Doing Better: Making Improvements to HealthCare.gov

Sunday, October 20, 2013

Over the past two and a half weeks, millions of Americans visited HealthCare.gov to look at their new health care options under the Affordable Care Act. In that time, nearly half a million applications for coverage have been submitted from across the nation. This tremendous interest – with over 19 million unique visits to date to HealthCare.gov– confirms that the American people are looking for quality, affordable health coverage, and want to find it online.

Unfortunately, the experience on HealthCare.gov has been frustrating for many Americans.  Some have had trouble creating accounts and logging in to the site, while others have received confusing error messages, or had to wait for slow page loads or forms that failed to respond in a timely fashion. The initial consumer experience of HealthCare.gov has not lived up to the expectations of the American people. We are committed to doing better.

Aside from the difficulties since launching the site, there are parts of the overall system that have proved up to the task.  The “Data Hub,” component, which provides HealthCare.gov with information that aids in determining eligibility for qualified health plans, is working.  Individuals have been able to verify their eligibility for credits, enabling them to shop for and enroll in low or even no-cost health plans.

WHAT HAPPENED – WHAT WE ARE WORKING ON

Since launch, when we first recognized these issues, we have been working around the clock to make improvements.  We have updated the site several times with new code that includes bug fixes that have greatly improved the HealthCare.gov experience. The initial wave of interest stressed the account service, resulting in many consumers experiencing trouble signing up, while those that were able to sign up sometimes had problems logging in.

In response, we have made a number of improvements to the account service.  Initially, we implemented a virtual “waiting room,” but many found this experience to be confusing.  We continued to add more capacity in order to meet demand and execute software fixes to address the sign up and log in issues, stabilizing those parts of the service and allowing us to remove the virtual “waiting room.”  Today, more and more individuals are successfully creating accounts, logging in, and moving on to apply for coverage and shop for plans.  We're proud of these quick improvements, but we know there's still more work to be done. We will continue to conduct regular maintenance nearly every night to improve the experience.

TECH SURGE

To ensure that we make swift progress, and that the consumer experience continues to improve, our team has called in additional help to solve some of the more complex technical issues we are encountering.

Our team is bringing in some of the best and brightest from both inside and outside government to scrub in with the team and help improve HealthCare.gov.  We're also putting in place tools and processes to aggressively monitor and identify parts of HealthCare.gov where individuals are encountering errors or having difficulty using the site, so we can prioritize and fix them.  We are also defining new test processes to prevent new issues from cropping up as we improve the overall service and deploying fixes to the site during off-peak hours on a regular basis.

Most importantly, we want to hear from you, and make sure that your experience with HealthCare.gov is a positive one.  If you have any comments, either complimentary or critical, please let us know by sharing your feedback at https://www.healthcare.gov/connect/.  We've already heard so many stories of individuals getting health insurance for the first time, and we are dedicated to making that possible for all Americans.

