Responsive Design and the New Medicare.gov

Monday, September 24, 2012

The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) launched a major redesign of the Medicare.gov website making content more accessible and easier for beneficiaries, their families, and caregivers to understand.

Blog Medicare Homepage

This redesign represents three major milestones:

1. Mobile: The redesign of Medicare.gov is our first full dive into mobile-friendly web design. We are using "responsive design" which is a new approach to web design that allows us to provide an optimal viewing experience on any device. This allows us to support traditional desktop PCs, tablets, and smartphones all from one URL and code base. That is, there is not a separate mobile or M-Dot website, but Medicare.gov itself is fully optimized when viewed on a mobile device.
  2. Working Better: The migration of Medicare.gov to the Percussion content management system means that for the first time, all of CMS' public websites are managed using the same system. This greatly increases efficiencies and allows us to reuse the same management processes across all of our websites.
  3. People First: This redesign fully embraced the principles of good web management and governance. It is the result of more than two years of research, design, and development work by CMS. Using call center questions, website analytics, and online survey results, CMS identified top user tasks including finding out what Medicare covers, cost and coordination of benefits information, and finding Medicare drug and health plans.

These changes take us strongly in the direction laid out in the Federal CIO's Digital Government Strategy. And the Digital Strategy will be a key driver of all of our web initiatives over the next 12-18 months.

Help us field test our site. Visit Medicare.gov on a smartphone or tablet and let us know what you think! What do you like and what can we work to improve?

Comments

Submitted by Bill on
To be updated on the new web design tricks, you should join an online forum. When joining these message boards you meet people who usually have an understanding of all the new web design technology. Without this new web design technology you could end up with a site that is completely outdated. For more info, read http://smashingwebs.com/
Submitted by Vitaliy M on
The responsive part of the website is great. I hope this will set the tone for other exchanges to work on responsive websites also. Because California's exchange website is not responsive yet but a lot of health insurance companies are slowly re-designing their websites to be responsive like Health Net's landing page for example is responsive. https://www.healthnet.com/portal/medicare/sem/requestinformation.sdo?leadSource=ca-splash Hopefully each state's exchange websites will become responsive so it would be a smooth transition for people to go to gov exchange website and then go to state exchange website (that will hopefully soon become responsive) and then get sent to a health insurance carrier website that is also responsive. Let's hope and wait.
Submitted by GeekWebPk on
Hope these changes will strongly laid out in direction to Federal CIO's GOV strategy. Thank you so much for helpful information though.
Submitted by Dave on
The responsive design aspect of your work is excellent. Where I have a problem is making sense of the differences between medicare.gov and mymedicare.gov. In some case the information resources offered in one area is different but I'm not sure why. Might be better if there was more consistency across these two major areas of your site. .
I have neither a "smart phone" or a Tablet. I am 70 yrs. of age and "home bound", I have a normal dumb new cellphone, I also have a MacPro Desktop Computer. I spend all day on this computer doing important things. Medicare is very important, it is astounding that so called smart phones are being catered to, and astounding to me that now that includes such importance regarding anything Medicare! I did not read that Mac's were mentioned above. Anyone who bothers to even read these comments need to know so called Smart Phones are not safe, and totally inappropriate for information regarding Medicare. So what is coming soon for all of those like myself? As for Social Media, nothing important should ever use the so called Social Media. We are in a time where hackers already are doing well. Social Media for all important things is totally inappropriate. My mind is totally fine, please get some sense and do not use either Social Media or Cellphones. Your wonderful new plan is quite Scary!
Good idea. but you might have to advertise on T.V. and ads in Newspapers or on billboards because i know my mom doesn't get on the internet or on her email. She is totally against those things but she will drive or have my stepdad drive and she will look at signs
I don't use my smartphone for going on line because of the data costs. I don't own a tablet computer.
Hey! I have medicare and I use a smart phone, an ipad and a computer!!! I am old not useless. I am glad this is available for us to access information.
I was shut down during the middle of finding/adding my drugs. What is "time expired" mean? I don't even type slow.
President Obama's work to improve and preserve Medicare for America has my complete support. No way do I want greedy Wall Street Bankers managing my healthcare nor the healthcare of my loved ones.
President Obama and his administration are doing a fantastic job in getting information out and making access to information more available. President Obama's plans for Medicare are exactly what America needs now, and in the future.
I'm about ready Medicare myself so this site is on time for me. I will visiting the site regularly to learn more about Medicare and how it works.
It would be nice to have an area on this web page to download this as an app. site.
My parents are 79 and 80 years old and not only do they both use computers but they send text messages to their grandson and skype with grand-daughter. They loved using my Ipad on vacation recently and will test our your site later today
I am all for "good web management and governance" if it brings improvement to care and hospital accountability. I found navigating the the Medicare website impossible to file a complaint about patient care. My father required two more hospital visits in about a month after having both valves replaced in the left chamber of his heart due to fluid overload. Waiting to see if this is functional and serves a purpose...
I think it is great! Baby boomers are computer savvy, and this means for them easy access to something new they have to deal with. The explanations are very simple, and easy to understand. The links are clear enough to find all the information you need with just a few key strokes. Good Job!
NOPE, IT IS NOT A WASTE: gIVEN, MOST SENIORS DO NOT USE A COMPUTER. BUT A HIGHER PERCENTAGE EVERY YEAR IS, CAUSE THE OLDER SENIORS ARE PASSING AWAY, AND THE BABY BOOMER SENIORS ARE COMING ON, AND MANY OF THEM HAD COMPUTERS IN THEIR WORKLIFE AND ARE NOT AFRAID OF THEM. i HAD COMPUTERS SINCE BACK IN 1984 AS A TRAVEL AGENT. THEY DON'T BITE, THEY ARE GOOD TO USE, IF TAKEN IN PERSPECTIVE AND NOT USED TO MUCH - ANYTHING CAN BE ABUSED - I MEAN, SOME PEOPLE EAT ICE CREAM TILL IT MAKES THEM SICK.
YOU TELL US: A lot of us are mature in age (aka old). We have figured out a smart phone but we don't know what Medicare.gov can do on the smart phone. So, you give us a few examples, and thusly encourage us to get to thinking how we could utilize our phones with your WEB site. Even in the bible, a story is given, an example(s) made, and then the reader is encouraged to go and do likewise. We are not Rocket Scientist we need some inspiration. [name withheld for privacy]
Who are what is CMS?
I use the Medicare.gov site regularly, but more often than not the Request MSN facility is not working and I must login many times to successfully request one MSN. Also your choice to disable use of the back button and open in new window or open in new Tab choices on right click makes it much more cumbersome to navigate this system.
SPENDING TAX MONEY ON MORE STUPID THINGS. HELP SOMETHING THAT NEEDS CHANGING.
God Work
Great works
The comment of 9/26/12 10:25 is an example of the prejudice of ageism that stereotypes older adults and reinforces aging as incompetence and disability. That prejudicial stereotype causes learned helplessness and increases the health care costs significantly! Appreciating and understanding the promotion of the "Liberation" stage as competent with creativity and resilience adds 7.5 years of healthy living to the end of life, cutting costs for stereotypical prejudices.
I like the new design on the main Medicare.gov web site. I would however, like to make a suggestion for the "Plan Finder" section. Is there any way to streamline the process when there is already an existing Drug List ID number? Perhaps Step 1 could initially ask if there is an existing Drug List ID and Password already established, then ask for any updates. Some people often visit this site for updates to plans offered.