HealthCare.gov: Improving the Account Registration Process

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

We continue to improve the overall user experience each week on HealthCare.gov, so that by the end of November the site will be functioning smoothly for the vast majority of users.

As you know, one of the places we’ve seen a lot of consumer frustration is in their ability to successfully create an account.  This issue was identified on October 1 and we’ve made significant progress since then to deliver a much smoother process for consumers.

In combination, the following fixes are allowing users to successfully create an account and be able to continue through the application process.  We can now process nearly 17,000 account registrants per hour – or five per second – with an error rate near zero:

• We replaced the virtual database with a high-capacity physical one, which allowed more efficient, effective processing and significantly reduced the error rates, or account registration failures;
  • We’ve optimized software configurations to increase efficiency in system interactions;
  • We added capacity by doubling the number of servers;
  • We swapped out a directory component for another that can process more transactions simultaneously;
  • We improved the efficiency of database look-ups through software changes;
  • And we pushed through a patch release with four software fixes to address users that were having a hard time logging in to their accounts.

We are moving through the rest of our punch list to make more performance and functionality improvements as our work to improve HealthCare.gov continues.

Thanks to these fixes, people across the nation are shopping for and signing up for coverage. Deborah L., a New Hampshire native, enrolled online for a plan that “will save us hundreds of dollars each month. It has better coverage, lower deductibles, and lower copays.”  She says she “couldn’t be happier.”

To hear Deborah’s story visit: http://www.hhs.gov/healthcare/facts/blog/2013/10/affordable-coverage-deborah.html

