end. So I am once again confused and trying not to look for another source of income such as a career change.
Submitted by melody on
It was also suggested to me to delete my app and start all over again, this was the advice when I called the 800 number. I did that and I am still getting the same Error ID:500.300588. He said I have until Jan 15 to get it submitted in order to start insurance on Feb 1. I keep trying every day to get it submitted and so far same error message.
Submitted by Donna on
CGI NEEDS TO BE FIRED! This is ridiculous. I have been trying to enroll since October and have and continue to receive error messages. Live Chat is useless because they can't help so you have to call into the call center and wait 20 minutes on hold for someone to answer the phone and then the only thing they can do is try to redo the application from their end, but they see the same thing you do because they are working off the same F'd up website.
Submitted by Bob on
Getting the same error for many days now..no one seems to know what to do Sorry, an error has occurred. Please try again. If that doesn't work, log out. Error ID:500.300588 Anyone figure out how to get past this successfully? No insurance now til Feb. now
Submitted by Tina on
I am caught up in this Error ID:500.300588 loop also. It seems there is no solution and I wanted to pay my premiums now. It is not submitting to the insurance company. This, after working on it, along with deciding for 3 hours! I have heard many times in the last few days on TV that all the kinks have been worked out of this website now and it is working properly. Logged off and back on, still got the error code. Seriously? We are being told everything has been fixed now.
Submitted by Pete on
I've been experiencing Error ID:500.300588 for about 18 hours now.
Submitted by Ron on
Very frustrated that the government doesn't have the ability to fix this. I have been receiving error code for over 2 weeks. I try every day multiple times a day. Have spoke with someone almost every day and have been on chat almost every day !!!! Hours upon hours upon hours........I can't believe NO ONE can help ! Even asked for a supervisor. She said (along with who I speak with everyday) "Im sorry, I can't help you".....well then WHO CAN ??? Everything is finished. I just can't get it to confirm!! And when I can't get health care by the Jan 1st (because no one will help)....all I'm going to hear is "I'm sorry, I can't help you " Very very very frustrated that this is the way our government is run !!
Submitted by Chris on
There is no deadline come January 1st. The "deadline" that the media and the Whitehouse fails to clear up is getting your healthcare plan to start on the 1st of January as opposed to the 7th or 10th depending when you paid your premium. The actual deadline for getting insured is March 31st 2014. So relax. I am also getting the same error. Rather frustrating.
Submitted by Leslie on
Okay here is how it works.. On the signs up timeframe.. December 25 to January 15 coverage will be begin on 02/01/2014.. Sign up 01/16/2014 through 02/15/2014 Coverage begins 03/01/2014. this pattern continues until march 31. As long as you make the payment on time then the coverage will begin at the start in the month after the sign up. The real problem will be every year when renewals or changing of plans happens. There is no way you can do this at the same time the Medicare.. The systems will be overloaded so maybe they should allow people to change their policies on the same month that they renew their cars tags and if you don't have a car then you last name would fall during that month..
Submitted by Jeff on
500.300588 is still an issue... the deadline is tomorrow.
Submitted by Cindy on
Has anyone who has had this error message actually finally got past the CONFIRM button without starting over? I am stuck also, but I have already started over once, and I can't do it again without duplicating.
Submitted by Carmen on
Dear Ms. Bataille. This e issue with Error Id 500.300588 is still there. I have uploaded all documents from required and they show up SUBMITTED. I'm at the page/step to confirm my plan choices and getting the below error. I have chatted and called in and they have no answer to why. Customer service has also duplicated this with my application. My concern the Dec 23 payment deadline in order to be covered 1/1/2014. I have also contacted the new dental and health plan provider and they can not look me up by my application ID (as suggested by Customer Service), yet they need my plan enrollment confirmation number. Will I be still covered by 1/1/2014? Sincerely, Carmen from Florida. Dec. 21 2013 @10:32 AM Sorry, an error has occurred. Please try again. If that doesn't work, log out. Error ID:500.300588
Submitted by Robert on
I see there have been no comments here since 12/17. I also have been experiencing Error ID:500.300588 for two days. Has anyone been able to get past this and finish their application? I was just told on chat to complete a paper application, which I really don't want to do since it will probably mean no coverage on Jan 1.
Submitted by Julie on
I have been trying since October, same error, did it over the phone, they got the same error...now still in limbo...no insurance.
Submitted by Kyle on
Robert. You just need to reset your application and do it over. I did this and got it working. It doesn't take as long as it sounds.
Submitted by Alice on
I’ve tried to finish enrollment many times over the last few months, spending hours on your web site. I get the following message at the end of the enrollment process. ""Sorry, an error has occurred. Please try again. If that doesn't work, log out."" ""Error ID:500.300588"" Ive removed the application as instructed numerous times, and reapplied, making sure to clear my cache each time. I've also tried to call the 800 number, after 2 hours of them fiddling with it they said they would call us back in a couple days
Submitted by Robert on
I have redone my application multiple times. It finally worked with a navigator and a supervisor online. My problem now that I have chosen my plan is I can not get confirmed on the final page. It is caught in a loop and nobody knows how to get past it. Error Id 500.300588 shows up and when I try again, the error message goes away, but keeps sending me to the top of the final page. Everything is finished, but it is not congratulating me nor sending any info to Aetna, my choice. I have only a few days left to get payment to them for Jan. 1st coverage. We need to get payment to them now, and nobody knows what to do. It is in the hands of the programmers and I would like an update as to what they are doing to fix it. I have chatted, navigated, supervised and more. Please fix this. I like this healthcare program, but it was poorly programmed and seems to be only getting patched way too slowly!
Submitted by mark on
I am also stuck at the plan confirmation with an error Error ID:500.300588, Worked all month to get the app done. I am at the final step and this. Very discouraging