HealthCare.gov: Improving the Account Registration Process

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

We continue to improve the overall user experience each week on HealthCare.gov, so that by the end of November the site will be functioning smoothly for the vast majority of users.

As you know, one of the places we’ve seen a lot of consumer frustration is in their ability to successfully create an account.  This issue was identified on October 1 and we’ve made significant progress since then to deliver a much smoother process for consumers.

In combination, the following fixes are allowing users to successfully create an account and be able to continue through the application process.  We can now process nearly 17,000 account registrants per hour – or five per second – with an error rate near zero:

• We replaced the virtual database with a high-capacity physical one, which allowed more efficient, effective processing and significantly reduced the error rates, or account registration failures;
  • We’ve optimized software configurations to increase efficiency in system interactions;
  • We added capacity by doubling the number of servers;
  • We swapped out a directory component for another that can process more transactions simultaneously;
  • We improved the efficiency of database look-ups through software changes;
  • And we pushed through a patch release with four software fixes to address users that were having a hard time logging in to their accounts.

We are moving through the rest of our punch list to make more performance and functionality improvements as our work to improve HealthCare.gov continues.

Thanks to these fixes, people across the nation are shopping for and signing up for coverage. Deborah L., a New Hampshire native, enrolled online for a plan that “will save us hundreds of dollars each month. It has better coverage, lower deductibles, and lower copays.”  She says she “couldn’t be happier.”

To hear Deborah’s story visit: http://www.hhs.gov/healthcare/facts/blog/2013/10/affordable-coverage-deborah.html

