What’s Working in the Marketplace: The Data Services Hub

Saturday, October 26, 2013

To give Americans a better way to shop for health coverage, the federal government and states recently launched Health Insurance Marketplaces.  Yesterday, we announced a clear path forward so that by the end of November, HealthCare.gov will work smoothly for the vast majority of consumers. But you probably haven’t heard about the Data Services Hub which serves as a critical resource for the Marketplaces, both state and federal.  The Hub is a tool to help you and your family get affordable, quality health care.

What Is the Hub?

The Hub is a routing tool – an information sharing tool. It is an efficient and secure way to rapidly verify the information submitted by consumers seeking a determination of what coverage options and financial assistance are available to them.

You see, one of the great things about the new Marketplaces, which are getting better every day, is that through them, you can apply for health coverage, and check to see if you and your family may qualify for lower premiums, or for Medicaid or the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP).  But that one-stop shopping is possible only if information can be shared quickly, accurately, and securely.

The Hub provides one connection to the common federal data sources needed to verify consumer application information for income, citizenship, immigration status, access to minimum essential coverage, etc.

What the Hub Is Not

It’s important to understand that the Hub is not a database.  It doesn’t retain or store information.  And the Hub queries only those systems necessary to determine your eligibility for what you apply for.  It is a model of efficiency and security because it eliminates the need for each Marketplace, state Medicaid agency, and CHIP agency to set up separate data connections to each of the systems that are in place to help you and your family.

How Many People Has It Helped?

As of yesterday, nearly 700,000 Americans had completed an application through the Marketplaces – more than half of them through the federal Marketplace.  This does not count applications directly to Medicaid and CHIP agencies that also can use the Hub.

A few more stats of note:

• State-based Marketplaces and the Federal Marketplace are getting real time and accurate eligibility determinations from the Data Services Hub in less than 1.2 seconds.
  • The Social Security Administration has reported 4.2 million transactions involving individuals or households who have elected to establish an account.  The current overall verification rate for Social Security numbers is 96%.  With respect to those we’re unable to verify, consumers are notified online with instructions for resolving their verification issues.  The highest numbers of transactions continues to involve individuals and households in the following states:  Pennsylvania (323,000), New York (310,000), California (290,000), West Virginia (240,000), and Washington (135,000).
  • The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has received and responded to more than 1.3 million requests for historical household income and family size tax data from the hub.  The number of requests received does not reflect the number of people about whom the requests were made (i.e., a single request can involve everyone in a household).  Thus, the number of individuals about whom the requests were made could be higher than 1.3 million.  The IRS has provided data responses electronically via the hub in “near-real” time (average actual response time is 0.37 seconds).
  • The IRS also offers an advance premium tax credit computation service, which is optional for state Marketplaces.  If a Marketplace chooses to use the IRS service, it sends a few data points, without identifying the applicant, and the IRS provides a math result in response. More than 330,000  requests have been received for the computation service with an average actual response time of 0.21 seconds.

States are reporting that they are satisfied with the hub’s performance.  The technology program manager for Kentucky’s Marketplace said recently that 92% of applicants have been successfully verified through the hub: “We’re overjoyed with that 92 percent.  I don’t know that we thought it would be that high of a success rate.”  Connecticut has also reported few problems with the hub.

Bottom Line

The Hub is a 21st century way to assess eligibility for coverage and premium assistance, and it’s working for residents of all 50 states and DC.  We’ll continue to monitor and optimize its performance.  And we won’t stop working 24/7 until the doors of HealthCare.gov are wide open.  If you need health coverage, it’s our mission to be sure these tools are here for you, running smoothly.  The Hub is on the job, and so are we.