Comments

Submitted by sue on
I get to the same stop each time and it just stops, it asks, does my daughter have a parent living in the same state where she attends school.. I click yes and nothing,, stops at that point each times,,, Ive been trying since Oct 1st, approx. 20 times now and still cant complete the application ! VERY FRUSTRATED
Submitted by Susan on
Buttons do not work My plans & programs Eligibility & appeals Applications details Report a life change Communication preferences Authorized users
Submitted by Kathleen on
When are you going to fix the security question part of the account set up process? I answer 3 different questions with 3 different answers and I can't set up an account because "2 or more of my answers are the same".
Submitted by Greg on
I had the same security question problem for days. It kept coming back as "cannot have two or more answers cannot be same". I think you may find the problem not in the security question but in the password. In my case I had used something in the password that should not have been used. Example is the "?". If you use that it will not reject it at the password, but will give you the rejection at the next security questions. When I took the "?" out of the password, it worked first time and I was able to create an account.
Submitted by Bill on
Do males really need to be covered for Maternity and Pediatrics? Or am I just misinformed?
Submitted by Karen on
I created an account about 2 weeks ago after trying to get on for a while with no success . Once my account was created I saw my options and narrowed it own to three plans.(why you can't see the options before you have to create an account is a mystery to me) Last night I made my decision and tried to log on, but the system was down all night. Today I have been trying to log on with no success. I put in my id and password, hit enter and it just keeps showing the log in page Very frustrating. Who were the Rhodes Scholars who developed this system?
Submitted by subi on
its working now. I am able to sign in..i tried to get the forgot password and userid features and thats working :). able to go thru the application process. I can tell its improving day by day. but i see sometime the functionality is not working like CONTINUE button not working when click on it. things like that. but i am sure this will be fixed by Nov. 30.
Submitted by farmer jeff on
have been stuck at identity verified for 2 weeks after uploading driver license. there is no way to notify anyone of this other than this forum and why can't they respond to an email account as to status of verify id? tried calling 800 # but they claimed they can't check it out. fix this soon please.
Submitted by Louise on
The latest update is from 10/29/13. What was done yesterday since the system was down almost all day. BTW I am a supporter, but I want the system to work and I want the Admn & HHS to do a better job of messaging to the PUBLIC. You have given fodder to the hypocritical GOP to pretend to care about Americans. We have to get the polls up for the President & for the Admn. I see that many new people from other tech co are coming on board. Just bringing on multiple people, without a good command structure that clearly identifies roles, responsibilities, overall review schedules, with appropriate heiarchy etc. does not in itself improve the product/deliverable. Weekly there should be an overall update through mainstream & cable media of the status of the system & system fixes. Are you seeing the comments that were entered today.. Who is driving this ship. How can what are minor problems NOT be fixed in a MONTH. Com'on get it together.
Submitted by Nick on
Since the call center specialists did not keep their promise and did not call me back in 2 business days, and that two weeks in a row, I decided to create a brand new account. Nothing seems to have changed, compared to the accounts created earlier in October. Apart from a number of bugs that do not seem to be blocking, at this time I am blocked by the following error: At the start of the application, I agreed to the privacy agreement by checking the checkbox. I then completed all of the questions up to the confirmation. At the last screen, I received the familiar message: "You're almost finished with your application You have started an application for health coverage, but our verification system is temporarily unavailable. Without completing verification, you cannot submit your application for an eligibility determination. We will save your information and expect to resolve the problem within 24 hours. When you return, please review your entire application from beginning to end in order to receive your online eligibility results" In actuality, I can see in the JSON post "updatePersonFromEIDM" right after the confirmation (as seen in Firebug) that the Key "termsAccepted" has the value "False". At the same time, when we restart the application, the Privacy agreement checkbox is grey (disabled) and unchecked, so I cannot check it (again). This seems to be a blocking error. The system saves about half of the information. The other half of the information needs to be re-entered every time the application is restarted. I hope this helps.
Submitted by Pamela on
I have been getting this same message since March 16th 2014. Did you ever find a way around it? the call center is getting the same message when they try to push my app through.
Submitted by Lena on
I have been registered for quite a while and got all the way through to "View Eligibility Results." I don't have any trouble logging in. But when I click to review my results, I get a blank screen: https://www.healthcare.gov/ee-rest/auth/WI/en_US/DocumentManagementEE/DocumentFromECM?fileIdentifier=null There has been no improvement on this for a while. I don't know why some people are able to complete the process (Deborah's story), while my application remains stuck. Any help would be appreciated. Waiting patiently since I know that once it's working, it will only take a few minutes to enroll.
Submitted by Emily on
Very, Very disappointing and frustrating experience. We have an account now, but cannot move through the steps of the application due to the website getting "stuck" in processing each step. I cannot get past the head of household, 3rd question!!! We've tried 50 or more times now. SO frustrating.
Submitted by Steve on
Site still does not allow registration. Pitiful.
Submitted by c on
I have a pre-existing condition, im 24 and my rate is still going up. Thanks for nothing!
Submitted by Maryann on
This is still a mess. I cannot finish creating an account. It tells me I am not verified when in fact you sent me an email thanking me for verifying the account. At least I could log on, yesterday it was down completely
Submitted by Dennis on
Signed up for an account for my wife on Oct 1. Could not upload file for ID proof. Seven days after account setup could not login to her account. Call center has reset password several times and that does not work, I have given up on this account. Called the call center Oct 26 and completed an application. Followed up on Oct 30 to learn there is no record of the phone application. May try to do a paper application. This will probably fail too. Time is of the essence as wife is losing current insurance Dec 31.
Submitted by bruce on
I still can not return to or complete my enrollment. Is there a way to start over?
Submitted by Sue on
I am getting very frustrated! I try to register, put in name, email, developed a log in name and password, get to the 3 security questions--then my trouble begins. No matter what questions I choose--I've tried them all--I get an error message saying that I have the same answers for a could of questions--I don't!! Anybody else run into this and have a solution?
Submitted by peter on
I had no problem creating an account prior to Oct 1, had my user name and password created and though I was ready to go!. In the weeks to follow, I tried to complete an application with multiple problems.. including errors and being continually asked to verify ID. After uploading 3 documents proving ID and having to start over each time, 2 weeks passed with no change. As of Oct 16th (approximately 2 weeks ago), I could no longer log-in to my marketplace account to view anything. I keep getting looped back to log-in continually. I have been told to try to change my password... but when I try this, the link does not work!! Frustrating... Recently, I noticed that I had 2 e-mails from the marketplace, asking me to "log in" to view the info...But the problem is....I CAN'T LOG IN!!!! So I can't read the e-mails..so I am just sitting here in limbo, wondering what the status of my application is!!. Any suggestions on what I can do? Why can't I log in to my account, ??? Obviously you have not "fixed" the log-in issue. And the link you provide for changing your password is not working either... Hope somebody takes note that the log-in issue continues!!!!!
Submitted by Jeffrey on
This woman is the exception, not the rule!
Submitted by K on
Began registration on October 5, 2013. Social Security card has first name, middle initial, last name. Site will only save first and last names. Try to edit and save, middle initial not retained. This leads to identity not being verified. Experian unable to find my information. Phone call to the Marketplace: representative was unable to answer basic questions. Paper? Worried that this will take SO long that I will not get qualified in time. Online chat...rep says on to two weeks." Really?
Submitted by Jerry on
I found when their was a stop sign on this progtam. I was able to continue away. I got plenty of info on the char line. all the people working on the chat line abswer my question and directed me where to go for more info...good job, thank you. Jerry
Submitted by Mark on
You did all that and the site is still down? You might want to turn 'On' the site to improve our overall experience.
Submitted by cliffOnTheRoad on
The programmers who advised management that the deadline would NOT be met, especially the "girl who cried" (news story) should get bonus $. Unfortunately, some other people should never have become programmers. Human Engineering was absent; Security errmsg "3 answers can not be the same", when they were not, then going back to the name screen was FUBAR