Comments

Submitted by Debbie on
This site is RIDICULOUS! My account says it is approved, but yet when I try to sign in I get the message that it is invalid. You can't call the 'help' number as they are of absolutely NO help. They ask, 'have you been watching the news?" Well, duh, of couse. And, then I get a response each time I have call; "I can't help you as I don't have access to the site because it has shutdown." But, I'm able to still get on the 'site.' What kind of bull are these so called people hired to answer questions that they CANNOT answer. Where are the people who got on this site and were successfull? I don't see any of there comments on here. And, I cannot go physically to 'apply' on paper. What is the purpose of ocmpleting this online if more people have to go physically apply with paper and pen and mail it in. You paid how many hundreds of millions of dollars to people that had no idea what they are doing and now we as taxpayers will have to absorb this cost due to the inadequacy of our top government officials hiring incompetent people!
Submitted by denise on
submitting by Denise Fri, 2013-10-25-1245 I FINISH THE ONLINE APPLICATION IT SAID ITS COMPLETE VIEW YOUR ELIGIBILTY.WONT LET ME GET THREW VERY VERY FRUSTRANTING YOU DO WHAT YOUR SUPPOSED TO DO AND GET AGGRAVATION , I THINK THEY SHOULD MAKE THIS ALOT MORE EASIER FOR THE PEOPLE IAM GOING TO GIVE UP AND JUST DONT BOTHER WITH THIS ANYMORE I THINK ITSTINKS
Submitted by stevie on
does Obama have a Cadillac plan???
Submitted by Joe bag of donuts on
why did 300,000 in Florida get their insurance cancelled? Was in a coincidence that it happened shortly after launch of Obama care? Is the health of these people unimportant ..... comrade?
Submitted by Tammie on
I filled out my application weeks ago, received a response letter telling my to choose and enroll in a plan on the marketplace here in AZ. However, there is no link or page to click on from my profile page to enroll in coverage....so guess if I get penalized it will come out of governments pocket.
Submitted by Bob on
I am scared. My insurance plan will not be renewed. I cannot sign up for Obama's insurance. What will I do??
Submitted by JAMES on
I HEARD SOME OF THE CONTRACTORS TESTIFYING BEFORE CONGRESS THAT ORIGINALLY BEFORE FILLING OUT THE APPLICATION YOU WERE GOING TO BE ABLE TO SEE THE PRICES AND DETAILS OF ALL THE PLANS IN ALL THE STATES BUT THEY CHANGED THAT. THE CONTRACTOR CGI SAID THEY CAN FLIP A SWITCH AND MAKE THAT INFORMATION AVAILABLE TO EVERYONE. I SAY FLIP THE SWITCH. I THINK IT WILLTAKE SOME OF THE PRESSURE OFF FOR PEOPLE JUST BROWSING. THEN IF ARE ELIGIBLE FOR SUBSIDIES GO FILL OUT AN APPLICATION. ALSO, I HAVE WENT DIRECTLY TO THE INSURANCE COMPANIES IN MY STATE AND THEY SAY THEY DO NOT HAVE THE INFORMATION ON THE PLANS THEY WILL SELLING ON THE EXCHANGE. ALSO, WARN PEOPLE THAT THE INSURANCE COMPANIES NETWORKS WILL BE LIMITED ON THESE EXCHANGE PLANS. BY SOME COMPANIES
Submitted by ROGER on
I CALLED ON THE 800 NUMBER AND I ANSWERED ALL THE QUESTIONS THAT THE PERSON ASKED ON THE APPLICATION AND THEY SAID THEY WERE PUTTING THE APPLICATION IN THE COMPUTER. APPLICATION WAS COMPLETED ON 10-09-2013. DO YOU HAVE A TIME FRAME WHEN THE APPLICATION WILL BE PROCESSED. ALSO, I CREATED AN ACCOUNT BEFORE 10-1 WITH USER NAME AND PASSWORD BUT CAN NEVER GET INTO ACCOUNT
Submitted by francine on
Now after giving you all my personal information I find out that your website isn't secure!!!?? Great job Sebelius. You are so fired !!!!!
Submitted by francine on
Why didn't we have the "best and the brightest" to begin with ?
Submitted by steve on
I was able to finally connect to summit my application but now i'm unable to login for the past 2 weeks to look at and choose my health insurance. I've called many times and even had advance resolution center call me back but they were still unable to get me to login. I've been locked out of my account as they say and they can't unlock me. What do you do now?
Submitted by Jeannette on
Tried every day since Oct. 1. Nothing different since day one. It's hard for me to believe or have confidence in this process. I have been uninsured since my husband retired over a year ago.
Submitted by Martha on
I have tried repeatedly to actually create a profile on the marketplace. Because I live in Missouri I must use the federal one, as there isn't one for the state. I have even succeeded in creating a login that works (after more than one false start) except that, after it accepts the login information, it goes to a totally blank page and stops. The page it goes to indicates (by the url) that it is supposed to be my "user profile" but there is absolutely nothing there. I have tried at different times of the day (and night) and on weekends, but nothing else comes up. Should I start over yet again???
Submitted by Marina in Florida on
I don't understand why I have to verify myself to you ACA when I supplied the system with my SS# and it still can't verify who I am.... Funny how it wants me to allow the government 5 more years of access to of my personal information when they already have it! I have paid my taxes for over 35 plus years so if the “IRS” aka "KGB " now, knows more about me then I do. To give the IRS/KGB more power over me is outrages to me. I will not PDF my Birth Certificate or my Driver license or my Social Security Card or any other importance information to the ACA for hacker to use and ruin what little credit I have left after the death of my husband in 2010. This information will not ever be sent via the internet.... Until this system is fix and the prices of Insurance premiums go down drastically… I personally think the fine is better than paying the crazy insurance premiums that the insurance industries what me to pay just for 1 person over the age of 50…. $595.49per month or $7145.88per year this is for the bronze plan with less care for me who has had cancer twice in my life time is out of the question….. This premiums is over half of my total income per year ($16,430.28 my income)….I can’t afford the governments health care plan… can anyone afford it really.