Comments

My daughter and I will lose coverage March 31, 2014
Submitted by Susan on
Is there a way to see what information they have on me on this HUB?
Submitted by John Weiler, IT-Acquisition Advisory Council on
I am delighted to see the president and his top IT advisers come together to help bring this effort forward. As executive director of the IT Acquisition Advisory Council (IT-AAC.org), we have seen many challenges in federal IT that put the blame incorrectly on our dedicated public servants. The key to success is an inter-operable solution architecture that is informed by industry standards and best practices. This did not happen due to mis-use of FFRDC resources like Mitre whose expertise is not alligned with the job they were doing. Fix this, and everything else will fall in place.
Submitted by Sally on
When will Healthcare.gov correct the Medicaid black hole? I was able to receive an account on Healthcare.gov. I then received a message that erroneously stated that my application was being submitted to medicaid. I was a medicaid eligibility worker so I know, for a fact, that I am not eligible for medicaid. This could have been determined if the application had asked about resources since medicaid eligibility is determined by income and resources. I am also not eligible for SSD. I paid for it but not during the time period our great congress decided I needed to. What do I do now? I just want to know what plans I am eligible for and not sit in limbo because I was placed into the medicaid eligibility bucket. The Live Chat person was unable to answer my question. How do I see what plans that I am eligible for before I lose my existing insurance policy on 12/31/2013?
Submitted by jules on
Why do I get a white screen of death when I ask to see my progress verification page ?
Submitted by JoePublic on
I signed up via The Marketplace. On 10/14/13 I downloaded my 12-page enrollment letter from the marketplace website. The letter told me the next step was to contact the insurer I selected so that I can get the policy documentation,etc. Sounds easy right? Not. Dozens of phone calls to PA Independence BC/BS and many Marketplace Live Chats later yielded nothing but absolute runarounds. BC/BS says they can't help me because I signed up via The Marketplace. The Marketplace tells me they have nothing to do with the insurers and that I need to call my state's health insurance administration.So when will I get insurance? The cost of my COBRA premium just went up by $75 per month beginning 1/2014.
Submitted by Allen on
You brag about THE HUB-- yet My account STILL is not "verified" after 3 WEEKS! How long do we have to continue to wait? Yes, I uploaded my driver license. Yes, I mailed it to Kentucky too.
Submitted by Tina on
If you're in Kentucky, why aren't you going through Kynect? Their exchange is working well, I hear.
Submitted by clyde on
The liars and pollititions are working.... bout it.The current overall verification rate for Social Security numbers is 96%. With respect to those we’re unable to verify, consumers are notified online with instructions for resolving their verification issues. I havent been.....
Submitted by clyde on
For id verify it said succeded when i uploaded dl pic but only showed 1 byte. Waiting for verify email i guess but according to the one i got they didnt get the doc. It was the right file type so i assume the uploader isnt working.... so no subsidy info.....
Submitted by Prasad on
What in the world wrong with you guys? If something is not working what's the point in trying 100 times? You have 6 months of your life to get a coverage! Is there a competition here who enrolls first, do you get rewarded? It's like you are trying to switch on and off lights or switching on TV, when there is no electricity :) Have some patience, these are human built systems bound to create problems and get it fixed. my 2 cents! PR
Submitted by tracy on
Your 2 cents are pointless! Obviously you have never had a health issue, had your insurance leave the state so you are loosing coverage, have a family, and could in up in hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical bills in the matter of a "few months" or else you would be a little more sensitive to millions of American's who fall into my category. So, I would recommend saving your 2 cents because without coverage you might need it.
Submitted by JimR on
Sebelius you are full of baloney! You don't have a clue and have no capability to manage this program. Did you know your site refuses to communicate with Apple Safari? Did you know that most people I have spoken with who tried to use your expensive failure have 3 or 4 login names like me? Each of us has probably tried 100 times or more by now with no success. We also call and submit an application by phone telling us we will be contacted by the insurers, but they never call or email! Did you know BCBS GA only started receiving data Thursday October 31st by Excel spreadsheet? Huh? Are you kidding me? A state with 10 million people and there are so few it is on a spreadsheet? Did you ever think of rolling it out state by state to relieve the congestion?
Submitted by Jim R. on
I submitted an application and it was accepted. My application status says Initial Enrollment. No one has contacted me from Blue Cross Blue Shield. I called them and they say they have not received my information. The Healthcare.gov agents say it is now out of their hands once sent to BCBS. No one can tell me whether I should submit a new application or not. What should I do? I am one of those rare people who will be saving a tremendous amount of money each month and I don't want to miss it! Help!
Submitted by kathleen on
I am having the same problem with Blue Shield - something is going on here - I think Blue Shield is consciously rejecting marketplace enrollment to try to drive people into more expensive premium policies. I too am enrolled and Highmark Blue Shield has done everything imaginable to try and not give me that enrollment. On October 28, Highmark Blue Shield told me it had received the e-file and I would be getting a welcome letter. On November 7, it is saying that it can't find the enrollment and called healthcare.gov and I don't have an application. My application and enrollment has been verified by me and also Advanced Resolutions at Medicare (3) times, and Blue Shield still will not except this. Someone at Health and Human Resources or the State Insurance Commission need to investigate Blue Shield I am pursuing both. I feel at this point Blue Shield has a hidden agenda. It is rejecting marketplace enrollment and thinks the consumer is stupid and is not realizing it.
Submitted by Sally on
Submitted by sally on
It's a joke and you don't have to be smart to know that. Why would you not test the site like hundreds of times before starting it up? You are the leaders and my 13 year old could lead better than you guys! I was raised democrat too, and this president is not Democrat. Welcome to hell, please wait for the government to wipe your butt in this line...
Submitted by Bill R. on
Thanks for the update. Keep up the good work for America's uninsured.
Submitted by An American on
I've got a better idea. Why don't you stick to doing the few things the federal government is supposed to do according to the enumerated powers in The Constitution.
Submitted by Aldora on
I have been waiting for over 5 years to get affordable healthcare. I am in my 60's and have a pre-existing condition. Five years ago the cheapest health insurance policy that I could get was $883.00 per month. Two weeks ago I got a Silver Policy for $64.42 per month. I live in Ohio. I have been a Democrat all my life. Thank God that Obama fought and keeps fighting for us the middle class, the poor, the elderly.
Submitted by Kat on
Maybe I should leave NC and move to Ohio. I have and will lose a policy that fits my personal needs because of Obamacare. I too am in my 60's and my premium went from $211.00 monthly to $596.00 monthly for a new BRONZE plan. Obviously this will not be affordable for me. I hope for all of us losers in the game there will be as many winners.
Submitted by Mike on
How much is your deductible? I checked on a silver plan for my wife and I and it is 20% less coverage for $350.00 more dollars a month. We will be paying more than $1000 a month for less coverage.
Submitted by Mark on
How will the government protect consumers from healthcare providers who offer misleading healthcare plans? Does the average consumer get the level of coverage as a citizen of Camada does?
Submitted by gary on
This is wonderful news. This should be available to all "Breaking News" reports. Everyone needs to get off of Healthcare.go v. and move on!
Submitted by Jerry on
Did Secretary Sebelius really write this.... Or was it written by an aide and then vetted through all channels including the whitehouse? I get the politics behind her name being the author, but this as written sounds very different from when I've heard her speak. Why not increase trust by having a more technical person - like the one that wrote the first draft of this blog post - explain the data hub? Also "Mollom"... What's Mollom?