Glad You Asked: Calls To Action

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

We’re getting lots of comments, as you can see; some critical; some complimentary, some questioning. One question jumped out as a great way to explain just what “interaction” means here, and how we hope to benefit from the conversation:

Visitor: 15 comments over the past week, but I don't see any engagement with the host. It isn't engagement if people post and never hear back. Do you take the comments back to a secret committee? Does an underling approve stuff that does not have curse words? Is there a report to leadership? How does this "engagement" impact the decisions of HHS? Or NIH? Or the government? Some good and interesting ideas on this post. But then they are just sitting here. Kinda lonely.

Comment submitted on the blog post Putting People First

No, no secret committees. Though we do screen for appropriateness (and so far have been able to post every comment we’ve gotten). Ironically, as you were sending this comment, we were posting our first response to comments (see “Continuing the Conversation). We aggregate comments weekly and those reports go to senior managers. And they are right there for everyone to see.

Description: Call To Action The ideas submitted to our “Calls to Action” are likewise aggregated and will help to inform web decisions moving forward. “Call to Action” ideas have not been posted yet (a site-design issue) but will be shortly and we will be looking for “crowd wisdom” in determining which suggestions most warrant action. We don’t want them to feel lonely!

Visitor: I don't like supermarkets. I prefer to order things online and have them delivered to me.

Comment submitted on the People First page.

Touché. But how about an online supermarket (think large South American river)? And no waiting for delivery! That’s our goal for topical websites.

Thanks for your comments. Keep them coming. And watch here for response and reaction.

Comments

You do put out news, but you fail to answer questions submitted by people. Why??? I know of 20 people that sends letters/emails to the HHS and never heard back from them. [name withheld for privacy]
It could be good -- I too link links on food, but would like to know where as I do not jet around the country. Also bottom line -- should be costs -- to us....
I find the font on the new Healthcare Finder API site very difficult to read. While my eyes are over 5 decades old, I don't have this same difficulty on other HHS sites.
this is a good start....
this site have best news about health. hhs is my favorite site and i always check emails from it
I have to say I am impressed with your site and the info I get, the only downside is how difficult it is to follow up and get back to individual researchers. Two articles I have read recently regard; I. An area I have worked on in the past and wished to pass on research that may give them ideas to get beyond the next question. 2. An area I am currently working in which may provide the next step to researchers in the 'Super agers'. Science is piecing together a giant puzzle. Yes it would be nice to get the credit, but if I have a piece of the puzzle that is going to put my son's brain back into working order I am more than happy to contribute it to someone who is in a position to take it further forward than I am. If only it were that easy! I welcome anything that gets science moving forward to the point where we are talking. At a consultation in London recently on progressing children's research development I raised the question of reaching out and talking beyond borders especially for rarer conditions where parents have to talk to parents the other side of the world to find someone who is walking the same path.
Health information make people know situation before hand
I subscribe to an FDA listserv that sends out notices on foods that have been recalled. Do whom should I send a suggestion for these notices? There is no way to know in which states these foods are being sold. There used to be a hotlink which, when clicked on, would take you to a website that gave this info but the notices no longer have these links. Even when the links were available it would have been mor user-friendly to have this info in the e-mail.
The visiter is correct. I have been trying to engage anyone that works in the health field in various departments of the government, e.g. the CDC, HHS, Homeland Security and others to discuss new ideas. I have one, which I have developed into a product that could help reduce occurances of colds, and flu, considerably at minimal cost....Hands-free handles which keep germs off of hands for hi-traffic entry doors, business restrooms etc. Outstanding ROI also. It would address problems mentioned in the movie CONTAGION