Adding Capacity

Monday, November 25, 2013

Over the weekend, we implemented software fixes focused on enhancing the user experience, improving enrollment, and streamlining the workflow for agents, brokers and call center representatives.

Additionally, we added storage capacity in the CMS Data center. This infrastructure improvement will enable increased processing power as more users move through the system.

It’s likely that as we move forward we’ll find additional glitches and experience intermittent periods of sub-optimal performance, when the system may be slow or not responsive. Just this morning, due to parts of the system not communicating effectively, the application and enrollment tools on HealthCare.gov was unavailable for approximately one hour.  Our tech team quickly resolved the issue and got the system back on track. The Data Services Hub remained fully operational.

We’ve made measurable progress in addressing two issues:  Improving the user experience and managing capacity shortfalls and volume.

In terms of improving the site experience, the vast majority of users will not experience the slow response times, error messages, and system outages that characterized their experience in October.  The system will not work perfectly on December 1st, but it will operate much better than it did on October 1st.

In terms of capacity, by the end of the month HealthCare.gov will be able to operate at the capacity that was originally intended: a rate of approximately 50,000 users on the site at the same time. This means the system will be able to accommodate more than 800,000 visits a day from consumers who are seeking information, filling out applications, shopping, and enrolling.

There will be times that volume on HealthCare.gov will exceed this demand, and we are preparing for that. If we experience extraordinary demand, consumers may not be immediately able to complete the application. They will be queued, in order to ensure a smoother process, and will experience some wait time.

We will continue to work every day to ensure that every American who wants it has access to these new, quality, coverage options.

This post is no longer accepting comments. If you want to learn more about the Affordable Care Act, please visit hhs.gov/healthcare. If you have question about or need assistance with health insurance enrollment, please visit https://www.healthcare.gov/contact-us/.