Submitted by Sam on
I have been attempting to get through the system since you opened Healtchare.gov. I have completed an application, and have a copy of being approved for eligibility. However, I have a trail of tears of every imaginable obstacle and roadblock in the software to complete enrollment. Currently, the system will only allow me to log in, but when I attempt to get insurance, it always links back to application and denies any ability to look at the different plans and obviously, My current insurance lapses on Dec. 31, 2013. Since I have to purchase my own insurance, I have been trying to buy from ACA system. I will be without insurance effective Jan. 1, 2014 if I can't buy insurance. I have paid my taxes since I was 15 years old, and have never taken a penny from any government program. I added up my taxes over the years and have paid over $1.2 million in taxes not counting my social security. I have built over 1/2 dozen companies and created about 1,500 jobs in my life time. I am now 63, with Diabetes and no insurance company will insure even though my Diabetes are managed extremely well. My last hope for insurance was the ACA. I am being let down by my government, with the top directors such as Kathleen Sebelius either sugar coating the problem, or in na na land. Unfortunately, while the ACA is noble, the people out front are pathetic leaders and managers. My single biggest disappointment is what our HHS Director has stated in the public over the last week. Ms. Sebilus actually either believes what she is saying or thinks either its not her responsibility or the I am the dumbest person on the planet to believe her absurd photo ops. Please, please at least contact the folks by phone proactively and help them complete the sign up, instead of continuing with worn out excuses and laughable statements about who has signed up. You won't even share with us the ACTUAL NUMBER that have been able to successfully confirmed a new insurance program. Sincerely Sam Finkelstein 330.284.3264
Submitted by John on
Managed to create account weeks ago but my profile shows the state I live in as blank. I use the edit button but it always returns with "warning. your changes have not been saved". Also when I click on verify identity it says page does not exist. As a result of the above I can go no further with the application process. An edit button that does not work and a link to nowhere...... come on now
Submitted by Joe Nichols on
Such a collassol failure of Government! How could anybody in their right mind have any faith in such a system as this, that could effectively take care of anybody's health, especially if it were life-threatening. Everyone connected to the implementation of this system should be "sacked," starting at the very. Top!
Submitted by Konrad on
How do you define "income" if you are retired? For example, if I have a 401(K) account with $500,000, I can choose how much to withdraw each year. If I limit my withdrawals to 4% per year, I will have an "income" of $20,000. That's way below the poverty level but with half a million in savings, I could hardly be considered "poor". How do you define "income"? Thx,
Submitted by john on
This site is a joke
Submitted by Mark on
Obama has lied so many times, I've lost count ... Here's one, "you can keep your insurance," so explain to the American people why 100s of thousand of people are loosing their insurance.
Important: Your account couldn't be created at this time. Call the Marketplace Call Center at 1-800-318-2596. TTY users should call 1-855-889-4325. I have tried since the beginning of October to sign up for insurance. This message above is what I get after submitting the 3 security questions and 3 security answers. I get the same message every time. What is going on? How can I sign up for insurance by the deadline if I keep getting this message?
Submitted by Cynthia on
I were asked to send proof of identy. I sent a copy of my passport three weeks ago to them by mail and still they have not let me continue with the application.
Submitted by Joyce on
Just let us see the plans, what is covered and what are the costs, without signing up for an account. Any shopping site I visit shows me the products and costs. They don't collect my "info" until I decide to buy something and "check out"
Submitted by Donetta Midkiff on
Although it's been a long pain-staking process, I have created an account, applied for coverage & recevied confirmation of my application & advised of my nexts steps: choose coverage. However, my options for family coverage have never been made available & after a week of not being able to login, today I can access the site - but I no longer see my pending application, and of course the options for coverages are still not available.
Submitted by Dani DeGennaro B.S. R.T. (R) on
I was just denied my reapplication through Medicaid my insurance and my child ends oct. 31. When I filled out your application I said we were on Medicaid. There is nowhere to change until nov 15. If you see I am on Medicaid you may assume I continue to be eligible for Medicaid which is not true. As there are no changes in Texas. So now I am without coverage from Medicaid and can not get the results from you for four days so far now. When I call for help they read from a script. It is impossible.