Promoting Efficient Conference Spending Policy
December 16, 2013
|To:||OPDIV and STAFFDIV Heads|
|From:||Ellen G. Murray / Signed /|
Assistant Secretary for Financial Resources
|Subject:||HHS Policy on Promoting Efficient Spending: Use of Appropriated Funds for Conferences and Meeting Space, Food, Promotional Items, and Printing and Publications|
The purposes of this memorandum are to remind the Department of Health and Human Services’ (HHS) Operating and Staff Divisions of the following Policies on Promoting Efficient Spending (previous versions: June 24, 2013 and June, 7 2012), and update the policy on Conferences and Meeting Space:
- Use of Appropriated Funds for Conferences and Meeting Space – Issued January 3, 2012, updated June 7, 2012, May 15, 2013, June 24, 2013, and December 16, 2013
- Use of Appropriated Funds for Food – Issued January 3, 2012
- Use of Appropriated Funds for Promotional Items – Issued January 3, 2012
- Use of Appropriated Funds for Printing and Publications – Issued January 3, 2012
These policies promote the Department’s commitment to comply with appropriations law and to make sure that our dollars are being spent efficiently and wisely, and support the:
- Executive Order on Promoting Efficient Spending (EO 13589);
- Executive Order on Delivering an Efficient, Effective, and Accountable Government (EO 13576);
- Office of Management and Budget (OMB) Memorandum on Eliminating Excess Conference Spending and Promoting Efficiency in Government (M-11-35); and OMB Memorandum on Promoting Efficient Spending to Support Agency Operations (M-12-12).
These policy revisions are effective immediately and apply to all sources of funds (whether from an annual appropriation, multi-year appropriation, no year appropriation, appropriated user fee, mandatory appropriation, gift funds, or reimbursements from such appropriations, etc.), as well as non-appropriated funds, i.e., those set by law, etc.
Please share this transmittal memorandum and the attached policies with all appropriate officials within your OPDIV or STAFFDIV. Questions regarding this policy may be addressed to Clarence Randall, of the Office of Grants and Acquisition Policy and Accountability (OGAPA), at email@example.com.
HHS Policy on Promoting Efficient Spending (December 16, 2013): Use of Appropriated Funds for Conferences and Meetings, Food, Promotional Items, and Printing and Publications
- Attachment 1: HHS Policy on Use of Appropriated Funds for Conferences and Meeting Space