Comments

Submitted by Megan on
Mine as well throw my two cents in... I HATE THIS! I'm getting the 500.300588 error code and I have been trying all week to do this by the deadline TODAY and still no progress. Ive spoken with 5 different people on the live chat, Ive spoken with 3 different people on the phone, Ive restarted the application 3 times, Ive tried different browsers, different computers, literally everything. And to top it all off, the Social Security Administration decides to do server maintenance, so no one can do anything, not the people over the phone not me. I just want to PAY and get some insurance! Literally, SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY! oh well, guess they don't want it.
Submitted by DeShawn on
Hey Megan did you have any luck enrolling yet? I have literally called them about 20 times and they have no idea what to do. I started my application a few days ago so that my coverage will start on March 1 and they told me I will qualify for a special enrollment period because of the errors. I called back today like instructed and they still do not know what to do.
Submitted by Marisa on
Came to this website to find answers and just got more discouraged reading all the comments from people who experience the same thing. Filling out the application was relatively easy and after a couple of hours and a few minor glitches was very pleased to get an eligibility determination and a great plan. However for the past 2 days have been trying to make it through the last step and enroll but I keep getting the same error message. I log on, log off, early in the morning, late at night and all through the day without success. I have not tried starting over because that just doesn't make sense to me. I assume will not make the deadline for March coverage. Such a shame. I have spoken to several people through the live chats and over the phone and it is striking how ineffective they are but they all recite the same apologies. I actually asked one if they were a robot. What to do?
Submitted by BK Insurance in Ohio on
I have the dreaded error code. Out of the 3 dozen applications online this is the first occurrence of the dreaded error code. Hard earned money at work....
Submitted by Jon on
I filled out application yesterday for my daughter. All went well and pretty quick. Then when I hit CONFIRM, I got the Error ID 500.300588. Logged out and logged in and got the same error. I contacted the CHAT line and they said to log out and log in. Same result. Next CHAT guy said to reboot my computer ( what? I have been in computers for 35 years and to have to reboot for this type of application error, I scratched my head). Anyway, I tried it as "why else would he ask if he had not had success doing so". Failed again. I then called the 800 # and was surprised yo get a live person in 3-5 minutes. After 30 minutes, he said he would have to enter a NEW plan and he would be happy to do it while I stayed on the line. Oops, line disconnected. I called again and got another technical support person who also took 30 minutes to tell me she would have to delete our current application and start again. So after another 30 minutes, she hit CONFIRM. I was amazed that it only took and hour for her to get the same #$!@#$@ error code. I gave up after she gave me what must have been the 100th apology of the day. Wish I had a dine for each won and I could pay my daughters insurance out of pocket. Oh wait, I am doing that now as she can't afford the Texas high risk pool which is ALSO being cancelled and she will have no insurance come end of March. Signed on this AM and her application had been deleted, but account still worked. Result is the same error code ERROR ID 500.300588. According to the threads, this error has been around since October. I called my Congressman's office just to air my beef and make sure he was aware. Burgess is his name, North Texas. One of his helpful staff members came on quickly and suggested that maybe if I deleted my daughters account completely and started from the beginning, it would work. She had heard that had worked a few times. Maybe I will try that. I am sure that the real health care provided will be so much better- NOT.
Submitted by Kat on
"Sorry, an error has occurred. Please try again. If that doesn't work, log out. Error ID:500.300588 " I've dealt with issue after issue after issue for the last three months. I've invested more hours in this website than the creators have I swear. First it wouldn't let me through, then it wouldn't let me fill out the forms, then it wouldn't let me set up an account, then it wouldn't register as being set up, and then I finally got through and filled the forms out....and they said I don't qualify which was an obvious mistake as there's not a chance I make too much. So I got to take to the phone's after spending 3 hours with several different representatives I was told several different contradicting answers to the problems. I don't make enough to qualify for it, I make too much, I didn't claim the right people, or I can't claim my children as dependents...after all it had to be one of those things right? Then they told me they couldn't help me, because they can't get into the website either. Finally I gave up for a couple weeks, now I'm back, refilled out the information was accepted this time (oh I was so excited), then I went to pick a plan and an error code came up asking me to log out, so I did...again and again. Took a break came back, picked out a plan, got to the confirmation of your enrollment part then BAM! "Sorry, an error has occurred. Please try again. If that doesn't work, log out. Error ID:500.300588 " over and over and over again. I ask the online help what to do...well I can call up the number and chill on hold for another couple hours, redo everything over the phone and hope it works... I ask what the error code means... they don't know... I ask if it's a common problem...they don't know... WHY DO WE PAY THE PEOPLE WHO ARE RUNNING THE SITE?! If world of warcraft can withstand over 10 million users worldwide playing an extremely server taxing site why can't our government make an extremely basic website work? It's not like it's impossible, as every tax season it happens to the irs website.