Comments

Submitted by leisa on
i have been trying to get into my account- registration-process .i log in go to use my password it locks me out. i called for help was on hold for 3 to 4hours to be treated like i was a retard.she couldnt answer me about what was going on with my registration. she wouldnt talk to me she wanted to talk with my boyfriend, she told me to put the other person in the room on the phone that she didnt want to talk to me. she was very rude,harsh no manners, a very rude awakening . so i dont think the softwear fixed . maybe u need to fix the representative too .
Submitted by roshunda on
how do i apply
Submitted by tanya on
The login page still does not work. I've been trying for 3 weeks to login in with the new password that I get when I speak to the representative, again no help! It keeps taking me back to the same login in screen!
Submitted by Dave on
How do I make my premimum payment?
Submitted by Andrea on
I am in Florida and still get nothing when I click the create an account button. Amazing.
Submitted by Wayne on
Create an Account button does NOTHING!!!! Looks like it's not hooked up to anything at all.
Submitted by Mike on
Still can't log in after registering successfully on October 1, 2013. Each time I try, it takes me right back to the log in page.
Submitted by Ann on
I am unable to open an account.....so whatever you improved needs further work.
Submitted by Brooke on
I registered my spouse and myself early in October. Now in the shopping for plan portion, it only shows prices and insurance for me. My spouse has dropped off the pricing….what happened? Where did his info go? His SS# and name are in the system somewhere?????
Submitted by lisa on
Today 11/10/13 I can't create an account. My state is arizona. When I click on the "Create an Account" button nothing happens. It doesn't seem to be linked to anything. Wow what a fix!!! I agree the chat is like talking to a robot with automated answers that don'tn necessarily answer your question.
Submitted by Saul on
I am also from Arizona, and the same exact thing happens to me. I tried it Sunday (11/10) and it failed, and so I got on the chat, and they just referred me to a pdf file where I can fill it out by hand, but this is the 21st century, I don't have a printer at home, and my guess (hope) is that this problem will be fixed within the next week, which would be about the same time frame if I were to send the damn application through the mail. And so I tried again today (11/13) but still the tab remains unresponsive. Is this a glitch particular to AZ?
Submitted by Ronnie on
Anyone else have the problem of Healthcare.gov saying: Your detailed eligibility results are ready but when I click on the Green Bar that says: View Eligibility Results it opens another screen that is just BLANK???? and it says: Important: Read your eligibility results before you enroll!!!!!! I can get to the actual policies by clicking: Continue to Enrollment but I don't know if the prices they are showing next to the policies include my Subsidy?? or does that show up later before I finalize enrollment?? Anyone know?? Having this problem??
Submitted by dennis on
i opened account oct 17, but today nov 6, i cant see what plans are available, i got message says i didnt qualify for medicaid, i already knew that, my state didnt expand medicaid. i find out my income is 116% of the federal poverty level,
Submitted by CAC in Iowa on
I have had the same consumer come in three seperate times. The first time I couldn't get the website to work at all. They couldn't even get to the "Get Started" link. The second time she came in, We were able to set up an account, but could not get any further in the website. The third time, we started the application process and recieved an error code. Finally we resorted to the paper application and I told her she could also call the Marketplace call center. I have also went through the account and application process for myself. I have been able to review my results, choose a health insurance plan and dental plan, but ever since then, I have never been able to follow through with enrolling in these plans. It has the "Please wait" loading sign and will never go any further until it logs me out. It's frustrating as a consumer AND a CAC. I look forward to it working properly come the end of August.
Submitted by Sharron on
Got stuck after my identity was verified. Tried "chat" but it was like talking to a robot with automated responses.
Submitted by martindarlow@aol.com on
still cannot open an account. so i can't see plans or rates for small group, i called on tel and was told they could not set up an account for me and would mail me an application in 2 weeks..
Submitted by Ken on
4 times now since this crappy website was opened I have tried to create an account. It works fine right up until the email that I am supposed to get to activate my account. It never comes. No it is not getting dumped into spam or any such thing. I know enough to check that.
Submitted by Jay on
I still receive error messages when I try to log in. When will this be repaired?
Submitted by Neil on
Experian is my problem. I am a HIOS user, and I previously successfully went through Experian identity proofing for HIOS but can't for the Marketplace. I did get my Experian credit report and it shows being hit when I requested my HIOS ID and multiple times by the Marketplace in early October as I was trying to get an account to process through identity proofing. Now I get a message that tells me to call the Experian help desk and can't go any farther, but when I call, the call is terminated when I do not have a ticket number to enter. I got on the online chat and was told to send a copy of my drivers license or other documentation. I did and I am still waiting. Yes, there have been improvements, but only to get me to a new place to be stuck.
Submitted by Todd on
FORGET IT! When you get the error code on your registration attempt...It is Experian that is failing the proofing process. Experian is so mangled right now that I can't even order a credit report directly from them. If you have any difficulty, immediately call the help line and do your application by phone. You'll get done in about 30 minutes if your not too chatty. They will be most helpful.
Submitted by Bob on
Go back to Canada where you belong
Submitted by George R on
I'm so happy that Deborah was able to enroll, but that doesn't help me in the slightest. The time you spent telling Deborah's story was time you did not spend working to fix healthcare.gov functionality Advertising is not useful to the rest of us. All I want is to be able to find out PRICES. Why can't I see any plan details to make informed decisions about them rather than giving my personal details to an unsecure website per Secretary Sebeilius (sp) testimony to Congress. If a goal of ACA is insurance transparency, why does healthcare.gov hide so much information?
Submitted by John on
AMEN!! I successfully set up an account after a few weeks of trying but now can't find plan choices or prices. Ridiculous.
Submitted by Mary on
Account creation is still failing on "one or more security answers are the same" error. If this is considered no longer a issue, what else can I do besides clearing cookies and temp files. I have done that and it does not seem to make a difference. Speed does not appear to be my issue.
Submitted by Virginia on
I just tried to create a Marketplace account for the first time. I entered my name and email address, selected my state, and answered the security questions. I received an error that my name and email address are not unique. I tried a "live chat". The person was useless. She was unable to tell me why I got that error or if it is already an error that they are working on. The site and the support staff are useless. Does anyone have any idea what that error means?