Offices of the Assistant Secretary for Health
Public Health Offices
The following offices under the Assistant Secretary for Health are cornerstones for delivery of public health services.
- Office of the Surgeon General (OSG): Provides Americans the best scientific information available on how to improve their health and reduce their risk of illness and injury. The Office also manages the operations of the Commissioned Corps of the US Public Health Service.
- National Vaccine Program Office (NVPO): Ensures collaboration among the many federal agencies involved in vaccine and immunization activities.
- Office of Adolescent Health (OAH): Coordinates adolescent health promotion and disease prevention initiatives across HHS.
- Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion (ODPHP): Provides leadership, coordination and policy development for public health and prevention activities. Leads the Healthy People initiative for HHS.
- Office of HIV/AIDS and Infectious Disease Policy (OHAIDP): The Office of HIV/AIDS and Infectious Disease Policy is responsible for coordinating, integrating, and directing the Department’s policies, programs, and activities related to HIV/AIDS, viral hepatitis, other infectious diseases of public health significance, and blood safety and availability.
- Office for Human Research Protections (OHRP): Supports, strengthens and provides leadership to the nation’s system for protecting volunteers in research conducted or supported by HHS.
- Office of Minority Health (OMH): Addresses health status and quality of life for minority populations in the United States.
- Office of Population Affairs (OPA): Advises on issues related to family planning and population affairs.
- Office of Research Integrity (ORI): Promotes integrity in research programs of the Public Health Service, both intramural and extramural, and responds to allegations of research misconduct.
- Office on Women’s Health (OWH): Improves the health of American women by advancing a comprehensive women’s health agenda throughout HHS.
- Presidential Commission for the Study of Bioethical Issues (PCSBI): Advises on ethical issues related to advances in biomedical science and technology.
- President's Council on Fitness, Sports and Nutrition (PCFSN): Advises on issues related to fitness, sports and nutrition in America.