Submitted by Chuck on
Thank you much for being so thorough in explaining your experience. Just today, I have a client (I’m a licensed/certified broker) who could have written for you, the same experience. After many attempts and several re-applications, we are stuck with error code: 500.300588. At this time, the help desk only has the same tired steps for success. In fact, they cannot even provide assurance that because of the technical malise, they will absolutely grant a March 1st effective date, because even they are unable to conquer the problematic system. If we have any success, I will follow up with you. Thank you again!
Submitted by landon on
Seriously what is Error ID:500.300588 ???
Submitted by Keith Glidewell on
Getting closer. Error ID: 500.000999 Are these documented somewhere? Tried "Search" on the site and got nothing. "Sorry, an error has occurred. Please try again. If that doesn't work, log out."
Submitted by Sherry on
Thank God I am not alone. Error message 500.300588. I have now done 5 applications. Also I don't know if any of you noticed this or not but between the time I did my first application and the third application the BCBS policy changed the deductibles and out of pocket amounts. The first one was $200 individual and $600 out of pocket total and now it is $725 and $1500 out of pocket. I promise it is the same exact plan I have it printed out. I guess BCBS figured out they were getting screwed. I have talked to at least 8 or 9 claim representatives. I have spoken to two supervisors and live chat with two people. I am now capable of getting a job at healthcare.gov as I know all the answers. I apologize that you are incurring these issues. We are working to resolve these issues in a timely manner and are reporting these error messages to our IT team. You may remove your application and start a new one this is the only suggestion we have at this time. Is there anything else I can help you with? REALLY ARE YOU KIDDING?
Did you modify your income or dependent information, even just slightly?
Submitted by Mohammed on
I have been trying to get enrolled since 12/12/2013 I go through all sets fine, at the end when I click confirm, after few minutes I get this error message,(see below). I have taken the following steps but still have been unable to enroll. I have called customer services - they don't know what is error code means or what to do, talk to live chat person they don't know what this error code means. I have removed and started my application 5 times now and I still get the same error code. I believe that the session is timing out before it can send and receive information. WHERE IS THE IT or TECH SUPPORT? :Sorry, an error has occurred. Please try again. If that doesn't work, log out. Error ID:500.300588
Submitted by Terra on
Well it's the 15th of January and I've tried mutltiple times on different computers, incognito, Chrome, IE and I get he same error. I did live chat with absolutely no help other than to tell me to add the dental, then remove it so it would go through. So close and yet so far away. I've been on hold now for 40 minutes and when I called it was 20. I really wanted to get our insurance started this month, doesn't look like that's going to happen. Fix this error: 500.300588
Submitted by Moin on
I too have been getting the same error: Error ID:500.300588 All documentation has been "SUBMITTED" per healthcare.gov. But the above error code shows up in the last step when clicking "CONFIRM". Any idea when this would be fixed? Customer reps says to restart application, but can't guarantee that the error will go away...Any suggestions? Customer service agents on the phone are unable to help.
Submitted by Charlie on
Here we are on Jan. 10, and still getting the dreaded 500.300588 on confirmation of plan. Not just one but several applications for several different people. The inability to fix this known bug is sad, as there are people out there who really need this insurance, and they can't get it.
Submitted by Mary Way on
It is never ending with this site. Just once I wish I could actually do what I need to do and be done! I am never, EVER, able to finish my enrollment due to this annoying error message. Another example of our hard earned $$ @ work! Ha Ha!
Submitted by Kathleen on
I too am getting that same error message. I have started over 5 times. Called three times, "Chatted" with someone multiple times...so far no help. Everyone is very nice but no one has an answer.
Submitted by I wish... on
y'all pick up the damn phone
Submitted by Good Job on
This was such a wonderful idea to have insurance that no one can sign up for.
Submitted by PissedCustomer on
Apparently you don't want people to pay for insurance? Fix this error or hire more people to work at the phones because the people working at the healthcare website are about as helpful as a donkey in New York City. (I've been working on this damn website 5 hours, been on hold for 3 more, and live chafed 6 people, so I'm delirious.) Sorry, an error has occurred. Please try again. If that doesn't work, log out. Error ID:500.000999
Submitted by Leslie on
I have been getting this error code and have tried everything. Removing and reloading app did not change a thing yet I did one last night and it went through with out error code. So someone tell me what to do with the one that has the 500.300588... Help
Submitted by Naveen on
I am also getting Error ID:500.300588 This is such a shame, it's like being a Redskins fan. You want to believe but you know what going to happen...
Submitted by Richard E Velez on
Error ID:500.300588 I want to pay my insurance, and I keep getting this error Error ID:500.300588 Seems like many customers are getting this error. May you please FIX IT!
Yep same error code id 500.300588 called 1st time tech told me to upload paper document, but it doesn't work. Can someone please show me how to do this, what type of file? will it take a .jpg file .tif or what? Called again on hold for 2 HOURS idiots still don't know what's going on.
Submitted by Leslie on
Did you get an answer to this.. This is also happening to me and I even removed the app and re-loaded it and still got it. help???